HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:12 AM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Discussion
Hype Fox and Hype Corvalis (from Kyosho)

Hype-RC is a Kyosho subsidiary in Germany and is the European distributor some really nice models. Two of them are the Fox and Corvalis. What surprises me is that there seems to be no importer/distributor of these ARF kits in the U.S. And that's a shame because they are excellent in design and flying quality. There are a some other Foxes and Corvalises available, such as from HobbyKing and Windrider in China. But less expensive cost and/or better-looking appearances are deceiving—in my opinion the Hype models are a better deal. And in the end you pay nearly the same.

The Fox sport glider has been around for nearly 2 years and early this year it was offered with a power setup; the Cessna Corvalis has been available for just over 1 year. Both have power setups that are problem free and more than adequate, and most everything needed to fly is preinstalled or provided with the kit sans radio and battery (unless you buy the RTF versions). You also won't notice any control linkages because they are all built in and hidden, not unlike the real aircraft they represent.

I bought mine last spring and took them with me to Oregon for my August vacation—and I had a blast flying the heck out of them without any problems. They are robust EPP and everything works fine; the servos are tight and without slop, the ESCs in mine never got hot, and the models attracted lots of attention. One of my clubmates in Oregon has been trying hard to find either one stateside (he really wants the Fox), but he's been forced to consider ordering direct from Germany. A few guys at a fun-fly I attended near Eugene, Oregon, were equally impressed and would like one or the other—or both!

The Fox soars nicely, can go fast or slow, can do good aerobatics (for a sailplane), and can themal nicely. On that hot, dry day in the flat fields near Eugene, I used a ThunderPower 3s 2200mAh pack and was up a good 45 minutes before my hands got tired and I landed. I used the motor to dart around and also go back up when it lost the thermals. Afterwards the battery took in only 500mAh during charge. Not bad. I could have easily stayed up another 90 minutes under similar conditions.

The Cessna Corvalis has a short thread in the Discussion Groups that's over a year old, but it's seen virtually no activity—and all posts are apparently from Europe. This model flies like it's on rails, is quite fast and can slow down to near walking speed with the flaps down, and it's nearly stall-proof. It's not fast in the rolls, but it's even. The nose gear strut is durable and can take a beating, but the soft foam wheels are best suited for hard surfaces and not a lot of skidding, otherwise they can be easily replaced with a more durable foam or rubber wheel. Mine has at least 250 landings and takeoffs (that includes touch-n-goes) from the hard-surface strip at BCRCC field in Adair, Oregon, and they've still got nearly all the foam tread left on them.

The only change I made to both my models is that I put a VarioPROP and VarioPROP spinner on them. (The actual prop on my Fox is a CAM Folding Prop and the journals and spinner are from VarioPROP. It's set to 7.5" pitch.) I want to start some discussion about these kits, and soon I will post video. In the meantime I have some simple photos I took in early August. But a question remains:

WHY ARE THESE MODELS NOT AVAILABLE or EASILY AVAILABLE IN THE UNITED STATES? DEALERS, YOU ARE MISSING A GOOD PRODUCT TO SELL!
James Frolik is offline Find More Posts by James Frolik
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:51 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik View Post
WHY ARE THESE MODELS NOT AVAILABLE or EASILY AVAILABLE IN THE UNITED STATES? DEALERS, YOU ARE MISSING A GOOD PRODUCT TO SELL!
No demand for them here in the US. If you look around more, I'm certain you will find them on distributors sites who will ship to the US
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:56 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress
No demand for them here in the US. If you look around more, I'm certain you will find them on distributors sites who will ship to the US
I fully disagree with that assessment.

Nobody had even seen, much less knew about these kits when I showed them to fellows. Not even the reliable hobby shop guys in Corvallis had heard of them. (Their distributors, one being Great Planes, didn't have it, couldn't even locate it overseas.) For some reason, they're not available. Yet everyone who saw them fly were impressed, and quite a few inquired "Where can I get one of those?"

If more people knew about them and had seen them, I'm sure the demand would be there.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:05 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,918 Posts
Like I said, there's not enough demand for them. A manufacturer won't ship outside of their country unless enough modelers have demand for them, and these usually are VERY high numbers (we're talking thousands and thousands of kits that would have to be shipped- not just 50 or so kits).

Demand is one of the biggest reasons we won't see stuff in certain countries. If not enough demand is present, then there will be no product availability. When demand is high enough, and the manufacturer noticed, then product will start to ship out.
Xpress.. is online now Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:17 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Okay. But how can there be a demand when nobody knows about the product? It seems strange to me because they are available in Asia, Australia and Europe.

Yet everyone I showed and/or flew the models for had piqued interest in them even though they'd never heard of nor seen them before. Albeit my sampling was only in the mid-Willamette Valley area, but I could tell by the "Ohs" and "Ahs" that if the models were available, they'd sell.

Maybe there's some legal issue obscuring it. I don't know. Xpress.., you've stated your opinion. Perhaps someone else could provide other thoughts or insight.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:15 PM
Monaco
Joined Dec 2006
121 Posts
The Hype Fox and the Corvalis are sold under the "ST" brand in the US

Do a search for ST Fox and St Corvalis. Tower Hobbies sells them

Hype is just a reseller of Chinese models for the German market. The same models are sold by importers like Ripmax in the UK, and Tower in the US.
EuroDriver is offline Find More Posts by EuroDriver
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:26 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
Thanks! So yes, I've forwarded the link to my friend in Oregon. I was quite absent minded to not look in the sailplane forums. (Surprisingly it did not turn up using the search function.)

I found it in the Sailplanes column. The guy who wrote the initial post was new to flying. (He was an admitted newbie in May 2010.)

Some things in his initial post I would disagree with, but then again I'm not a beginner and he is (or was) undergoing a learning curve with R/C. Mine did not suffer from any of the things the fellow found lacking.

I will wait a day or two and if this thread does not foster many more posts, I will close it.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:01 PM
Long-Time Member
Cologne, Germany
Joined Dec 1996
2,394 Posts
I am closing this thread after discovering elsewhere a more adequate discussion about the [Hype] Fox sailplane being available in the U.S.

I still can't find any discussion about the same Corvalis model that I have, not even under an ST-Models heading. It currently seems to be a lost cause at the moment, so until its American moment comes, this thread can just sink into history.
Closed Thread