HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GimpyPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:36 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Discussion
Landing Gear-ectomy and Transplant Complete

After the issues with the gear collapse during taxi tests on Monday afternoon, I resolved to replace the stock main gear mechanisms. I stopped by the LHS and picked up a set of Thunder Tiger .10 Mains and spent a couple hours last night in minor surgery.

Removing the stocks wasn't as bad as I was afraid it might be and the Thunder Tiger mechanisms mount to the stock top plates but are WAY stronger and much more stable.

I removed the allen head set screw in the mechanism axle/pivot, pulled out the TT struts and then drilled out the base enough to accept the slightly wider shock struts. I then aligned the struts as best I could, reset the set screw, and put on a dab of CA to secure the struts. I am a little concerned because the shock strut features a flat surface that is inboard, while the TT base set screw is from the FWD/AFT side - that is part of why I hit the joint between the base and strut with some CA.

I adjusted the gear servos and zero point on the gear to a point where I get a little chatter/draw when retracted but they are locked down good and solid. The downlock is super solid, I am really happy with that, but the uplock is difficult at best.

Will maiden this afternoon if conditions permit and then continue adjusting the gear until both the up and down don't chatter but are solidy locked. This may be an issue with the retracted position because the wider shock strut seems to interfere with the operating rod, preventing a solid uplock - we will see.
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
to remove ads between posts