HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2010, 03:18 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
I bet in the end I am going to end up using Krylon Fusion and be done with it!
NC Fly is offline Find More Posts by NC Fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:09 PM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilatuspc12 View Post
Guz,

that's a dual-action airbrush, right? Is a single action Badger brush OK for the job? Thanks,

Randy
Don't go with a single action. If you're going to get an airbrush, move up to a double action (classic or trigger style). You'll be wanting a double action soon after using a single action. It's worth moving up. But if you only have a single action, by all means use it! Still better than a rattle can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967250s View Post
Guz, thanks for that info. I thought it was maybe a rechargeable can. The videos on you tube showed a poor spray pattern, too.
What model airbrush is that in the photo? It looks like a nice size cup on it. I would prefer an airbrush as I've worked with them before, with much better results.
As an aside, does anyone know how much pressure is in a typical can of spray paint? Would it be possible to modify one for re-charging and refilling? Probably more trouble than it's worth, just curious.
I just picked the image from Google Images. But it looks like a Master series. I have a Master G76, with three cup sizes. I like it. There are some Chinese versions of the Master airbrushes on ebay, a bit cheaper and just as good, oddly enough. They just aren't stamped as "Master". But if you want support and a good vendor, you can't go wrong with TCP Global. Check eBay because TCP Global sometimes sells their stuff there at a discount.

I really don't know how much pressure is in a rattle can. But as Dick said, there are a bunch of solvents included in spray cans, so recharging isn't really viable.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:00 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Still have some epoxy filleting to do, but both bulkheads, the keel trunk and rudder box are done. As is the rudder and keel, sans epoxy and lead. Test fit the deck and that is all real good.

I finally found my metric tape, so I got curious. I only get 99cm from stem to stern. Where is the extra centimeter supposed to come from? I figure the deck will only take up a few mm at most. Randy, feel like measuring just your bare hull?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:32 PM
Tow Dog.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,651 Posts
Howard,

Yes, I did and it came out to 39 and 3/8 inches or 39.375 inches or 100.0125 centimeters! How's that for being lucky! The hull was inverted without the deck on and pushed up against my bookshelf, next to my workbench. Then at the hull stern centerline measured with a right-angle with a tape measure. 3 times it came out the same. I guess you could do the same with book-ends as long as they were perpendicular to your work table. Just squeeze the book-ends up to the stem and stern and measure straight across. I don't know if all these exacting measurements are going to make a lot of difference in the water. I think it will be the Skipper's style and the rigging set-up that will make the boat go fast!

Randy

P.S. Horward your boat looks good!
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:06 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Quote:
Howard,

Yes, I did and it came out to 39 and 3/8 inches or 39.375 inches or 100.0125 centimeters! How's that for being lucky! The hull was inverted without the deck on and pushed up against my bookshelf, next to my workbench. Then at the hull stern centerline measured with a right-angle with a tape measure. 3 times it came out the same. I guess you could do the same with book-ends as long as they were perpendicular to your work table. Just squeeze the book-ends up to the stem and stern and measure straight across.
Well, I'm sure going to turn that thing upside down and measure it proper in the morning! I think they shorted me!

Quote:
I don't know if all these exacting measurements are going to make a lot of difference in the water. I think it will be the Skipper's style and the rigging set-up that will make the boat go fast!
Oh yeah, I couldn't care less. But knowing my luck and my superior skippering skills, I'll win a race by a mile only to be disqualified for a short boat! Well......not really.

Quote:
P.S. Horward your boat looks good!
Thanks. I'm really just fumbling along and making some things up as I go. I didn't want to put anything other than the supplied blocks in the aft bulkhead, but then thought if there's going to be some kind of block or eye fastened there, it should have something more substantial to attach to.

I'm not going to have much time to work on it in the following week, plus I am awaiting a new sail servo from the hobby shop. Still need to order a whole host of other stuff too. The clear hatch and gooseneck/vang from Victor, new battery set and an on/off switch.....and some through deck fittings to replace what came in the kit. Haven't really looked at all the available little fittings yet.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 09:29 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Quote:
Howard,

Yes, I did and it came out to 39 and 3/8 inches or 39.375 inches or 100.0125 centimeters! How's that for being lucky!
Couldn't stand it, so I measured it twice. 39 3/16th in. or 39.1875 in. or 99.5 cm! Not so lucky!

