HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by GimpyPilot, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:39 PM
T-28C, Extra 300, Beast UMX
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
529 Posts
Discussion
Banana Hobby/Starmax F-5E (F-5N) Almost Ready for Maiden

Made major progress on my F-5N project in the last 30 hours or so.

Put power on for the first time, and then spent time identifying the rats nest of wires to my AR6200 Rx - checked all servos and they seem decent - still will replace the stock servos on the primary flight controls whenever I get my order from HK.

Replaced the main gear retract servos with HS65MG's - put light ply runners under the operating rods from the retract servos to the plunger, this keeps them from digging into the foam and stalling out which will strip the gears on a regular cheapy servo (ask how I know....)

Also used some light ply to reinforce the servo boxes for the mains - there was way too much movement of the servos after I removed the stock ones.

Adjusted, adjusted and adjusted some more to get the mains to appear to be achieving positive lock on the down position - the right main is the master, the left main is the slave, and I installed a reversing Y when I went with the upgraded servos - might need to tweak it a bit yet on the slave potentiometer.

Disassembled the nose gear, lubed it up and had to work it for a while to get free steering but it works great now.

Cut in flap servos and then spent some time making them work with the DX6i so that I have 3 flap positions - took some creativity. With the Gear switch and Flap switch up, the flaps are fully up, with the Gear or Flap switch down they deploy to a mid-setting (takeoff or approach), with the Gear switch down and then setting Flap switch to down, the flaps deploy fully to the landing setting. Works pretty cool.

I spent the morning on wrapping up the customization which can be seen in the photos below. Did some low power taxi runs in the front street - seems to track OK. Added a bunch of custom decals (NO PUSH, NO STEP, WALKWAY) etc. I can e-mail the MSWord file to anyone who wants something that is roughly scale and that can be modified for your plane - hit me with a PM. You will need the AmarilloUSAF font for MSWord.

Front quartering shot showing the additional decals for rescue, pilot name, etc.

I really like this view of the plane

Rear aspect shot showing the cleaned up no walk zone, no step decaling, flap markings, added stars and bars on left wing

Added rescue, warnings, pilot name, squadron insignia/flash on forward fuselage, added fake boundary control holes on the inside of the inlet

Added fake auxiliary inlets, F-5N marking, NAS FALLON marking, AF Aggressor flash, 07 tail number

Underside shot with added NAVY and stars and bars

Need some afterburner LED's
GimpyPilot is offline Find More Posts by GimpyPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:20 PM
If It Aint Broke,I'll Break It
United States, TX, Lockhart
Joined Dec 2008
2,871 Posts
Looks great John. Looking forward to the maiden report.
Rockin G is online now Find More Posts by Rockin G