SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:23 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Poll
Who wants a "Wind Hawk"?

I clicked on the POLL prefix but I don't know how to set up a poll here but I'm wondering how many orni-buffs out there would interested in a Wind Hawk. The winds are starting to come back to Cody this time of year which limits my ornithopter flying and that blows (pun intended).
So, I think it's time for me to not just make a "high wind" wing sail for a Park Hawk but actually make a high wind bird...a Wind Hawk if you will.
Any takers of I do?

Answer Aye or Nay.
Kinkade is offline Find More Posts by Kinkade
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:53 PM
There's magic in those wings !
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
khaled_abobakr is offline Find More Posts by khaled_abobakr
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:57 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
Mr Sean .. I was just testing ..

Okay .. go to thread tools, then choose the "add a poll to this thread"

then you put the poll title, and the options you want

Good luck

Khaled
Last edited by khaled_abobakr; Sep 21, 2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:58 AM
Kjell Dahlberg
Mallorca Spain
Joined Nov 2005
1,118 Posts
Sean
I think your Wind Hawk is interesting. To get a fast flying Ornithopter is important to include assisted wing twist, like Robert is doing. You know that the Wiggle Wing Drive is a light weight mechanism and it is to you disposition.
Kjell
KJELL is offline Find More Posts by KJELL
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:05 AM
Joined Jan 2004
405 Posts
If you get a wind hawk into production before you send my shrike back, I'll probably get upset.
barneyj is offline Find More Posts by barneyj
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:49 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
Hi
Here are my expectations for the wind hawk

1- Wind Hawk size is something between the Park hawk and he Slow hawk

2-Whatever produce the most thrust out of membrane wings

a-Active twisting

b-Change the design to more stiffer less flexible wing and still Aero elastically twisted

c- Or maybe it is time to make the airfoil wing out of EPP foam

3- More control authority and stability during turns , no loss of altitude

a-If by tail only I strongly recommend it will have the two servos mixed together (elevon) to share the load as shown in the video at 0:04 , to keep things light and at the same have the power required to steer that fast bird without stalling the elevator servo (burning it) as it is the case with the current setup when used in high winds .. ask me how I knew

Eagle ornithopter (3 min 29 sec)

b-Washout differential mechanism

c- V-tail mixing to add stability during turns (horizontal turns - no loss of altitude )

d-Flaps like Rober musters birds, or Alulas ...

I hope to see it soon

Khaled
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:21 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Thanks for sharing your *expectations* Khaled but I don't see anything special here really. That eagle is an OLD copy based on my Park Hawk 1 and does not look like it will handle high winds. I've already made a real "Wind Hawk" actually and it was back in 2001. It was a gas powered SkyBird based, clipped wing "RoboHawk". That thing was big and heavy with a small wing and powered by an HPI .12 RC car engine with a tuned pipe! It would fly right into heavy winds even better than a Yard Hawk. So the key to a Wind Hawk is power and high wing loading which requires a high airspeed.
I do agree that the Wind Hawk should be around Park Hawk/Slow Hawk size....like a giant Yard Hawk.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:35 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkade View Post
Thanks for sharing your *expectations* Khaled but I don't see anything special here really. That eagle is an OLD copy based on my Park Hawk 1 and does not look like it will handle high winds. I've already made a real "Wind Hawk" actually and it was back in 2001. It was a gas powered SkyBird based, clipped wing "RoboHawk". That thing was big and heavy with a small wing and powered by an HPI .12 RC car engine with a tuned pipe! It would fly right into heavy winds even better than a Yard Hawk. So the key to a Wind Hawk is power and high wing loading which requires a high airspeed.
I do agree that the Wind Hawk should be around Park Hawk/Slow Hawk size....like a giant Yard Hawk.
Hi Mr Sean

Sorry I wan't clear enough ,,the only thing that is special about the eagle in the video is the Elevon mixing tail mechanism , the tail movement is identical to your birds but with two micro servos sharing the load all the way during the elevator control (the most difficult part), and the rotary rudder control, that's it

.. so I have posted it as a reference if you want to do this "elevon mixing "in your wind hawk to keep the weight down and have the power steering required to make that fast bird make a turn with authority

I agree there nothing special about it except that ..

Khaled
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyj View Post
If you get a wind hawk into production before you send my shrike back, I'll probably get upset.
Yeah, what's it been, 6 months or so? I've also noticed that Sean has not responded to a single one of your posts asking about it. That's not very reassuring. New products need to go on the back burner until past orders are filled, there are people that have been waiting far too long.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:14 PM
Seale, AL
Joined Oct 2003
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinkade View Post
I've already made a real "Wind Hawk" actually and it was back in 2001. It was a gas powered SkyBird based, clipped wing "RoboHawk". That thing was big and heavy with a small wing and powered by an HPI .12 RC car engine with a tuned pipe.
Forum members, I own one of the SST birds mentioned above. If enough of you are interested, I'll post a few pictures of it.
w,,
wmueller10 is offline Find More Posts by wmueller10
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:40 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmueller10 View Post
Forum members, I own one of the SST birds mentioned above. If enough of you are interested, I'll post a few pictures of it.
w,,
Please do

Khaled
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJELL View Post
Sean
I think your Wind Hawk is interesting. To get a fast flying Ornithopter is important to include assisted wing twist, like Robert is doing. You know that the Wiggle Wing Drive is a light weight mechanism and it is to you disposition.
Kjell
By the way Mr KJell ...

Every time I see a crow flying I remember your wiggle drive

Does the wiggle drive provide thrust during the horizontal movement of the wing
just like a boat paddle ??!!

Khaled
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:50 AM
Joined Nov 2006
4,819 Posts
I wonder why the poll isn't active ....

Mr Sean .. are you still going to produce the wind hawk ?? or you have decided it isn't worth it .. ??

I'm asking because I don't see any activity in here by you or the others ,,

I've posted how to enable the poll in the 2nd post so you can get some reliable feedback from potential customers ...

Please do post any progress here when you have the time

Khaled
Old Sep 27, 2010, 01:29 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
The Yard Hawk makes a pretty good Wind Hawk For being so small I'm nearly always surprised at how strongly it climbs out. I flew it yesterday at the fly-in when Weatherbug was showing 10 with gusts to 15. It cuts right through it with no trouble at all. It still has the original brushed motor on it too!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Sep 27, 2010, 04:15 PM
Joined Nov 2006
2,448 Posts
Stay tuned for fresh video......

It's an absolutely beautiful day in Cody! Warm and sunny with a light breeze.
I just got new "YardHawk XL" footage...climbing, swooping, and diving..low fly-bys, etc...uploading to Boobtube now.

Also working on finishing up Pacificaire's electric SkyBird...would be a GREAT day to test fly it.