HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2010, 10:10 AM
Yank Pilot
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,668 Posts
Righto,

my boat measured at 39 and 3/8 inches in my jig as I recall. Since most guys that race their boats, put a bow bumper on, that changes things anyways but I think those are allowed as per the racing rules. Good luck. If nothing else, you can add some plastic and filler to make up the length.
On another note, I would really like to see if anyone's boat came in at the "minimum" racing weight with all the recommended hull reinforcements and extra nice fittings and a good paint job added in. Any input on this? The reason I ask is, some day I would like to make a bare bones racing version of this boat for competition. If I can find any competition, out here on the western slope of Colorado!

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is offline Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:00 AM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,022 Posts
Weight

Mine weighs in at 10 lbs 4 oz. ready to sail. Pretty close to the minium, and it's painted with Rustoleum. . We had boats in Florida, a fleet of 19, and some weighed as much as 12 lbs and sailed well. They had a slight advantage in heavy winds, where the lighter boats were better (slightly) in light winds. It's really up to the skipper. Knowing how to trim your boat and reading the winds relative to the race course are more important than a (fast) boat. It's the skipper who really makes the difference, and being in the right place at the right time on the course to use the winds to your advantage. I have lost races to the slowest boats in the fleet cause they got the more favorable wind shifts and pulled away from the fleet, never to be caught.

We are looking at 60+ temps here this weekend so maybe Howard and I can put in and do some racing. Happy New Year, Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Old Dec 29, 2010, 06:41 PM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,668 Posts
Tom,

Thanks for the info. I hope you and Howard have a Happy New Year also.
I feel much better because my boat is a little "portly" but it stills moves out when needed. I think next year, I'll get the opportunity to go over to Denver and run with a group over there. I'm looking forward to it and see if the best skipper makes a heavy boat win the race.

Randy
Old Dec 29, 2010, 07:03 PM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,668 Posts
Tom,

here is our current weather for the next couple of days. This photo was taken just a few minutes ago off my front porch.

Randy
Old Dec 30, 2010, 12:34 PM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
If pouring the keel is the last step in building your boat, you can bring it in at exactly 10# no matter how many bells and whistles have been included. Or you can recast the keel on a heavy boat.
Blue Heron is offline Find More Posts by Blue Heron
Old Dec 30, 2010, 01:58 PM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,668 Posts
Thanks,

I bought the keel pre-made from Victor. I didn't get a chance to weigh it. There you go, wa-ha. It stays up right in the wind, though!

A Soling Newbie
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; Dec 30, 2010 at 02:03 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 01:38 PM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
Continuous Loop Tension Spring

When a spring loaded drum is not available for the servo to tension the continuous loop, this compression spring provides less distortion to the servo side of the loop than an extension spring. The spring is hardware bought 7/16 X 1-7/16 0.041 dia. compression spring Spring is capped by fitting into the recess of finish washers to stabilize around 2-2/4" cotter pin that slides through a Victor kit fairlead tube.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:15 AM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
How do your repair of service your set up?

Forgive the dumb question. Once the deck has been bonded to the hull, how do you repair or replace any of the components of your set up?
Can you get your hands in there?
(Which is does look very cool, by the way.)

Thank you
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Jan 31, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 09:13 PM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
Boomer,

The block is accessible through the lazz hatch to replace the tensioning line. Unfortunately, the line will wear with each movement of the spring.

This was a retrofit. If I do it again, I'll put the spring on the bow block so the aft block can just be used only for tension adjustment.

A major disadvantage of using a drum servo winch for an S1M is the difficulty with maintenance. In this case, though, a judgment was made to use a drum because of its greater tolerance to an unsteady hand compared to an arm servo.
Old Feb 01, 2011, 12:07 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
Thank you for the information. I have had a boat with a winch set up, but many more with servos. While the winch worked will, I prefer the servo arrangement and found it to be more user friendly. (my opinion)

I am always trying to learn more about winch set ups, your set up looked interesting, if you could get to it to service it.

Boomer
Old Feb 04, 2011, 08:55 PM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,668 Posts
Here is my wife's Christmas present, finally installed on the boat. Just remember: fish are our friends!

Randy
Old Feb 04, 2011, 09:36 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,474 Posts
Truely a great sail!!
Boomer
Old Feb 04, 2011, 10:10 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
880 Posts
Randy

that is SWEEEEEEEEEEEET !
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Feb 04, 2011, 11:11 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
That's cool.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Feb 05, 2011, 08:26 AM
Yank Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
1,668 Posts
Thanks guys. I can't wait to get her out on the water and see how she performs. These Windjammer sails are slightly heavier than the original stock sails but they are ever so slightly larger. They also have battens, tell tales and grommet reinforcements. They are definitely a much better built sail. Right now, the lakes are frozen, so I'll have to wait. When I go, I'll take some photos of her on the water.

Randy