HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:25 PM
USA, IL, East Peoria
Joined Sep 2010
172 Posts
Discussion
Old dude, new hobby

Ok so I am thinking of getting into R\C flying (on a limited budget for now) Just wondered if this is a good starting trainer http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a182-sk...g-v3-blue.html. If so nice that for $20 extra you can add on a flight sim with controller. Let me know what you think, forgot to mention 3 clubs in my area so no problems finding a place to fly, just have to decide which one to join (which I think I have went to a "big bird fly in" over the weekend...man am I hooked bad.
IneptCorpse is offline Find More Posts by IneptCorpse
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:01 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
I would normally not advise a 4 channel plane (throttle, elevator, rudder and ailerons) for a beginner; the best thing to do is to go to one of the clubs and ask their trainers there what they think. Everyone has different methods of flying, so some trainers may feel happier teaching someone with a 3ch plane first.

Just my $0.02
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:35 PM
Bellingham, wa
Joined Oct 2009
96 Posts
my dad got one of these and its ok if you have a trainer or buddy to help you set it up but it is not perfect out of the box and took some adjustments to make it good and turned out to be really a gentle flyer but still an aileron ship, so again, if you don't have someone to help you set it up its going to be more difficult.

on that note i would suggest the Dynam Hawk sky 4 ch, look at the RCpowers review of it, pretty docile if you want or max throttle to jam and zoom

I'm guessing you like the look of more scale planes, but unless you have an instructor at the field you may want something closer to a powered glider, don't get me wrong, the hawk sky still moves pretty good in the sky.

my other choice if you want to go full scale, is to get the sim, practice on it till you can fly around and land the harder planes (the Pitts is a good example! and remember to used fixed view not follow) then you would do OK with the skytrainer, but that initial setup is still going to be tough for a complete newbie, though there are some great youtube vids on setting it up and also lots of people here with experience on the plane.
biznak is offline Find More Posts by biznak
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:31 AM
Built For Comfort
South Central Texas
Joined Aug 2009
691 Posts
Before you buy an airplane it might be wise for you to visit all three clubs and solicit opinions regarding trainers. Try and talk to several flyers at each club. This may be a little confusing at first, due to the wide variety of opinions about training planes, but patience is a key. Some clubs even keep a "club trainer" plane handy, if so maybe you can fly it.

In case you already ordered the Cessna look-alike from Nitroplanes you should definitely get an experienced person to help you with it by going over it, flying it, getting it trimmed out, and helping you learn to fly it.

TP
Tepid Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Tepid Pilot
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:11 AM
USA, IL, East Peoria
Joined Sep 2010
172 Posts
Hey thanks for the input and yeah, you got me...I love the scale look. Definately plan on lots of sim practice and the club that I have chosen is full of guys who have been flying since...well won't go there..leave it say some of them were in the Navy with Noah. They are all super helpful and excited to be of service to a Noob. Would have no problem finding one to help trim out the plane and have had more than a few offer to help train me to fly anytime I want. Gotta love their attitude.
Thanks Again for the input. And I can definately see a large scale bi-plane in my future someday. Planes are only so pretty with just one wing.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:23 AM
certified crash instructor
Scottsdale Arizona
Joined Dec 2009
2,215 Posts
If your into biplanes check out the beast (for the future), they also have a ultra micro version coming late october that I can't wait to get.
Beast 100cc arf by hangar 9 (1 min 34 sec)
slo-fly is offline Find More Posts by slo-fly
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:03 PM
USA, IL, East Peoria
Joined Sep 2010
172 Posts
Yeah nice looking plane, I will probably (some day) go with a military biplane though. As far as my trainer goes, after more reading (and lots of you tube watching) I think I will wind up buying a Horizon Champ for the first one. Nice little plane, plenty of power and the reviews are all raves about it. Plus when not at the field I have room a few other places to fly it safely. Going with a cut rate sim as well that comes with a controller for $20 I think it was. Nice cheap way to get into the hobby. Thanks again all and look forward to giving some flight reports eventually...Don't suppose any wants to buy some slightly used medieval armor? lol
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:55 PM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Do your guys at the field know you'll be flying electric? Just that some older guys still seem to have a real problem with it!
Old Sep 21, 2010, 06:56 PM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
I'll also respectfully say no to the armour.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:57 AM
USA, IL, East Peoria
Joined Sep 2010
172 Posts
Yeah they have trainers for all types of flying, even heli's. One of the guys had a massive 3D? or Sport electric there Sunday with a 50cc electric motor too cool.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:28 AM
USA, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Nov 2009
812 Posts
Inept;
Sounds like you've caught a bad case of RC mania! Congratulations. I like the suggestion to go fly with the clubs a lot. I think you'll do okay with the Champ, but just fly when it's not too windy, especially at first. You'll be moving on to larger stuff soon enough!
benski is offline Find More Posts by benski
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:26 AM
USA, IL, East Peoria
Joined Sep 2010
172 Posts
You know it...not that I plan for the future or dream lol....I love 1/4 scale looks, love warbirds, love biplanes. I can see my favorites in my future. WWI haven't decided yet, WWII Cosair, P40 and Spit Mk9 (and who knows someday maybe a BlackWidow) but for now...the Champ and the sim
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:08 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,517 Posts
this is a better starter plane, from Nitro planes

http://www.nitroplanes.com/sldieprtf.html

Scale is nice, but IMHO it will just be an airplane that is harder to land, with parts that break off. Starting out you don't need the compexity of an airplane you have to fly off a runway AND land again on the same runway. Better to learn about orientation, and stick control on a wide wingspan, airframe with lots of dihedral. You don't need (or want) ailerons starting out either.

These type of hand-launch gliders, you just toss into the wind, with the motor on
Landing, point it into the wind, cut the motor, and float down a soccer field, park, farmers field until it stops flying. You land back on the belly. Better performance without the weight of landing gear too. Plus you get a wider wingspan for the same price.
I started with this one, and still introduce new flyers to RC, with this flyer. I did upgrade the RC receiver, to work with a 2.4 transmitter, I already had. The radios that come with these RTF kits are not very good. Better to look for a used Spektrum DX-7 at RCG if you really have the bug
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 22, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:59 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IneptCorpse View Post
Ok so I am thinking of getting into R\C flying (on a limited budget for now) Just wondered if this is a good starting trainer http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a182-sk...g-v3-blue.html. If so nice that for $20 extra you can add on a flight sim with controller. Let me know what you think, forgot to mention 3 clubs in my area so no problems finding a place to fly, just have to decide which one to join (which I think I have went to a "big bird fly in" over the weekend...man am I hooked bad.
Hey,

Have you ever seen a Park Zone T-28 fly in your area? It's a great rugged little foam bird. Also, your LHS will probably have an availability of parts for it in case of a rough landing here or there.

I have not heard good things about Nitroplanes. I'm talking quality or customer service or finding parts. The price may look attractive, but don't forget the old adage "You get what you pay for."

Also, with 3-clubs in your area, there should be a lot of nice folks to help you out. Maybe do some buddy boxin' and the such.

There is a lot to learn in RC, so have fun and give yourself a year or so to learn the basics.

Hope this helps,

Goodnight!

-Buzzed
Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:20 PM
USA, IL, East Peoria
Joined Sep 2010
172 Posts
Going out to the field this weekend, no plane yet but one of the guys has a trainer he said he might sell me cheap. Not sure what it is so we will see. Buddy box and trainers abound so I will be happy as can be. Great grass, nice size field, covered pavillion, lots of parking and a decent size blacktop runway. They control the freqs all the time and seem to all be more than helpful. Till I sell the armor I will just have to watch and smile.