SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:28 AM
USA, FL, Panacea
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
Discussion
4 channel vs 3 channel questions

Hey guys,

I have been flying a 4 channel Walkera Lama 400D for a little while, and I have gotten pretty good with it. After a couple weeks of crashes and repairs and sets of blades, I no longer worry about crashing or losing control. And I have become a fairly decent mechanic.

Now, this might sound crazy, but I am thinking about moving to a 3 channel coax for a bit. There is a reason: I use the helicopter as a platform for amateur low altitude aerial photography, and I found a gigantic and cheap 3 channel coax

Link to it: http://www.bananahobby.com/1999.html

Now, I have never flown a 3 channel before, and I am really curious about how different it would be to control and fly. Would it be more stable or less stable? Do you guys think this should be able to lift 3.6oz like my 400D?

Thanks!
APJudson is offline Find More Posts by APJudson
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:53 AM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,384 Posts
There may be a thread on Volitation under coax. Look there for the craft's flight and durability characteristics.

Banana hobby has been one of the more problematic 'name' vendors.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:17 AM
⤤ ⤳ ⤴ ⇲
Joined Aug 2008
1,214 Posts
Why would you want to even consider it? You might as well stand out in the street and throw money at the passing traffic. Really.
The 400D was a good start, maybe you could think about doing the brushless conversion on it, there's a ready made kit for it. Add the xtreme extended shaft and high perf blades, and you have the ideal platform for what you want to do.
Anything less than 4 channel is just no good, ok for planes, not helis.
As for the Volitation, as Killbucket said ... pure poocopter.

regards
mono
mono is offline Find More Posts by mono
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:33 AM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
It is a coptergeist... it was my first and I enjoyed it, for 5 days; however one night it flew...next day...nothing...no crash...no reason... it just sits and blinks.
It is a common issue check youtube; while it "might" be the board... it might just as easily be something else... and the parts coming from China are slow and not cheap.
So a 20.00 board + shipping might repair a 59.00 heli.....not for me.

I agree with mono, upgrade what you have.
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict