HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 18, 2010, 01:34 PM
Family, wind, snow & fun
Osburn Idaho
Joined May 2006
445 Posts
Help!
VS sailplanes VMax

In the process of rebuilding mine and need to realign the tailboom. I need measurements (from a REAL VMax) using the hatch lip as the zero plane, measured down to the top of the cam PIVOT rod and top of wingrod TUBE... now the difficult part! Extend that zero plane back to give me a verticle measurement down to either the top of the tailboom between one of the Vtail rods or down to where the Vtail rods intersect the tailboom (whichever would be easier).

I think the Xica fuse is the same except for the tailgroup so maybe the same measurements would work for the rods and maybe measure down to the bottom of the tailboom right where the stinger connects? Maybe?

Thanks.
Mtntop is offline Find More Posts by Mtntop
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:13 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
Can't you just download the free plans from slopeflyer.com? (sorry if there's an issue I don't understand)
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:33 PM
Family, wind, snow & fun
Osburn Idaho
Joined May 2006
445 Posts
I dont know how well the plans corelate to the two Vtail rods incidence to wingrod/cam pivot rod. I've seen repairs where afterwards when rolling fast the tail end will spin outside of the roll, where before they were rock solid down the center of the fuse. I have my original plans and the materials ready and a jig half way set up... I just need these measurements to get it right.
Also the originals were not exactly a smooth, flowing, symetrical profile from left to right and just kinda wavy in general down the boom area.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:34 PM
Biting ankles since '53
No Pants Island
Joined Feb 2007
2,944 Posts
See? I'm a newb and don't know this twisty stuff yet. Getting there though.
mr_editor is offline Find More Posts by mr_editor
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:47 PM
Family, wind, snow & fun
Osburn Idaho
Joined May 2006
445 Posts
No prob, I figured someone would bring that up anyways TWFs are addictive.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:06 AM
Yes, ALL your money...
A hut in the woods in Oregon
Joined Jan 2003
2,482 Posts
tie the tail on straight

Maybe this will help.
Lots of variables if we measure to features other than the fuse itself.
You want to match the original line so your tail will be in line w/fuse as before, right?
The Xica and Vmax fuselages are the same back to where the fin starts. I took some measurements from my Xica fuse.

To be honest, all my V-tail planes got a little fishy at one speed or another TWF or not. It's sort of the nature of the beast.

WinchDoc
winchdoc is online now Find More Posts by winchdoc