HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by leccyflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:22 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Discussion
Fun Day washout and adapter errors.

Yesterday was our club's autumn fun day and we stood under the verandah through four hours of solid heavy rain, with a single five minute window, watching the field flood and trying to at least make a dent in the mountain of burgers that had been purchased on the basis of the usual numbers attending.

It rained and it rained and it rained, so much that the puddles were ankle deep and the bits in between completely sodden. By 2pm it still hadn't stopped, the field was unflyable other than for floatplanes or hand launched submarines and so we reluctantly abandoned the day.

Of course with that done, about ten minutes later it stopped raining and a few hardy souls said they'd have a go.

Determined to fly at least one appropriate aeroplane on Battle of Britain day I dashed to get the backup GWS Spitfire, grabbed the charged lipo and, since this is a model that hasn't flown for a while and so has not got the Deans connectors on the newer batteries, grabbed the Deans-to-2mm bullets adaptor. Just time to get a single flight in!

"2 section - Scramble!"

Connected up the pack and watched in dismay as the smoke poured from the cowl - far too realistic a scramble.

It turned out that, in my rush, I'd fitted the Deans-to-2mm CHARGING LEAD adaptor, to the battery, which is polarised opposite to the Deans-to-2mm ESC adaptor. Red-to-black = smoke.

The Deans connectors are all going in the bin, starting today. No more adapters for me. So endeth the lesson.

In total four people out of about 20 there managed a single flight of a shocky, foamie wing or hand launched glider. There was no point in even unpacking anything else.

Total washout, but nice to have a natter for a few hours.

Someone had brought a couple of Lloyd Loom chairs down for the club hut too - just need a big brass bell hung outside now.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:33 AM
Love & a Molotov cocktail
on a boat on the river cam
Joined Jan 2005
608 Posts
Shame about not flying the spit, I wanted to fly mine but as it weighs the best part of nothing, with the wind it was no hope.
At least you tried.
Punkie is offline Find More Posts by Punkie
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:41 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
We had another Spitfire, Hurricane and Blenheim there too, but the latter two wouldn't have got off through the water and though the Ripmax Spitfire could ave been handlaunched the chance of damage on landing was too high to risk the model.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:14 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Bristol Beaufort

G'day Leccyflier! I'm new to this site & to RC modelling generally. Getting in at the deep end I've bought plans for a 73" Bristol Beaufort (I'm a member of the Beaufort Restoration Group here in Brisbane, where they're restoring A9-141 to flying condition (it'll be the only one!) Anyway to get to the point, I saw a post of yours back in 2002 where you replied to another guy looking for these plans. You mentioned an article in Radio Control Scale International, Aug 1998, describing this model (by John Ranson) By quite amazing coincidence, a copy of this issue was for sale on Ebay just yesterday (in Istanbul!) which I've bought. However, when I asked the vendor to check for this article, he couldn't find it. I wonder if you could check where it is if you still have a run of this magazine?

Cheers

Peter Linn
Brisbane Oz
healeypete is offline Find More Posts by healeypete
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:55 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Hi Peter

That's quite a coincidence, another member contacted me about that article a week or so back and found that the article was not in that issue of the magazine. When I checked my magazine files I couldn't find it either, so the info isn't accurate - either the date, or possibly the magazine title, is wrong. As soon as I get a chance I'll investigate further.

In the meantime John Ranson is a member of this site and contactable. Here is his user profile

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=61212

I'll check those mags and post again later.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 04:20 AM
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
I've found the article - it was the right date but a different magazine - the reference was to RC Scale Aircraft International - August October 1998 Vol 14 No 5 . That magazine is the decendant of RC Scale Aircraft Quarterly, the best RC scale aereoplane publication IMHO and which is no longer published and of which I have a complete set.

That isn't the same as Radio Control Scale International, which is a later publication and pretty good, but not IMO as good as "the real thing".

Anyway the upshot is that I now have the Beaufort article in my hand and will be happy to scan it and send you a copy. Just drop me an email, or a PM with your email address -since it's not possible to attach a file to a PM - and it'll be winging its way to you.

cheers

Brian
Old Jan 25, 2011, 11:16 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2 Posts
Beaufort article

That would be great Brian! my email is greylinn@ozemail.com.au. I'll be getting 4 issues of RC Scale International form Turkey anyway!
healeypete is offline Find More Posts by healeypete