HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:12 AM
Love anything RC
Alexandria, Virginia
Joined Mar 2008
3,575 Posts
Question
Slash 4x4 must have upgrades

Would owners of the Slash 4x4 help me identified "must have" upgrades for the Slash 4x4. I'm not looking for blink to make the truck look better. I'm looking for upgrades to help with improvement on handling, performance, durability, etc.
I know there are some Traxxas upgrades but I don't know which one are just blink over actual improvements. Any recommendations, suggestions or opinions would be appreciated.

If there is a place where I can check out online these upgrades (sometimes companies only do upgrades for certain products but I don't know if there is anything like that for cars) let me know so I can check it out. Thanks in advance!
merlin703 is offline Find More Posts by merlin703
Last edited by merlin703; Sep 22, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:43 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,832 Posts
Most will upgrade the shocks, then suspension arms and bumpers , the rest can probably wait until you break them OR you can wait for all the parts to break before upgrading. Why is upgrading a must for you.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:07 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
RPM A-arms once the stock ones break, if you don't have aluminum big bore shocks already proline powerstrokes would be the best, but the traxxas ones will suffice. don't get integy anything. next would be a better esc and a 550 brushless motor by tekin or novak, or a tekin rx8.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:22 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
I agree with Freechip, Just drive the hell out of it and replace what breaks with better parts.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:44 AM
Love anything RC
Alexandria, Virginia
Joined Mar 2008
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
RPM A-arms once the stock ones break, if you don't have aluminum big bore shocks already proline powerstrokes would be the best, but the traxxas ones will suffice. don't get integy anything. next would be a better esc and a 550 brushless motor by tekin or novak, or a tekin rx8.
Good tips, thanks. I will research "proline powerstrokes". So far I have a list of Traxxas upgrades I was able to get my hands on. It's good to know there are aftermarket upgrades. I also did see the "integy" upgrades. Very limited choice they have. The only thing I considered from "integy" is the lower tray to prevent the dust and little stones to get in the car... I'm not sure how useful or effective it is. They say no mods needed, just install it. My Slash 4x4, as it's now sucks all dirt from the ground.

By the way, does anyone know who makes snow tires for the Slash 4x4 and my new posesion, the Traxxas Summit to be arriving at the end of the week or next week? I think snow tires are a must now that Summer is over.

@freechip, I hate having any of my toys down. I love having them ready to go. I want to build up a list of items I need and order them in advance. That way I have them available when needed and save in shipping (free shipping). Also, a weak part when breaks in action can cause other parts. Instead, I would rather upgrade to better parts once I see the stock part is looking crappy. I hope that explains why I'm looking at "must have" upgrades.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:37 PM
Under Warranty!
Washington State
Joined Feb 2006
495 Posts
I know the parts here wont fit, but they are for the wider standing E-revo vxl. These parts are your "must haves" if you would. The only thing I might renig on is the turnbuckles. They work well don't get me wrong, but when you crash hard they bend.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217116
2sicMiniT is offline Find More Posts by 2sicMiniT
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:13 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
i think this is the slash 4x4 1/10. not the mini one.

proline powerstrokes are shocks made by www.prolineracing.com. they have an undertray that might help with the rock issue to, and jconcepts.net has an overtray to keep stuff out from above, they might be worth getting to fix it.

proline has a lot of tires for short course, i'd check em all out. i like mine a lot.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:16 AM
Love anything RC
Alexandria, Virginia
Joined Mar 2008
3,575 Posts
$50 bucks for shocks... I'm shocked!
Thanks for the link. I believe I'll be available to start getting my upgrades fairly soon.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 02:06 PM
Under Warranty!
Washington State
Joined Feb 2006
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
i think this is the slash 4x4 1/10. not the mini one.
In that case I still recommend those upgrades all the same. Overall is a sweet design snd does not need alot to improve handling.
2sicMiniT is offline Find More Posts by 2sicMiniT
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:11 PM
Love anything RC
Alexandria, Virginia
Joined Mar 2008
3,575 Posts
Any ideas on material or brand to look for snow tires?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:52 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin703 View Post
$50 bucks for shocks... I'm shocked!
Thanks for the link. I believe I'll be available to start getting my upgrades fairly soon.
yes, they are expensive. i've been droolingover them for a long time for my 2wd, but i have better upgrades for it right now. one day, one day.

but they are worth it if your willing to use the cash for it.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:01 AM
Spinning along
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Dec 2010
450 Posts
Bumping an old thread, but is anyone running the Proline undertray with the j concepts overtray?
nsx_23 is offline Find More Posts by nsx_23