SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:26 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
679 Posts
Discussion
Reversing a servo with DX6i

I have a DX6i and a AR6100e RX in a Nitroplanes small P-51. I stripped out one of the aileron servos and the replacement I have is going the wrong way. How can I make the new servo go in reverse? The servos hook up to a Y connector that goes into the aileron slot on the AR6100e. When I move the ailerons both of the surfaces go down, naturally I need them to go opposite of each other.
Can I cut and swap the wires going into the servo itself to reverse just that servo? The colors on the servo leads are brown, red and orange.
The slots on the AR6100e are Batt, Thro, Aile, Rudd, Gear, Aux1. Is there a way on the DX6i to separate the two aileron leads and maybe put one in the Aile slot and one in the AUX1 slot and somehow hook the two together so that I can gain proper control of the ailerons?
I sure would appreciate any help, I am not really familiar with "Mixes" on the DX6i and I can't find anywhere on the DX6i menus where you can mix the Aile and AUX1 to get it to do what I need.
Thanks,
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:39 PM
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined Oct 2004
5,965 Posts
First, you can not reverse the servo by just reversing some wires. You need to get into the servo and change things.

Easier solutions.

If you want to use both ailerons connected to a 'Y' cable, just mount the servos so the output arms point ln the same direction - both outboard or both inboard.

Mixing using the aileron and aux1 channels is quite easy - go to page 44 of the manual.

GL, Bill
ebill3 is offline Find More Posts by ebill3
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:44 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Joe,

You're on the right track - separating the servos by using the Aux1 channel for one is the best route. In the manual, this is the `Dual Aileron' function, just follow the steps. This will also enable you to have flaperons or spoilerons that might be useful.

~Roger
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:06 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
679 Posts
Excellent advice.
Thanks,
Joe
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:29 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,372 Posts
Connect one aileron servo in the aileron channel of the rx, connect the other aileron servo in the AUX1 channel of the rx.
Go into radio programming under WING TYPE MIX and enable or activate the DUAL AILE WING type and voila.

Now its a matter of getting the correct servo connected in the appropriate channel and with a combination of servo reversing you are going to get them to work properly.
follow the manual.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:19 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Connect one aileron servo in the aileron channel of the rx, connect the other aileron servo in the AUX1 channel of the rx.
Go into radio programming under WING TYPE MIX and enable or activate the DUAL AILE WING type and voila.

Now its a matter of getting the correct servo connected in the appropriate channel and with a combination of servo reversing you are going to get them to work properly.
follow the manual.
Thanks for your input, I will give that a try.
I do have one more question though....if the servos are receiving a signal that turns on a DC voltage, why would the motor in the servo not go the opposite direction if you reversed the positive and negative leads to the servo?
Joe
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:55 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
Thanks for your input, I will give that a try.
I do have one more question though....if the servos are receiving a signal that turns on a DC voltage, why would the motor in the servo not go the opposite direction if you reversed the positive and negative leads to the servo?
Joe
If you reverse the input power you will destroy the electronics in the servo. Just like most other electronic devices that are unprotected from reverse polarity.

To reverse a servo you need to interchange the wires to the motor inside the servo -- that makes it run the opposite way. You then need to interchange the wires to the ends of the feedback pot so it too is reversed. Then the servo will work normally but backwards (it may need the pot adjusting to restore neutral).

We used to do this all the time in the days of biggish servos and before transmitter control reversing was introduced in the 1980s. But nowadays, tiny servos and easy control reversing make it unusual.

EDIT: You are right in thinking that reversing the signal (not the power) would do the trick, and there are servo reversing gadgets that go between receiver and servo. Spektrum specifically recommend against using such devices, though.
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:35 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
679 Posts
I will go the software route. I am too old to see how to solder the insides of one of those tiny servos!
Joe
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:56 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,760 Posts
Quote:
I will go the software route. I am too old to see how to solder the insides of one of those tiny servos!
Joe
Sensible decision! As for the vision thing, I couldn't manage the small stuff without my head-mounted magnifier. Wonderful device. I used to use a large magnifier/light on an arm but this is much superior. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bausch-Lomb-Ma.../dp/B0015IQBYA
Daedalus66 is offline Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:00 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
Sensible decision! As for the vision thing, I couldn't manage the small stuff without my head-mounted magnifier. Wonderful device. I used to use a large magnifier/light on an arm but this is much superior. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Bausch-Lomb-Ma.../dp/B0015IQBYA
I have one of those and I break it out quite often!
Joe
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:21 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
679 Posts
reversing Servo with DX6i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post

follow the manual.
Your advice worked perfectly, problem solved. Thanks very much!
Joe
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:58 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,372 Posts
Quote:
Your advice worked perfectly, problem solved. Thanks very much! Joe
No problem but just think of it as it was never a problem. You just needed to get someone else input.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip