HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:30 PM
United States, MA, Middlesex
Joined Sep 2010
14 Posts
Discussion
Opinions pls. on Traxxas Rustler XL-5 vs Stampe

Hi All:

I have been flying electric helis for almost one year. I use a DX7 and fly spectrum based helis. Several months ago I bought a large nitro heli at a flea market. It was fun but very expensive to maintain when things dd not go well. So I sold it. I have been thinking for awhile I would enjoy an electric truck. My passion is fpr hot rods and fast cars so the rc car/truck route would be fun for me.. Something I could use on pavement and grass. I have collected enough money from the nitro sale to buy a truck in the $200.00 price range. I came across the Traxxas Rustler XL-5

http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Rust..._p/tra3705.htm

The reviews seem positive. Anyone have a personal experience with this truck? Good or bad? Is it a good beginners truck? I know what breaks when you crash a heli. What are common parts that break on a truck and why?

or would I be better off with the TRA3605 Stampe since I want it to run on grass?

Thanks,

x-nitro
x-nitro is offline Find More Posts by x-nitro
Last edited by x-nitro; Sep 22, 2010 at 02:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:02 PM
modded BCP
Chesterfield Mo
Joined Oct 2007
55 Posts
My Stampede takes on grass really easily. Both it and the Ruslter are pretty good choices.
aximbigfan is offline Find More Posts by aximbigfan
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:23 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,367 Posts
They are both great trucks I have the Rustler it's OK on the grass and great on the dirt. With the right tires it's good on the pavement too. There are a ton of upgrades for both. I like the stadium style truck a little better because you could run it on a track. It has a lower center of gravity so it will turn better then the Stampede. Stampede is more of a backyard basher both are a good choice.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:46 PM
Joined Sep 2010
10 Posts
i have just picked up a rustler myself for a project that doesn't really relate to what most people use them for and i have alot of fun with testing the maneuverability and speeds. after doing some research for what i am doing, i found that choosing any of the traxxis products is a good idea. seems you can get parts anywhere you would find a hobby shop and almost anything you can think of can be upgraded. i have been pretty rough with it while testing the turns and what it can drive over and i have yet to break or wear anything (other than some scratches). being a person with no real experience with this, i can say that i have made a good choice because everything is simple in design, use and function.

another thing i have found is if you plan on major upgrades choosing the base model of the rustler/stampede/bandit (conceptually identical) is your best bet because you will be setting all of the other bells and whistles aside and likely not using them on anything else. they all will except the same parts for the most part and are very fun to play with lol.
kevinkris is offline Find More Posts by kevinkris
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:52 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
The Stampede is a better choice for grass and the like.

Jim
Stamp is online now Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Oct 17, 2010, 07:47 PM
Joined May 2007
258 Posts
hello guys, just wanted to know if the rustler xl-5 is a good option to buy , been looking around and have seen some other options like the circuit from HH but the looks of it are not good : P and beside that its all plastic chasis, another good option have read about is the duratrax evader ext and the new ext2 , the ext2 has metal parts and links and seems a good option but have read someone said its shock absorbers are not very good : ( and that it will involve beside that in other frequent cost of repairs even though it has a 1 year parts warranty on important parts as the shocks , but have looking at the rustler and its nice looking and seems better at running from the videos on YT so would like your advice : should i buy the rustler xl-5 or the duratrax ext2 , that has this options ( metal-capped shocks, precision metal idler gear, and metal front linkages ), would really appreciate your advise as this will be my first rc car and want to make the best investment in $ , the rustler seems better than the xl-5 but is more pricey : ( , and if the xl-5 is the best option could it be reinforced to make it stronger as the vxl in the long run ?? well will be waiting your coments and advices : )
computerpc is offline Find More Posts by computerpc
Last edited by computerpc; Oct 17, 2010 at 09:40 PM.