HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2010, 02:14 AM
Abu Dhabi
Joined Dec 2005
431 Posts
Discussion
Christian Schauberger DG 800 turbine

Hi
I have a Christian Schauberger DG 800 6Meter and want to fit a 8 kg turbine instead of a SLS. I will use a pod that will be removable but not retractable as the fuzz is to small.
My main concern is heat on the tail. Any advice in this matter will be great.

Regards
Alex
alex louw is offline Find More Posts by alex louw
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:49 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,478 Posts
Go the a Jet forum. There is a coating they use on airframe surfaces that keeps the heat down.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:30 AM
Abu Dhabi
Joined Dec 2005
431 Posts
Hi
I am using the BVM heat shield on my jets but I do not think it is the best solution as it still heats up just takes longer. I was thinking of making a false L/E for the tail and to mount it with a 2 mm gap so that air can pass between the false L/E and the real flying surfaces. This way it will shield the surface from the direct heat and still cool the original with the airflow.
When I spoke with christian about this he was also concerned about the heat causing the structure to weaken.
I have seen a few scale ships with a turbine and hoped I will find someone here with some experiance.

Thanks for the info
Alex
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:51 PM
Holland
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
One trick used by the Paritech guys on their turbined gliders is mounting the turbine such that its centerline is a bit off from the centerline of the fuselage. The main hot core of the blast misses the tail LE and no problems whatsoever. No adverse effects in flight and during the ground start you have to counter a little bit with rudder, something you have to do anyway.
I spoke them about this at the Jetpower 2010 last week where they showed off four of their gliders, fitted with turbines. Their two show flights were a blast. Got some pics if you like.
Harm is offline Find More Posts by Harm
Old Sep 22, 2010, 02:28 PM
Abu Dhabi
Joined Dec 2005
431 Posts
Hi Harm

Thanks it will be nice. One of my friends ordered from them the fox with the turbine. I could not make it this year but will not miss it next time.
I was thinking to do the offset but it just looks a bit odd but I think I can mount the pod straight and offset the turbine in the pod.
I finally have the Let SlS working but did a lot of mods to get it to work good. It seems quite relaible now. I added some pics.

Regards
Alex
Old Sep 22, 2010, 02:36 PM
Abu Dhabi
Joined Dec 2005
431 Posts
more
Old Sep 22, 2010, 03:46 PM
So that's how you throw a DLG!
USA, NC, Sugar Grove
Joined Dec 2009
154 Posts
There was a Fox sailplane at Fly-For-Tots last weekend. You can look at some of the pictures from that event and see a picture of it. There is a spliter behind the turbine in a "Y" shape. There is also a small heat shield on the vertical.
rmmoorejr is offline Find More Posts by rmmoorejr
Old Sep 22, 2010, 03:48 PM
Holland
Joined Jan 2004
354 Posts
Alex,

This Fox:

Jet Power: Ali Machinchy flying the turbine powered Pari Fox (5 min 54 sec)
Harm is offline Find More Posts by Harm
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:17 PM
Central Point, OR.
Joined May 2002
2,922 Posts
I realize that these turbine powered sailplanes have little to do with actual soaring, but they are sooooo cool! No "watching paint dry" here!

Randy
Ranfred Radius is offline Find More Posts by Ranfred Radius
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:24 AM
Melbourne,Victoria,Australia
Joined Apr 2010
1,488 Posts
Nice looking glider-the dg 800,you should be able to catch some good thermals with it.What not leave it as is,the cost of the sls system has to pay for itself,it wont, by removing it,and spending even more on a turbine.regards damo
Damian Couzoff is offline Find More Posts by Damian Couzoff
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2010, 07:36 AM
No substitute for aspect ratio
Norwalk, CT aka the Nutmeg State -- I just can't seem to find any %$#@! nutmeg here?
Joined Nov 2003
2,225 Posts
Alex - Here's a good example of a stand off heat shield on a turbine sailplane.

There are a couple shots of the Paritech turbine in the second post down here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284692

Keep us posted on your progress!

Steve
SPasierb is offline Find More Posts by SPasierb
Last edited by SPasierb; Sep 23, 2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:28 PM
Abu Dhabi
Joined Dec 2005
431 Posts
Hi
I have one DG with a SLS that christain is doing for me now and I have one that I wanted to use for aerotow. In the UAE there is no big glider scene so I wanted to convert one of my gliders to turbine.
I plan to do the pod removable with only a small hatch to close all the connections so it can be easily converted to a pure thermal ship for aerotow as well.
I have a few gliders with SLS systems so I want something differant.
I will take pictures as I get started.
I am currently busy with the 9 meter DG 1000 that I bought from Mario. I can post some pictures of all the mods I am doing if you guys are interested.

Thanks for all the answers
Alex
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:55 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,650 Posts
Thanks for the video Harm. Wow, that is an incredible sequence of maneuvers.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:57 PM
Born to be free
undefined
Joined Sep 2004
413 Posts
Since you're gonna use a fixed pod why not use a small Y exhaust pipe?
tommyt is offline Find More Posts by tommyt
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:33 PM
Fight On!
San Salvador, El Salvador
Joined May 2001
603 Posts
I'm finishing a Reichard 3.5M Fox with a Wren 44. I made a new horizontal tail leading edge cover out of litho plate and covered it with this http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=1838 . If it doesn't work, I intend on using .003 stainless steel.
mario alvarez is offline Find More Posts by mario alvarez