HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:21 PM
Faith in Lift.
United States, CO, Hotchkiss
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
Discussion
Soling 1 meter

I am currently building a Soling 1 meter and was wondering if anyone else was building one also.

Randy
Pilatuspc12 is online now Find More Posts by Pilatuspc12
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:31 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
934 Posts
Soling 1 M

Hey Randy
Welcome to a great class boat !
If you need any info or building tips , here are some websites you
should know about.

www.theamya.org ( use the club locator to find Col. RC sailing clubs )
www.theamya.org/boats/s1m ( Soling class page on AMYA site)
www.soling1m.com ( Soling site run by class secretary Tim Willings)
groups.yahoo.com/groups/solingonemeter ( yahoo group for S1M )

and use the search option here on RCGroups to find past discussions
about Solings.
oh, and the yahoo group has lots of pictures , so you can see how others
have set up their radio boards.

good tips are to
use screw eye BOLTS on the deck for the stays to attach to.
if kit comes with a rudder TUBE , use solid rod instead - and run rod up
into a block of wood on the underside of the deck-this way the rudder
stock is supported thru a block of wood at the hull , and up to the deck.
have fun
Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:38 AM
Faith in Lift.
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
Soling 1 meter Build Jig

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply. I like the idea that there is so much info for these boats available on the web! The last few months I have spent researching all the necessary modifications to make the boat more durable and sail better. I appreciate your advice. It sounds like you've had some experience with the "light weight hull" of the boat.

Randy

P.S. I have already built a building jig for it from one of the websites in case any one else out here would like to build a "straight" boat.
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; Sep 20, 2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:01 AM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Hi Randy,

I just built my jig yesterday! Waiting on my Soling kit to arrive!

Howard
NC Fly is offline Find More Posts by NC Fly
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:18 PM
Faith in Lift.
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
Howard,

Excellent, glad to have you aboard. I hope we can exchange some ideas as this is my first sailboat build.

Randy
Last edited by Pilatuspc12; Sep 20, 2010 at 12:45 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:51 AM
Faith in Lift.
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
Just completed the keel trunk.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:33 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Excellent! This will be my first build as well. Although my kit has yet to arrive. I've been reading up a lot though.....even printed out a bunch of write-ups and made a notebook. I am really anxious!

Did you build your keel yet? If so, did you use polyester or epoxy resin? Are you going to permanently bond it to the hull? I believe I will, I don't plan on having to take it apart in the future.

How about your electronics layout? Have you decided where everything's going? Are you going to paint it? Decide on a color yet?

Heck, I've got all kinds of curious questions, don't I?
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:21 AM
Faith in Lift.
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
NC Fly,

This is good, let the questions fly! I was going to print out some of the build pages from the web site build articles but decided to bring my laptop downstairs to the basement with me instead. It's easier for me to think when I can see the color photographs!
The keel on my boat was the pre-built option. I decided to have them(Victor) make it correctly and save me the trouble of possibly making mistakes. The articles say to use only epoxy-resin for the keel. I am going to permanently bolt and epoxy it to the hull as I have heard too many stories of it leaking! There doesn't appear to be a strong enough reason not to.
The radio board that screws to the keel trunk and forward main bulkhead shelf, is what I'd like to do. If any component needs maintenance, it will be easier to access them that way. Both of my bulkheads, the main and aft, will be enlarged in inner diameter with the plywood reinforcement doublers installed. I will use a Hitec sailwinch servo with a double sided servo arm to reduce the mechanical parts count. The receiver batteries will go forward of the mast/forward bulkhead for better weight distribution.
The hull will be painted but I haven't decided on a color yet. The sails will be stock to start with and we'll see how they do. Since I'm the only one out here( I think) with one of these boats, I figured I'd sail it around a little and see if it would draw any interest at the local park lake.

Randy

P.S. I've been looking at this paint scheme.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:09 AM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Hi Randy,

That all sounds great, good to hear you've got it all planned out! I like your ideas and sounds like it pretty much parallels mine.

My kit is coming from a member here that never built theirs. Had I bought it new, I would've gone for the pre-built keel. I'm not so much worried about screwing it up (although there definitely is that consideration), but after realizing how much the epoxy and the lead is going to cost, you're money ahead getting it from Victor!

Are you replacing a lot of the stock Victor hardware? If so, with what?

That's a flashy paint job and I like it a lot. I believe I am going for something a little more classic, at least for now. Not a Soling, but I like this one.

Howard

Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:15 AM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
934 Posts
pilatuspc12
here's another view of that S1M.........
but this image doesn't do justice to the quality of this paint job.
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:57 AM
Faith in Lift.
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
Howard,

I purchased the brass boom vang and gooseneck along with the clear hatch cover from Victor as well. I thought they looked nicer. The hardware I will use is through bolts with blind nuts on the bottom with locknuts and locktite topside. I think this should anchor the stays better and be removable if the need arises. The other idea is to make a brass L-shaped anchor for the stays and jib stay and drill 3 holes in them for adjustment fore or aft. These would be anchored through the deck blocks with through bolts as well for permanency. I haven't decided yet. I have a lot of R/C aircraft hardware lying around so I'll try to use as much of that as I can.
That paint scheme looks definitely classic. I like some of the older paint schemes but some of the new ones stand out as well.
I am going to reinforce the areas along the sides of the keel trunk and rudder block with fiberglass cloth and epoxy to make sure the hull doesn't develop any cracks in those areas, Heaven forbid!

Allan, thanks for that extra photo of the same boat. Do you know this person that made this boat by chance? I would like to hear how he/she colored the sails.

Randy
Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:23 PM
New Bern, NC
Joined Dec 2009
119 Posts
Randy,

I'm going to have to go with a custom gooseneck or Victor's as well. I like the clear hatch idea too.

In one of the build articles I printed out, they actually recommend using cotter pins instead of eyebolts on the deck. I'll find a link to that article, thought it was interesting. I agree with them that it'd be permanent and very strong, but nice to have the through-bolts so they can be removed. Might be nice for painting or repainting.

Anyway, here's a link to a past thread that happens to have YOUR paint job in there posted by the owner. He does nice work.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1162996

Nice sails here and they do custom stuff: http://www.beanbag.com/wjsails/soling.asp

I also have this club bookmarked because I thought they had a nice links section on the right-hand side: http://sarasotamyc.com/

Hope this helps!

Howard
Old Sep 21, 2010, 01:52 PM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
If you're going to race your boats, a "flashy paint job" won't stay flashy very long. Besides, once it sails beyond 6 feet from shore, no one can tell flashy from not.

It is best to paint your boat and sails for visibility on the pond in a crowd. Painting free board different from deck and bottom help distinguish which way the boat is heeled. Carrying the deck color down the transom helps you tell whether your boat is sailing toward or away from you.
Blue Heron is offline Find More Posts by Blue Heron
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:04 PM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,357 Posts
Here are a couple of photos that I collected in the past of an extremely well built and "clean" Soling 1 meter. Apologies, but I don't recall who provided these to me, but have a "hunch" it was a good sailor from the Northeast.

Everyone likes photos of radio gear set up, and again, a well thought out, well executed install.
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 04:28 PM
Faith in Lift.
Joined Oct 2006
1,719 Posts
Howard, thanks again for all that info. I think the blind nuts on the bottom of the anchor blocks for the stays are the way to go. The paint won't be flashy as the photo on this boat. I've been informed it will be a white deck over a royal blue hull. The transom will remain white for a special name.
Dick, that boat looks nice. It is very smooth. Thanks for the photos.

Randy