HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:31 PM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Discussion
2D GPS chart and Live mode Instruments?

On my first trip to the field today I was able to get a USB connection to the dashboard for a live mode test of the GPS map. I had the sailplane in the back of the truck powered on so I could see how well the track was following the local roads while I drove around the area of our field. I noticed when I was on the right side of the map the track was a good bit off, but as I drove more toward the upper left corner the track was closer. My Son then noticed the map image I used from Google Earth was not oriented North UP as indicated by the small compass in the upper left corner.

I never noticed that while capturing the map image. I will try to get one pre-oriented if possible an try again.

As I was driving around we tried to use the Live Mode in the 2D GPS Map mode and the instrument panel at the same time. That would tend to look up the computer and I would lose both of them. Is that possible to do??

The only way to get all the info I would need to fly the plane back if I lost sight would be to have both windows open at the same time.

Any ideas on this one?

Bob
Bob_W is offline Find More Posts by Bob_W
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:18 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,921 Posts
Bob, Live Mode in the 2D GPS map should still work, but we generally recommend people to use Google Earth, since the features & quality are so much better. Note that you can use Google Earth and the display instruments simultaneously in live mode. Would that not meet your needs?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:08 AM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Bill:

I did get the 2D GPS map and the instruments working together at the field yesterday. I think my original problem with the USB connection was preventing that from working properly.

I am going to try the Google Earth approach as that sounds like it would work well. Will Google Earth work without a live internet connection?

I will be traveling for the next two weeks but hope to fly while I am away. I most likely will not have any internet access except for occasional trips to a free wireless source. I hope to be able to demonstrate the system to the other sailplane flyers at their local club

Thanks
Bob
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:13 AM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
I have been searching for info on using Google Earth (GE) offline an it appears that there is not a straight forward approach. Something about scanning the area of interest in GE while on line and that will create cached data that may be used later offline. I'm not sure how that is saved since I read on one of the sites I found that I need to rename the cache file. Any other ideas or help would be appreciated.

Bob
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:39 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
You can save files in GE in .kmz format and load them as needed.

You can go into the data buffer setting of GE and max it out, then simply go to the area of interest and pan around the area while zoomed in. That will load the current session files in your temporary folder.

The go to the menu and use the "Save Place" to save the file on your hard drive. It helps to give it a name that makes it easily identifiable later. When you are offline you simply use the menu to open the file you saved.

Hope this helps,

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:34 PM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Rob:

I'll try that out this evening after I get home. It will be nice to be able to zoom and pan while I am flying. A large are is needed if something goes wrong and I end up outside the normal boundaries.

Thanks
Bob
Old Sep 23, 2010, 04:42 PM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Bob,

Good luck with it. If you happen to have a cell/web account you can use it for web connetions with your laptop. I use a Sierra Wireless Aircard 875 on my T-Mobile account to get web connectivity in the field. They have good CDMA coverage in my area.

Alternately if you have bluetooth you can "tether" your phone and get web connectivity that way.

Have a great day,

Rob
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:50 PM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Rob:

I tried so save a GE map file to the local drive but I only get a 300 byte KMZ file. I used File>save>save place as... to save the file and got the small file.

Any other ideas? I'll keep trying.

Bob
Old Sep 24, 2010, 05:06 AM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
The file size is not important, it is compressed. Just so long as it had all the data for the area of interest you should be fine.

Check you cache settings in the "Tools" menu.

The cache size setting are based on your installed memory and disk capacity. I wouldn't change the memory setting, this can cause operational problems for your machine while GE is open.

You can increase the disk cache size to a max of 2 GIG, (2000 Meg) again depending on your hard drive size it may or may-not be a good idea to increase it. If there is not a capacity problem then increasing it to the max of 2000 helps a lot. Too big and with limited drive space again you suddenly have performance issues with your machine while GE is running.

The very next thing I would do is with GE open log out of the server, (go offline from them, not offline from the internet) and then use the "tools" menu to clear the "cache".

Log back into their server and go to the place of interest. Look around a bit. Plan a flight or two. Put some marks on good turn spots and a pin for where you will fly from. Do not go peek at Grammas' place in Webogen.

