HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:58 PM
Joined Apr 2008
46 Posts
Discussion
Aurora 9 Flap to Elevator Mixing

Hello all,

I own an Aurora 9 radio and I want to use the flap function but I am not sure of the concept behind the programming of elevator trim with flaps. Let me explain.

My airpalne needs down elevator trim mixed with the flap function to prevent balooning when the flaps are deployed. Currently, full down flaps will point the airplane's nose straight up.

The flaps currently are activated by the left slider switch and there are about 10 postions (clicks) before 50% flaps and about another 10 positions (clicks) before the flaps are fully deployed. I can put the flaps down to any one these 20 different postions, which gives me several flap positions, not just three-flaps up, flaps half down, flaps fully down.

Hitec has created a built-in screen for elevator to flap mix. My question is -must I put in a separate percentage of down elevator for each of these 20 positions or will just one down elevator percentage (foir example 10% down elevator) be proportionately mixed by the transmitter at each of the 20 flap postions?

A secondary question is what are the exact steps to input and activate the elevator percentage. I tried to do it once and all I got was a permanently down elevator.

Thnks for your help.

John T.
jptonks is offline Find More Posts by jptonks
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:11 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,193 Posts
Try using the camber mix assigned to the left slider, it lets you set the flap, ailerons and elevator. This is what I use for the Fun Cub but also set it up in Glider mode and use B-Fly mixing tied to the throttle which lets it come in automatically when I lower the throttle.

Download set up here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=15

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old May 30, 2014, 07:20 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Aurora 9 - Flap to Elevator Mixing with servo slow down

Once again under discussion, this time on the Hitec Aurora 9 Transmitter thread, the best answer to date=

Aurora 9 - Flap to Elevator mix with slow down and anti-balloon compensation.
quote:
"this is an issue for all radios right now.

think about this....as an example
We have a model setup to drop the flaps 100% with the flip of a switch. the drop at SERVO speed pretty damn fast and usually to fast causing the model to balloon up.

Now we decide to use the delay feature and we set it so the flaps move down much more slowly, we like it!

But we also need that bit of down elevator to comp for the full flap deployment. So we ask the radio by either using a built in flap to elevator mix or by creating our own flap to elevator mix to lower the elevator a small amount.

PROBLEM, the radios are not designed to determine were that command comes from, did it come from the mix or did it come from the stick?

If we were to add delay to the elevator channel well then the stick input would also be delayed. We can't have that.

Were not going to get this until a more advanced programming is available in our radios. It sure seems as though we should have that technology now, but from reading some of the other threads it appears this would take up a lot more memory in the system that they just don't have to work with at this time.

- mikeruth The "Foaminator"

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 11:32 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,833 Posts
(Aurora 9/Optima receiver) I am still in process of setting up flaps on my scale model Stinson Reliant with two HS-55 flap servos on a Y cable. I have selected a 3-postion switch instead of the left slider to get zero, 1/2 and Full down flap angles. I want to be able to trim down-angles in 1/2 and full down flap positions. I would also like to slow down servo speeds for 1/2 and full down flap positions. I don't need or want down-elevator offsets. Is there a way to do all of above using the FLP CON and/or other menu? Thanks for your patience.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Jun 03, 2014, 12:39 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Once again under discussion, this time on the Hitec Aurora 9 Transmitter thread, the best answer to date=

Aurora 9 - Flap to Elevator mix with slow down and anti-balloon compensation.
quote:
"this is an issue for all radios right now.

Were not going to get this until a more advanced programming is available in our radios. It sure seems as though we should have that technology now, but from reading some of the other threads it appears this would take up a lot more memory in the system that they just don't have to work with at this time.

- mikeruth The "Foaminator"

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
This is available on the open source radio and works fine.
Thought I would mention this because you stated it's not available on any radios.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60