HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:49 PM
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
Discussion
Which ESM warbird for my next project?

Hey All

I'm ready for my next ESM warbird and just thought I'd ask you guys which you would suggest. I'm flying an ESM Stuka as well as most of H9 and TF warbirds. I'm not looking to do a bash or anything, just some basic extra weathering, retract tailwheel if needed, etc. I've gone so far as make a chart of the price, wingspan, retracts on a sheet (not anal, just keep going back and forth and cant pull the trigger) but still cant decide. Not really looking at the GS ones or twins.

Ive looked at the 190, 109, Dauntless, Corsair, and LA-7. The LA-7 scares me a little, even though I really like it but I've never dealt with gas. I dont think I want to put a 1.80 glow in it though. The Dauntless has intrigiued me since it came out. The 190 is about my fav bird out there and I only have a VQ-FW-190. I dont own a 109 of any type

Those that have built one or so of the above, what are your thoughts.

thanks in advance.

Casey
st_dysan is offline Find More Posts by st_dysan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:04 PM
USA, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2005
985 Posts
ESM/KMP 190 with the 109 a close second for me. Third the CMP 109F.
patrick181 is offline Find More Posts by patrick181
Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:30 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,212 Posts
FW190 and the Corsair are quite nice , the Daultless is questionable as far as flying history , have not heard of one that was 'easy to fly "
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:56 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I like that LA-7. Very sharp!

What are you running for power in your Stuka? TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:45 PM
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Aug 2008
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleW View Post
I like that LA-7. Very sharp!

What are you running for power in your Stuka? TW
1.20 surpass III.. runs great..
st_dysan is offline Find More Posts by st_dysan
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:59 AM
United States, CA, Murrieta
Joined Jan 2010
48 Posts
For those guys out there flying the ESM FW190, what engine are you running in yours?
I have a new in box Saito FG-20 (1.25) gas engine looking for a new home. I'm not sure if it's enough power??? Any comments would be great! Thanks
rcflyer79 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer79
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:54 PM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
I was disappointed to find this in the for sale section a while back.

"Saito 170 radial with Keleo exhaust complete with onboard glow system. I had this engine on a KMP 100% composite Bearcat but the 20 lb plane was just too heavy for the engine. It has (3) 24 oz tanks of fuel through it for break in and two short flights. At our elevation of 3,500 feet it just is not quite powerful enough for the plane."

KMP bearcat is similar to the ESM bird is'nt it? I thought that the Saito 170 would be a sweet set up. Any else have experiance with a 170 in a ESM warbird? Thanks, TW
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:08 AM
Mr Clean
USA, OH, Xenia
Joined Mar 2007
623 Posts
Saito 170

I have a friend who had the Saito 170 radial. It sounded great but did lack power. He also had problems keeping the glow plugs hot. It would drop a cylinder every now and then. He put a G-26 in the GeeBee 82" and it flies great now with no problems.

This is just what we saw, we spent a lot of time trying to fix the low power problem even when all the cylinders were running.

Go gas you won't regret it.

FTIR
FTIR is offline Find More Posts by FTIR
Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:17 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,315 Posts
I have the ESM 74" corsair with a RCS 32cc, plenty of power. The corsair flies very easily and is really stable inj the air. Mine came out to 17.5lbs
helifann is offline Find More Posts by helifann
Old Oct 22, 2010, 07:43 AM
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldm View Post
FW190 and the Corsair are quite nice , the Daultless is questionable as far as flying history , have not heard of one that was 'easy to fly "
Tell me more, PM if you think necessary. Where have you found a flight report on the SBD? I'm building one now and I hope that I haven't made a bad decision on the SBD.
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:45 AM
Lance
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Look at this month's Model Airplane News. They build the ESM SBD and give all flight reviews. Sounds smooth. Me - I'm getting the 74" Corsair when it's in stock and putting a gas'r in it.
lwalton is offline Find More Posts by lwalton
Old Oct 22, 2010, 09:46 AM
Lance
United States, GA, Alpharetta
Joined Mar 2008
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifann View Post
I have the ESM 74" corsair with a RCS 32cc, plenty of power. The corsair flies very easily and is really stable inj the air. Mine came out to 17.5lbs
Any major issues/gotchas during the build? Did you use the ESM or Sierra retracts?
lwalton is offline Find More Posts by lwalton
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:41 AM
Joined May 2008
1,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalton View Post
Look at this month's Model Airplane News. They build the ESM SBD and give all flight reviews. Sounds smooth. Me - I'm getting the 74" Corsair when it's in stock and putting a gas'r in it.
I would rather get a report from an average modeler. Please take no offense, but I've never seen a magazine article that did not give great reports on any model, whether it turned out to be a dog, or not.
Knotnuts is offline Find More Posts by Knotnuts
Old Oct 22, 2010, 12:37 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwalton View Post
Any major issues/gotchas during the build? Did you use the ESM or Sierra retracts?
I used the esm gear and they are holding up fine. The only problem i did encounter w the kit is the cheap tail wheel gear wire. Had to make vmy own out of music wire as the stock one broke on my first landing. Otherwise it is a really great kit for the price.
helifann is offline Find More Posts by helifann
Old Oct 22, 2010, 08:33 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
You guys are forgetting something about the 170 radial. A) It was put in a 20 pound fully composite version Bearcat.B) The 170 radial was never rated for that size. Nor would a saito 180 fly the plane either at that weight.
Now...a current version bearcat or 190 will weigh 15-16 pounds. Quite a lot less and there are PLENTY of youtube videos showing a 190 flying quite well on a 170 radial.
Additionally....anyone whos actually used a radial engine knows full well to use an onboard glow setup that is ALWAYS hot on the plugs when they are armed.

ive got two of the 170 radials. They are fine power wise. Same output as a 150 single

The 170 would also power the dauntless just fine.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Last edited by kahloq; Oct 22, 2010 at 08:49 PM.