HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:46 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
P-47 Jug: The Landing Gear!

The PZ 15091/514 E-Tracts with the Aluminum 40-120 P-51 Struts.

P-47_Landing Gear_3-05-2011 (2 min 34 sec)

UP-DATE 10/02/2010: I received the HK/PZ E-Tracts yesterday, and decided to see what changes I could achieve to make them work with the P-47?

UP-DATE 11/30/2010: I have the 3" Robart Goodyear ribbed tires with the scale 8-Spoked wheels installed on the Jug. I had to grind off about 1/16" from the VQ strut to assure clearance against any potential tire rub.

UP-DATE 2/13/2011: I have decided to take a new direction on both the E-Tracts and the struts on the JUG.

Without a great deal of modifications I was able to fit the PZ 514s in the wing sockets quite nicely. I made a couple of mounting plates out of 3/16" ply, and used the 2 outward attachment pins to anchor the plates in nice and tight while the epoxy cured. I cut a couple of shims to give them a bit of forward rake and that was it.

I've had a pair of these 40-120 Class Offset Oleo Struts for P51 Mustang from RC Skylite for quite some time now, and I thought the JUG was a perfect candidate for them. Although they are listed for the P-51, the wheel offset is not scale for the Mustang. But!....I got to thinking, the JUG retracts the LG with the wheels first in to the wheel wells! Sure enough, with the Robart Goodyears attached, they retracted nice a flush in the wells. The 5mm strut legs fit perfect in the 514s so everything was coming along nicely. I did have to make a 1/2" longer leg pin to compensate for the slightly shorter aluminum strut. I had to cut a bit more foam to clearance the A-arms. I then heated up the plastic strut skirts/covers to form more of a bend so they will clear the struts when compressed. That was pretty much it!

I have fitted both a set of Robart 2 3/4" and 3" Goodyears, and both fit great in the wells. The only thing I haven't figured out yet, is how I am going to make some brackets for the strut skirts/covers to attach to, but I'm working on it!

UP-DATE 3/06/2011:
I have finished the Aluminum strut mod, and have the skirts now mounted and ready to go. To eliminate any chance of prop wash or wind from getting under the skirts, I took my heat gun and warmed the plastic skirts so I could bend them to conform to the wing contour. Now they fit nice, and any wind traveling over the top will keep them shut. The PZ 514s do a great job in retracting the LG and seals those skirts nice and tight.
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Apr 01, 2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: UP-DATE!
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2011, 11:28 PM
DELTAS RULE
tehachapi, CA
Joined Jan 2006
22,743 Posts
man those struts look killer!

hey, i tried a set of rc lander retracts on my CMP P-51....and they wont lift the weight of my vq struts and 3" robart tires.....what retacts are you using, and do they lift the weight of the strut and tire ok? link to retracts????
corsair nut is offline Find More Posts by corsair nut
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:15 PM
Go Sabres!
Laurel, MD
Joined Aug 2004
822 Posts
Awesome job! I'm looking to get some retracts and I am wondering if these are the ones you used:
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-90-ere...5kg-2-pcs.html
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-91-ere...5kg-2-pcs.html

If so I understand they don't come with struts and they take a 5mm shaft. Where did you get your struts?

Thanks
Chris
savall21 is offline Find More Posts by savall21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Aerial Video of Cincinnati Ohio
Old Jun 29, 2011, 04:51 PM
Joined Feb 2010
669 Posts
Thanks for this detailed guide!!
guyst is online now Find More Posts by guyst