Now use the menu to "Save" the place. Use whatever name. Now log out of GE servers. Now use the "File" menu to open the "place" you saved and "ipso-facto-presto" there is your flying spot.

There are a number of other ways to do it varying in complexity but this is the simplest by far.

Good luck, Google Earth is a very sophisticated program.

Rob
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:49 AM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Rob:

I will try this again this evening and see how it works. I noticed that all the map images seem to be stored in the temporary internet files folder. The places.kmz file that is saved must be the pointer to a coordinate location and then the maps are pulled from cache location. At one point I must have had 50 or more larger kmz files in the temporary folder until I deleted them manually and started over. I am not sure what would happen if I cleared the cache from my browser.

The default cache settings were aorund 160MB of memory and 2 GB hard drive space so they seemed Ok.

I am not sure how to log off the GE server but I should be able to find that. I will be traveling starting this afternoon and will not have reliable internet service until I get back. I hope to be able to find a few hot spots so I can at least get the maps saved.

Thanks again for all the help. I'll let you know how this works out when I get a chance.

Bob
Old Sep 28, 2010, 02:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
I finally got to a WIFi site to check the forum and post a question.

It took a while to get GE installed on the notebook since there were a couple of older system files in my version of Win2K that GE didn't like. Finally got it working and then panned our area here to cache the local maps. That worked Ok, except now when I open the KML file set up in the Eagle Tree software I only get the track on the screen up to that point in time. If I move after opening the file it does not auto update. To see full track up to the current time I have to open the file again.

I am apparently missing something in how to set up GE for a real time track while running ET in live mode. I saw an earlier post written about changing network live mode setting (or something like that) in GE but I see no option for that. I would appreciate another clue as I am getting close.

Forgot to add the GE software info. I am running the free version: Google Earth 5.2.1.1588

Bob
Last edited by Bob_W; Sep 28, 2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add GE software version
Old Sep 30, 2010, 12:26 AM
Joined Nov 2003
4,921 Posts
Hi Bob,

That's odd. Can you confirm you followed the steps for GE live mode in the GPS manual here?
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:24 AM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Bill:

The options for live mode are set per the manual. All the boxes are checked and the file was set to: "C:\Documents and Settings\Bob\My Documents\Flight Data\google-live.kml". If I monitor the file using Windows explorer it is continually increasing in size each time I refresh the Windows Explorer window. It appears that the file is being created by ET software but GE isn't updating the path. In GE I can reload the file and each time the path will be updated but only when the file is loaded. I can fly or drive for 5 minutes and no updates will occur in GE until I reload the file.

It would appear to be something in GE but I can't find it. Does it require the "Pro" version to do this?

Also in your software there is an option for selecting the live mode device. Mine is currently set for "eLogger/Data Recorder" but seems to work fine while using the Seagull dashboard. The KML file is still created and the path is correct.

Just a side note, the live mode options are under "Software" instead of "Tools" as mentioned in the manual.

Sure would like to get this worknig, so any help would be appreciated. I'll try each suggestion as soon as possible.

Thanks
Bob
Old Sep 30, 2010, 04:14 PM
Joined Sep 2010
102 Posts
Does anyone know what the "Add>Network Link" option does in GE? It allows you to specify a KML file and the "GE help" seems to describe the function as something that could work in this instance. I'll try it once I get back to my planes tomorrow morning. If this is it, then would be helpful if it is mentioned in the GPS expander manual.

Any comments appreciated:

Bob
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:07 PM
Resistance is Futile
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_W View Post
Does anyone know what the "Add>Network Link" option does in GE? It allows you to specify a KML file and the "GE help" seems to describe the function as something that could work in this instance. I'll try it once I get back to my planes tomorrow morning. If this is it, then would be helpful if it is mentioned in the GPS expander manual.

Any comments appreciated:

Bob
The "Add Network Link" will work but can be confusing to use. There is a "timeline" involved with that. You will see if you try it.

If you just start ET live mode then go to GE and use the "file" "open" menu and open the file you specified in the ET setup that should work.

Hope this helps.

Rob