The cap will take up a mm or 2 on the stem, so if I absolutely had to be legal, I could go heavy on some bondo on the transom! Not even enough to worry about, I guess. Thankfully, the top edge of the hull at the transom is even, so nothing needs to be cut except the extra length of the deck. Geez, I'll never get to sleep tonight!

I just fastened a backing plate on the inside of the transom for the backstay. I am thinking about putting the transom on tonight, but will probably wait until morning, getting too late. After I install the transom, I am thinking of running a lateral support running forward for that backing plate on the transom. Maybe attach it to the bottom middle of the rudder block. That backstay fitting is going to get a pretty good workout. Whaddya think?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:33 PM
Tow Dog.
Joined Oct 2006
1,651 Posts
Wow,

You bet! If it's a RCH short, than the boat will be faster! Maybe. The transom fitting(back stay) will probably be made of brass sheet with 2 screws holding it on. I think the rudder block idea is good. I think I'll use a couple of semi-bulkheads, fore and aft of the rudder block and fiberglass cloth reinforcement.
I ordered the 4-40 screw eye fittings and blind nuts from the evil empire along with a Hitec 815BB sail winch servo today. They should be here next week, hopefully. Here's a couple photos. My newest cat has been helping me all day. The little stinker gets right on the work table right as I'm gluing something and gets cat hairs in it! Racing with Cat Fur!

Randy
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; Sep 24, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:56 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Looking GREAT, Randy!

I ordered the same winch, it's a big honker! I like to buy stuff like that at the local hobby shop. I went in and inquired about it, expecting a huge markup. He tells me $45. GREAT! Sign me up! They don't carry any sail stuff whatsoever. Cars, planes and helis.

This is our local flying club, by the way. I built and maintain the little website for them and I get a free membership in return. I haven't even flown there yet. I have a Super Cub but have only flown it a couple of times. My buddy got me some floats for it, but I'm nowhere near ready for that yet. Really great group of folks though: http://www.southernairrc.com/

I'd imagine you can probably fly blindfolded. At least the models.....
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:17 AM
Tow Dog.
Joined Oct 2006
1,651 Posts
Howard,

Thanks, the build is moving. Today, I am going to go to our model field and fly. I am charging the batteries as we speak. The field is 33 miles away, so it takes a little while to get to. The Park lake is only 22 miles from here! The Park Rangers said no "motorized" boats are allowed. So that means electric and sailboats!
Next on the list is the rudder block assembly. I'm in the build groove now! I hope your Super Cub flies well. They are great airplanes, model and full-size!

Randy
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:52 AM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
I am designing my servo and battery trays today. Can't do anything permanent since I don't have the big servo. I got the dimensions for it, but am unsure the height from the bottom to the screw brackets.

So the lake doesn't allow "motorized". Electric motors aren't considered motorized? That's a pretty long hike to some water. I am lucky here, got about 75 feet to walk to my dock in the backyard. Kind of a double-edge sword though, because I have always looked out there thinking that it's such a convenient place to have a sailboat!

Have fun today!

Howard
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:11 PM
Tow Dog.
Joined Oct 2006
1,651 Posts
Sorry about that. I meant to say no engined boats. Sailboats and electric boats allowed. No float planes either! They are taking away most of the fun. The sailboat will be fun. I am really looking forward to it.

Randy
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:31 PM
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2007
946 Posts
Soling 1 meter

Here is a nice Soling but larger scale.
Regards,
John
jaguar75 is offline Find More Posts by jaguar75
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:58 PM
Tow Dog.
Joined Oct 2006
1,651 Posts
Nice boat John. I love your sail number! I think maybe after this, the bigger boats are the way to go. Read, fiberglass hulls!

Randy
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:45 PM
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2007
946 Posts
Soling 1 meter

Not my boat but was sailing at this regatta in West Sacramento,Ca.My boat is this one:Infinity-54.These are a bargain now.These various older AMYA class sailboats can be very inexpensive second hand,especially when the owners are getting too old to get out and sail anymore!They will last a lifetime,too.
Regards,
John
jaguar75 is offline Find More Posts by jaguar75
Last edited by jaguar75; Sep 25, 2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:25 AM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Quote:
Sorry about that. I meant to say no engined boats. Sailboats and electric boats allowed. No float planes either! They are taking away most of the fun. The sailboat will be fun. I am really looking forward to it.

Randy

I knew what you meant, just ribbin' ya!

Yep, taking away all the fun so others can....well....I don't know what others do!