SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by rcjake, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:50 AM
FEAR CD 2006-2009
United States, AZ, Tonopah
Joined Dec 2003
407 Posts
Trader Rating: 12
Sold
OS 61 Pumped

This engine is clean, has great compression and smooth bearings. The throttle works smoothly and is not stiff.

I have not run this engine, so no warranty is implied or given.

$90.00 shipped in the CONUS
rcjake is offline Find More Posts by rcjake
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:13 PM
Suspended Account
new hampshire
Joined Mar 2010
34 Posts
Trader Rating: 43
ringed or abc?
aerowoof is offline Find More Posts by aerowoof
Old Sep 19, 2010, 03:16 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
I'm pretty sure that one is ABC.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Sep 19, 2010, 03:47 PM
FEAR CD 2006-2009
Joined Dec 2003
407 Posts
You know, I am unsure. There is a ring present, but I have bought some engines that were ABC Ringed. Here is a photo of the piston.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:19 PM
Suspended Account
new hampshire
Joined Mar 2010
34 Posts
Trader Rating: 43
that's an oil groove in an abc engine not a ring
aerowoof is offline Find More Posts by aerowoof
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:35 PM
FEAR CD 2006-2009
Joined Dec 2003
407 Posts
After closer inspection, I find that aerowoof is correct. That is not a small ring, but an oil groove like he says.

I do know that in the 80's, Super Tigre made a 60 in Ringed, ABC and ABC ringed. I know this because I had the ABC ringed version.

Jake
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:44 PM
FEAR CD 2006-2009
Joined Dec 2003
407 Posts
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :^)

Feel free to make an offer.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 04:41 PM
Suspended Account
Indian River lagoon, FL
Joined Jun 2010
153 Posts
Trader Rating: 62
Can you pull the liner out to see if all the nickel plating is intact? These were known for premature failure.
midwest_plans is offline Find More Posts by midwest_plans
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:10 PM
FEAR CD 2006-2009
Joined Dec 2003
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_plans View Post
Can you pull the liner out to see if all the nickel plating is intact? These were known for premature failure.
I am not willing to disassemble this engine to check the liner. You can see in the photo that the piston is not discolored, scuffed or scratched and I can see no problems with the liner when looking through the exhaust port. This is a low time engine and I do not believe there is any problems with it.

BTW, I knew that OS had a lot of problems with the plating in the liners of the 46FX de-laminating, but not with the early version of their 61 size engines.

Jake
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:34 PM
Suspended Account
Indian River lagoon, FL
Joined Jun 2010
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjake View Post
I am not willing to disassemble this engine to check the liner. ...BTW, I knew that OS had a lot of problems with the plating in the liners of the 46FX de-laminating, but not with the early version of their 61 size engines.

Jake
Here's one. SF was the worst of the bunch. It's no great effort to pull the head bolts, but it's your engine. A lot of guys won't take "as is" deals without some inspection. The piston skirt has little to do with the nickel failure, such as this stage shown in the photo. Even the pump can be bad, and there is no replacement for this series engine.

Bump for you though...
Old Sep 23, 2010, 10:55 PM
FEAR CD 2006-2009
Joined Dec 2003
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_plans View Post
Here's one. SF was the worst of the bunch. It's no great effort to pull the head bolts, but it's your engine. A lot of guys won't take "as is" deals without some inspection. The piston skirt has little to do with the nickel failure, such as this stage shown in the photo. Even the pump can be bad, and there is no replacement for this series engine.

Bump for you though...
The piston & piston skirt may "have little to do with the nickle failure", but it's condition will give you an idea as how the engine was run, how much time is on the engine, etc.

I do not want to get into a big debate here. I am just trying to sell this engine and am not going to take it apart to check the liner. Next thing, someone will want me to take the pump apart to check the condition of the parts there. I am not going to do it. If I end up keeping this engine, it makes a nice conversation piece.

BTW, I thought the FX series of OS engines had the worst reputation for flaking in the cylinder...especially the 46. I saw many, many of those fail.

Jake

PS,
I appreicate your comments, MP. Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:03 AM
Suspended Account
Indian River lagoon, FL
Joined Jun 2010
153 Posts
It's a great conversation piece, and we just had a conversation about it.

I am truly interested in this engine, especially since you were asking for offers. If it had a better return policy and inspection of the common nickel failure issue to rule it out, (all it takes is a lean run, and lots of beginners bought the FX46, it's not necessarily the engine, it's the abusive / inexperienced owner killing the engine with lean runs), it would have been sold last night. Any $90 sale deserves a test run or money back policy by the seller, or the buyer. Considering a reluctance to do anything for a buyer before and after the sale, I have to decline making an offer based upon it's performance value that you've advertised it at. Not knowing it will run reliably and that it's sold as is, should have a lower price due to the risk the buyer is forced to take.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:08 AM
Suspended Account
Indian River lagoon, FL
Joined Jun 2010
153 Posts
It's too bad it's not just a standard SF61 and ringed. I just picked one up a couple of days ago, no muffler, similarly priced. I had no issue with ringed versions of the SF. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1311418

$55 shipped, as is, with all faults unknown?
Last edited by midwest_plans; Sep 24, 2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:10 AM
FEAR CD 2006-2009
Joined Dec 2003
407 Posts
Good for you, MP. I am glad that you found an engine you liked. After all of your posts here on my ad, I seriously doubt that I will be able to sell mine.

Jake
Closed Thread