SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:14 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
P-47 Jug: Cowl Mod

I just couldn't adapt to that "Picket Fence" looking thing FMS was calling their WASP replica, so I set out to try and come up with something better!

My first attempt was a 3 1/2" vacuum formed replica of the Pratt&Whitney 18 Cyl. WASP engine, but I found it to be to small! So I then tried the 4 1/2" replica and it was to big! A 4" would be just right, but I haven't been able to find one, so I got my trust scissors out and made the 4 1/2" fit!

I knew this experiment would get costly if I continued to order these vacuum formed replicas, so that directed me in another direction....vacuum forming my own! I am still in the learning process, but until I get it right, what I have now will have to do.

I also wanted to make an air duct to sit below the engine. I took a piece if 1/2" balsa and started cutting, carving and sharpening it to what I wanted. Once I got the mold/buck/plug, whatever you want to call it, to where I wanted it, I had to cast a mold, and then used 2 part epoxy resin to make the finished duct. I'm not going to get into all of that for now, I'll just let these pics illustrate what I've come up with so far, and I'll update later.

One annoying thing I did notice while I was trying to complete this mod was the radical off-set FMS has incorporated into the motor mount placement of this plane. I solved the issue by relocating the motor mount on the firewall. I have more info on that mod in the Motor Mount section.

Air Duct............Handmade epoxied model
Pratt&Whitney 18 Cyl. WASP replica......Park Flyer Plastics
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Aug 24, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts