HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:34 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Yippee!
e-foamy sbach 342 maiden

I ordered a sbach from e-foamy.com. I'm in Canada so shipping took a little longer and cost a little more but Mike communicated very well - A+.

No build instructions in the kit which I was fine with, but would have been cool to have a CG reference and a throws reference.

Then I realized I was building a foamie, and it probably didnt matter. CG in the middle of the wing, giant throws. check.

The motor mount got me right going too. Didn't have the 4 screws to mount motor to mount, so I drilled the holes on the motor to accomodate 4-40 screws and got er in that way.

I have the unpainted kit and I'm thinking about painting it but I'm not that serious about it.

I flew it in my garage first, did some hover-grounds. Realized that was a little futile so I moved to the backyard (about 40 ft x 70 ft). Backyard has two giant trees in it which the sbach became intimate with! :O

I have pictures! Sorry to bore. But plane flew quite well - knifed welll, had excellent pitch authority, wayyyy to much power.

1 click under 1/4 throttle would keep it aloft, 1 click above 1/4 would be climbing, and hover somewhere in the middle. I may go to 2 cells, but I LIKE POWAH

you can kind of see a tree:

Thanks for reading and thanks for the great plane! Will have a blast tossing this thing indoors!
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:49 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Update:

Flew the plane some more this morning. The front horizontal piece on the nose flexes hard when power is applied (so when I was trying to hover it would torque like a monster). I cut some slits and laid in some CF tubes to hopefully brace it up more.

The pushrods on it are sloppy - I hate z-bends. I found an old tensor in my root cellar and stripped all the CF off it - remade all the pushrods with CF tubes and 90* bends, with the little pushrod keepers on the end. I'm hoping that might straighten it up a little in flight.

I'm going to fly it indoors on Wednesday and will hopefully have some pictures of that too.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:36 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,918 Posts
^There is a reason the Z-bends are there, and that is to save weight. The heavier you get a foamy, the worse and worse it flies. I've talked to some guys that said that their 3D foamies are just about the worst flying planes in the world, and they don't care that everyone else says they're fantastic flying.

As it turns out, they had loaded the airframes up with so much unnecessary weight (pushrod keepers, bigger servos that needed, long servo leads they just tapped to the fuselage, 2x bigger than recommended battery, ect.), that it was a no brainer as to why the airframes flew like junk. EVERY single little thing can make a world if difference in how a plane flies. A light 3D foamie is going to fly the best flying 3D foamie.

If the pushrods give you slop, then perhaps you need to make tighter Z-bends, or use some thicker wire, or even a thicker control horn. Little changes like that can also make or break an airframe

And if you can, go to 2S. You can re-prop to give you similar performance, but the plane will be much lighter, and survive crashes a lot better too
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:53 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
I'm not worried about the weight penalty from pushrod keepers - the CF I used to replace the aileron pushrods (which was piano wire) is lighter, so I think any weight gain is negligible.

I'm going to go to 2s but my work contract ended a week ago and I don't want to spend money on things that aren't bills. I'm going to weigh the plane and see where it sits. It's definitely not lacking in pop or punch, and it floats around.

The main reason the pushrods gave me slop were mainly my fault, and zbends made it worse - the control horns I used had holes smaller then the piano wire, so the drill I used was a touch too large and that's where the slop came in. I found a few shorts lengths of smaller wire so that coupled with the keepers should give me no slop.

This plane is a floppy foamy, so I'm not expecting IMAC stuff - I have planes to do that. Just something I can thrash and do basics with is good enough for me, just like to get rid of the some of the more annoying aspects.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:02 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,220 Posts
Neat plane Cam, I like the lines of the Sbach. I'm curious what the weight is on it. Is that the Turnigy 1300kv or 1500kv motor? I just finished and maidened a 32.5" EPP Leadfeather Yak 55 today. I'm flying with the 1300kv motor with 500mah 3S batteries. AUW is 7.3 oz with 3-8g servos and a carbon fiber truss system running down both sides and flats embedded in the control surfaces. With the CF bracing this thing flies stiff. I flew it in 10+ mph winds and it had no twist, flex or flutter. I built it for light wind outdoor flying, hence the heavier electronics and CF but it's still a floater. I just used sharpies to add some checks and stuff to give it some contrast. If you're interested in how I did the carbon fiber I can take a picture tomorrow. I'd highly recommend using the bracing if you have some weight to give and want to stiffen it up.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:08 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
I'm probably going to weigh it tomorrow - I'll post back up then.

It's the 1500kv motor and it's rather excessive to say the least.

I used to build really light so I don't know where it's at - I lost weight over stock in the pushrod department, added some CF between the nose and wing horizontal piece (which made it so much more manageable in high alpha) and that's really it.

But I super like this plane, it's a fun one.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:50 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,918 Posts
Most people love the Sbach planes. I foresee a Sbach .45 in my future for e-conversion
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:17 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Galbraith View Post
I'm probably going to weigh it tomorrow - I'll post back up then.

It's the 1500kv motor and it's rather excessive to say the least.

I used to build really light so I don't know where it's at - I lost weight over stock in the pushrod department, added some CF between the nose and wing horizontal piece (which made it so much more manageable in high alpha) and that's really it.

But I super like this plane, it's a fun one.
I bet that has the power with 3S

I think they can handle a little weight gain, so long as you get a good return for it. I don't mind a bit of extra weight for more precise control, durability, and a reasonable flight time with good power. If I flew indoors more my weight/value perspective would adjust.

Overall these things are "hard to beat" in terms of "bang for your buck". Sorry, my attempt at being punny.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:24 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
I bet that has the power with 3S

I think they can handle a little weight gain, so long as you get a good return for it. I don't mind a bit of extra weight for more precise control, durability, and a reasonable flight time with good power. If I flew indoors more my weight/value perspective would adjust.

Overall these things are "hard to beat" in terms of "bang for your buck". Sorry, my attempt at being punny.
<headshake>

Well this thing hovers at 1/4 throttle, and will OOS at 1/2 throttle from a hover. I don't think weight is a problem for it(I don't think it's overweight) but for indoors I'll likely go 2s just for bounceability factor.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 03:23 PM
Joined Feb 2010
152 Posts
Okay, mine is not an Sbach, but a similar E-foamy that I built for football season.
Yet to maiden it.

Forgot to add...my first non-rtf. First kit build.
mtnpilot is offline Find More Posts by mtnpilot
Old Sep 25, 2010, 05:11 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
[QUOTE=
Thanks for reading and thanks for the great plane! Will have a blast tossing this thing indoors![/QUOTE]

I bought the edge 540 from E-foamy same as you. Havent built it with all the parts yet but i should have it up and running by Friday i hope it does as well as your Sbach.
bakon is offline Find More Posts by bakon
Old Sep 28, 2010, 08:35 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
mtnpilot - i love black and yellow - sweet colours.

bakon - good luck with build/flight - post pics!

i added some cf tubes to strengthen the tail. i remember from my shockies after i removed the tail twist they always flew better. so i added some trussing down the fuse and some braces on the rudder.

i have access to a gym tomorrow night but i'm going to fly my 'small stik' there - cut down an old slow stick to meet indoor size requirements.

For good reference -
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:18 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
Here's my plane get the last of the electronics in hopefully tommorow
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:20 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
looks really nice! is that CF strips on the aft fuse?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:25 PM
I Toast Planes
Joined Jul 2010
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Galbraith View Post
looks really nice! is that CF strips on the aft fuse?
I think they are on mine if thats the plane you are asking about. I can't say for certain since this is my first 3D foamie ever.and my first plane that I did not buy preassembled.