HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:53 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Aug 2008
322 Posts
Build Log
Jersey Speed Skiff

Hi everyone. My father and i decided to build two Jersey Speed Skiffs for us to race around with. Both boats will be Gas Powered and water cooled . They will be 4 feet long with a beam of 18 inches both Lapstrake construction with a coat of resin for more strength . Your gonna see some funny things in the build pictures, but thats just to make construction easier. One picture shows what looks like a keel on the bottom. Its Not. Its just a strong back to keep the shape we want . After its all planked the frames will be removed and The Ribs and bulkheads will be installed . Were gonna run 30cc Ryobe engines water cooled the same as our last gas boat project. Were open for ideas and suggestions ill do my best with questions . They should look very nice with the lapstrake construction and Fast !
Winkman1 is offline Find More Posts by Winkman1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:43 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,686 Posts
That's pretty cool Winkman1. At four feet you could almost ride in the thing. This looks like a fun thread to watch so please keep posting pictures when you can. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Sep 25, 2010, 06:36 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Aug 2008
322 Posts
Build Update

Hi everyone I just want to update the Skiff Build. My father got alot of work done in just 5 days . Hes got Three Planks on each side . He told me this is harder to build then the Real Boat . Lapstrake at this size is VERY hard to do but it Looks Great !!! But Now i have some more News . My father went in for a Planned heart valve replacement and double bypass operation yesterday so this build is on Hold for Now . Last Night was a Very Long night for us to say the Least. I Was with him today and he is doing Great, but in Much Pain. Just have to be positive . Hes got the best Doctors .. Hes gotta get better so he can finish this boat ! I Told him you guys were waiting also !
Old Sep 25, 2010, 06:46 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,139 Posts
Best wishes for your Dad, Winkman. Tell him we are all pulling for him!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:38 PM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
Quote:
Best wishes for your Dad, Winkman. Tell him we are all pulling for him!
Me too...
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 30, 2010, 05:59 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Aug 2008
322 Posts
Update

Hi everyone . My father is doing Great and almost back to Full Strength after His Heart Operation. Thank God !!! I wanted to update the Skiff Build with todays pictures . The Skiff Planking is Done . Next is a layer of Glass from the Water line Down and a coat Resin over the Entire Hull. I can tell you this Lapstrake Planking is VERY Time Consuming at this Scale. Very Hard to do my father told me, But it Looks Great . Were still kicking around Propulsion options . Maybe you guys can give us some Ideas Besides Weed eater Gas Engines.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 07:13 PM
GSMB Member
United States, NJ, Howell
Joined Mar 2008
1,823 Posts
Looks really good! Nice job!
ken_nj is offline Find More Posts by ken_nj
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:45 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,075 Posts
Best wishes to pop.

I thought bigger was easier?

Hull looks awesome.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Oct 31, 2010, 12:29 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,279 Posts
Yes it does.
MILLERTIME is online now Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:23 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,727 Posts
I would give some thought to a large brushless out runner motor and NI-MH batteries or LI-PO’s batteries for power other than going the Gas or Nitro route. Here in New Jersey we are running out of lakes to rug the gas or nitro motor boats, and the only trade off that I can see is that you don’t have the noise or smell of the gas motors.

As far as speed, the electrics can usually kick ass on the gas boats and are a lot less temperamental.

P.S. I really like the way the speed skiff is coming out, as one skiffer to another. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=895444

frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Last edited by frankg; Dec 20, 2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 01:58 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,139 Posts
Winkman, really glad to hear your Dad is doing well!

Like frankg just mentioned, gas is not so great anymore. Lots and lots of electric motor options that will blow gas right out of the water. And none of that weed whacker annoying noise.

Unless of course you made another super quiet silencer system like on your cabin cruiser. That was pretty amazing!

Anyway, back to electrics. How about an electric motor that is the equivalent of a 50cc two stroke engine? Double the size of your gas engines!

Here are some:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXJW5&P=0

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=5139

And of course there are lots and lots more that are smaller in power.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 31, 2010, 02:24 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,629 Posts
Great that your father is recovering well, this project is a good therapeutic tool to help in his recovery

Im an electric fan but runtime is a big problem, You have a place to run gas, how bout a four stroke Honda GX25, really quiet and good torque for sub-surface drive.

As the others have said there are heaps of options, Toms suggestions need a pile of Li-po to make RPM, 15 cells to make 10,000. Im seriously considering a couple of Little Screamers 600Kv motors, only need 5S to make the same power as a weed eater.

They look fantastic, are the plans available?

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Last edited by nick_75au; Oct 31, 2010 at 02:26 AM. Reason: Shoud have looked at the first posts pic's there they are
Old Oct 31, 2010, 03:15 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Aug 2008
322 Posts
Glassed

The Skiff got some fiberglass today as well as a coat of Resin . Its coming together ! Thanks Guys for the Powerplant ideas !
Old Nov 01, 2010, 06:48 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
This tread is included in the Woodies' Listings.

Real nice looking build. Looking forward to seeing more
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2010, 07:37 PM
Jersey Shore
Joined Aug 2008
322 Posts
Update 11/9/10

Hi everyone I Have another update on my fathers Jersey Speed Skiff Build. Hes Recovering well from surgery and has made alot of progress on the Skiff . Today he got done installing all the Oak Ribs and boy there is alot of them ! Also the Rudder is done . I Believe next will be Stringers and Bulkheads. The Hull is surprisingly Light at 6 3/4 pounds and is very strong and rigid . The bottom is glassed. The sides and Transom have 3 Coats of Resin . The deck will also be Mahogany and there will be no forward Cockpit as per the Plans . This Boats gonna get Wet ! Were still not sure weather were gonna go electric or Gas with Clutch . Were on a very Tight Budget . We would love to go electric but it seems that will cost much much more. Keep throwing the Power plant Ideas at us we need em ! ohhh one more thing ! This took him 2 days to build the ribs and install them . He told me that him and two other guys could build and install the ribs in a 34 footer in about 6 hours !!!!! WOW