HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 11, 2010, 04:40 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
894 Posts
Luca,
I chose the 3.7g servo from Hobby King. The S0251 looks like a nice servo but I have never tried one that small. It might be a good choice, but I would be afraid it might be too small for this application.

My progress looks like post #37. I do have a Blue Bird 303 servo that I could use to continue the build but it has a stripped gear. I have a busy family plan this week so I don't think I would have much shop time anyways.
Palmettoflyer is offline Find More Posts by Palmettoflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:17 PM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
894 Posts
Well it's time to dig this thread back up. My order from Hobby King came about a week ago and I've been busy at the work bench with the few spare minutes I've gotten lately. Without much to say, I'll just let my pictures update the progress. Wing is covered with Polyspan and two coats of WBP. Third coat will be color once I get to that step.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:30 PM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
894 Posts
One last shot showing the Hstab in place on the fuselage. That's it for today.
Old Oct 25, 2010, 04:38 AM
'Ol Miland
Milan, Italy
Joined Oct 2004
38 Posts
Hi Monroe, I'm glad to see your progress , I like your arrangenment for stab and servos
If you don't need detachable horizontal so your work will be a bit easier.
I like the appearance of Polyspan very much ! It seems quite tight and easy to follow curves, I'will read some specs about it
I know your limited building time and I think you work quite quickly
I hope to see more pics !
...just last Sunday I fly my Skylark in a typical autumnal Po valley morning : dead air , a lot of humidity and few degrees above zero..

a presto, Ciao!

Luca
orsi bruno is offline Find More Posts by orsi bruno
Old Nov 03, 2010, 07:38 AM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Good progress! I agree with Luca, the polyspan works well on the wing.
Keep up the good work.
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Nov 08, 2010, 04:51 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
894 Posts
Thanks for the nice comments. Sorry there hasn't been any progress for the past 2 weeks. I just returned from a business trip to Germany. Now that I'm home I'll be back on it in a day or two, just as soon as I can get back on a regular schedule.

The fun part to report is that I got to spend a day at the Deutsches Flugwert Museum on the north side of Munich.

http://www.deutsches-museum.de/en/fl...t/information/

This is a very nice museum with lots of stuff to see. They also have a little setup display of pylon controlled electric model planes.

I've attached a few pictures but don't want to get too of based on the subject. I was thinking we need a good thread going on RCG someplace to share museum information for people that are planning trips.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:40 PM
'Ol Miland
Milan, Italy
Joined Oct 2004
38 Posts
Simple Delta

Hi Monroe! I was busy recently too...I like the electric pole pics, this sorta of E-C/L set up is an idea that was going on through my mind some times ago for alternative indoor flyin'... I remember a german made flyin' toy that I received for Xmas during my childhood : it was a little plane with celluloid fuse enclosing a clockwork motor spinning a functional prop , the plane had a line on the top CG hanging from the floor of dining room it flew in circle..lets me open mouthed for hours.. Memories apart..I post some pics of my last model, a simple delta
with tractor outrunner in front very easy and fun to build inspired to a post on fliyng wing thread. I test fly recently , it is quite sensitive so I reduce servo travel about 50% ....landings was not ever so smooth anyway no demages occourred due to it's lightness, any comments welcomed !

Ciao, a presto, Luca
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:47 PM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
894 Posts
Luca,
Your Delta project is very nice. You must be a professional photographer as all your pictures are quite nice. My pictures mostly show what a cluttered workbench and garage that I have to work in. Tell us more about your Delta, is it from a vintage plan or something else you have found or designed? Be sure to start a thread on it in the appropriate area so others who like delta wings can enjoy them. I believe there is a flying wing forum here on RCGroups.

Today I had a chance to work on my Skylark again. I'm happy to say it is complete up to the point where I'm ready to start the finishing. Here are a few pictures that show it in a dry stage assembled. Next I will cover the horizontal stab and I also plan to cover the fuselage. It will add a touch bit more weight but hopefully, it will help keep the moisture out of the wood over time. I need to take some weight measurements to see where I am. In any case, I'm betting it will need nose weight. The nose wheel is not glued in yet and can be one of the items along with battery position for tweaking the CG balance. Luca, where does your Skylark balance? Is it closer to 50% or the traditional 30% from the wing leading edge?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:05 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
894 Posts
I did a quick check this morning and piled up everything on my scale. As it is in the picture with everything added less a Rx, the weight is 159g or 5.6 oz.. So I'm looking at coming in just a few grams over 160g (I hope).
Old Nov 15, 2010, 10:56 AM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,058 Posts
Sure is a cute design. Are plans available?
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:12 PM
Newport News, Va
Joined Sep 2004
649 Posts
Brokenspar,
See post 487.
Gene
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...265873&page=33
rchopper56 is offline Find More Posts by rchopper56
Old Nov 15, 2010, 12:23 PM
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,058 Posts
Thanks, RCchopper!
brokenspar is offline Find More Posts by brokenspar
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:20 AM
'Ol Miland
Milan, Italy
Joined Oct 2004
38 Posts
CG position

Dear Monroe,
I like your last pics , they show your progress ..I'm glad to see You'r almost ready to go!..and have a lot of fun with your Skylark as I do.
During building process I beared in mind to put weight as forward as possible , 'cos the goal was don't add any extra weight for balance.
The firewall is 5 layer birch ply oversized to support the tiny 10 gr outrunner but a rock steady fundation for the fuse and a desirable extra weight in front!
the lipos velcroed directly on removable hatch, are positioned against the firewall.
I choose extralight A balsa for solid fin and rud and light built-up construction for H stab.The wheel has solid turned metal hub.No prop saver but solid alu spinner/adapter (I like it much more than O rings .
That solutions get me a 70% CG position, this means the point of static balance falls exactly at 70 mm from LE .
In the maiden I put 5/6 coils of tiny "Rosin" (flux cored solderin) around landing gear leg and gradually removed to 0 during test .
This value give me a good lateral stability, no tendency to nose up and/or stall under power but a long flat pattern during glide.
Anyway we remembers this is a FF project with extra-long longitudinal brace, designed to glide as long as possible
with a deep dihedral to self stabilty ...many F.A.I. FF screamers of the 50's and 60's show a very backward CG position..Illustrious Ramrod and Hogan
had its CG back at 80/85% of the chord, more Xtreme design like Sizzler 40 , just on T.E.! So don't worry Monroe, leave the lead in the fishing box and start with a good 60% .. taylor the final value to your personal taste ... !
Ciao e a presto , Luca
Last edited by orsi bruno; Nov 19, 2010 at 10:25 AM. Reason: clickin' error :=I number 2 ..sorry
Old Nov 19, 2010, 09:45 AM
Mount Pleasant, SC
Joined Jun 2002
894 Posts
Luca,
Thank you for the nice words.

Did you ever measure where the CG point is on the wing?

My Skylark covering with polyspan is in progress. Slowly but surely as I get time to work on it.