SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:32 PM
Heli Basher
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
90 Posts
Discussion
to s or not to s? (fbl vs not?)

ok so i'm considering getting a 4#6 and 4g6 (gotta stock up while the hobbyking sale lasts!) but i don't know if i should get the 4#6 or 4#6s and likewise, the 4g6 or 4g6s.
I've heard talk of the fbl being useful only to scale flyers (one of which i am absolutely not) and i've heard speculation of them acting weirdly in the wind. having never flown one myself, i don't know the pros/cons.
what are your guys' thoughts and opinions?

(actually, i just realized that they're not selling the flybarred versions in the hk sale, but that's okay...all the more reason to have this discussion. if i decide to get the flybarred versions, then i don't need to buy before the sale ends.)
Banana Jack is offline Find More Posts by Banana Jack
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:02 PM
USA, So.Cal.
Joined Jan 2009
413 Posts
Just to clarify it for you, HK does not have any flybarless models for sale. They do have the 4#6S and the 4G6, but they don't have the 4#6. All of the aforementioned have flybars. The "S" does not mean it's flybarless.

That being said, you could get a 4#6S and convert it to flybarless.
MikeSRC is offline Find More Posts by MikeSRC
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:56 PM
Heli Basher
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
90 Posts
ok now i'm lost....i thought the s meant it had the new 3-axis gyro? and having the new 3-axis gyro means it has no flybar?

never mind...after some research on the walkera page, it appears the new v200, v120, v100, and 4f200 are the only walkera helis that are flybarless.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:07 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
The S does mean 3-axis gyro.
The 3-axis gyro will work very well with a flybar or flybarless.
It's you choice which on to get.
I have helicopters both flybar and flybarless with the 3-axis gyro and
both work great.
There are pro's and con's of flybar and flybarless of course.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:48 PM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
4#6 = Hiller head with flybar and tail only gyro
4#6S = Hiller head with flybar and 3 axis gyro
V120D01 = Flybarless head with new 3 axis gyro

4G6 = Bell/Hiller CP head with flybar and tail only gyro
4G6s = Bell/Hiller CP head with flybar and 3 axis gyro
V120D02 = Flybarless CP head with new 3 axis gyro

Some people have converted the 4#6S to a V120D01 by just replacing the head and not the receiver. Apparently the old 3 axis still works well enough to support a fbl head.

A LOT of people prefer the old 3 axis receiver in the 4G6S to the one used in the V120D02 and have actually down graded the receiver to the old version. So converting a 4G6S to a V120D02 is not only possible, but actually preferred by most fliers.

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:59 PM
Heli Basher
USA, MO, Kansas City
Joined Dec 2009
90 Posts
oohhhhhh ok....i didn't realize they were just updated versions of the 4-6s. thanks for clearing that up for me.
so then, tom z, what are the pros and cons of fbl then?
just did a little google research and i didn't really understand what they were talking about...but mentioned something that did catch my eye...is it possible to have a flybarless setup without a 3-axis gyro?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:21 PM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Here are some examples I can think of due to I have both.

Flybar = more stable than the FBL, handles wind much better at least
it does on the micro helicopters. Not super sensitive response like the FBL is.

FBL = less parts, less parts top replace in a crash compared to the
flybar, lighter head weight due to less parts, extremely responsive! Much more than the flybar.

Tom
Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Old Sep 22, 2010, 01:16 AM
Joined Mar 2007
1,147 Posts
Actually, in my experience, the V120D01 is significantly more stable then the 4#6S. It actually has slight tendency to self correct, kind of like a CB100 but less so. Although this could be because of the new receiver and not necessarily because it has no flybar.

The biggest difference is responsiveness. The V120D01 has near instant cyclic response where as the 4#6 has a sort of lag between when you push on the stick and when the heli actually reacts. For a new pilot this lag creates a tendency to over correct which can lead to crashes. Overall the V120D01 is a much easier to fly.

As for the 4G6 vs V120D02... They're both CP helis so both are hard for a beginner to fly. I don't actually have a V120D02 yet, but I did trade the RX from my 4G6S for the one from a V120D02 and have flown with it in the 4G6. It is significantly more stable as well. It's still hard to fly, but it's a little less stressful.

All that being said I mainly fly in my living room so a lot of what I consider to be positive or negative could be considered differently for someone who flies outdoors with a lot of space.

Dan
Dan203 is offline Find More Posts by Dan203
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:10 AM
Joined Jan 2010
171 Posts
All that being said I mainly fly in my living room so a lot of what I consider to be positive or negative could be considered differently for someone who flies outdoors with a lot of space.

Dan[/QUOTE]

Dan,just curious why you don't fly outdoors very often,no where nearby like a park or field? I enjoy practicing indoors when weather is bad or during winter months,but even small,light heli's like the 4#6S really perform outside with some space & calmer conditions
Mark
nute53 is offline Find More Posts by nute53