Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by ToxicToast, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:41 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Discussion
Hodge and Podge

Skyburners Su-37 Terminator profile. This plane is a blast. Cobras and 360 flat spins due to the elevator in the prop-wash with some extreme throws (+/-80 deg). Opens up nicely with 3S 1550 30c on a Grayson Super MegaJet combo. Highly recommended!

The 6mm Depron is milled on a Phlatprinter MK2. The tab-in-slot construction makes it snap together easily. Utilizing pocket milling eliminates the need for unsightly tab holes in the upper deck of the fuse.

Strange brownout on AR6000:

Already repaired and with a dozen more flights on it. Still never identified why the brownout occurred or why it hasn't happened again.
ToxicToast is offline Find More Posts by ToxicToast
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:34 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Bummer about the crash, I subed

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:58 PM
Someone is going to get wet...
The Mitt
Joined Oct 2007
989 Posts
ToxicToast... Built 2 of these by hand. Mine is a TOMHE design... The first one lasted over a year until it got to heavy... Built the second one and it flies better than the first one ever did! I was using the SMJ V2 until it threw a magnet so it now has a Slightly smaller KV motor on it. Love how this one flies... I have fully functional canards tied in mechanically to the ailerons and the the ailerons mixed to the elevator, also has rudders. Turns on a dime and gives 9 cents back in change...
Mudman1959

SU-37 #2.wmv (8 min 9 sec)

SU-37 Straight up....MOV (0 min 37 sec)
mudman1959 is offline Find More Posts by mudman1959
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by mudman1959; Sep 18, 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:32 PM
Were..is..my..Super..Suit ..
United States, NE, Papillion
Joined Sep 2009
2,510 Posts
Awesome flying I subed to you to

j3tman,
j3tman is offline Find More Posts by j3tman
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:14 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Cheers! The Su37 is my design that I haven't released. I've been flying them for a while now and have the design pretty dialed in. Still negotiating some ballooning on throttle up which is past the part of tuning the thrust angle.

Thanks for sharing your flights. Yep, straight vertical launches from mine as well. Climbs till its a speck. SWEET!

I'll post some video soon...
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:17 PM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
I did active canards on a Eurofighter design I did a while back. Brilliant action from that plane, very stable at really high AOAs. Thought about doing it without sacrificing the 'look' of the 37, I could see perhaps mixed single servo working pretty well on this plane. Have to give it a go soon, thanks for the suggestion.

YAP Eurofighter RC Pusher Jet (8 min 12 sec)
Last edited by ToxicToast; Sep 18, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:51 AM
Someone is going to get wet...
The Mitt
Joined Oct 2007
989 Posts
TT... Funny... My first plane with active canards was a Eurofighter. I guess Great minds think alike. I used flexible control rods from the ailerons to the cross side canard. Works great for the roll portion, but to get the pitch your ailerons have to be mixed to the elevator and move in the same direction it does. I did my flap switch as a 30% flap down angle and this allows the canards to kick tip down giving me better control at the higher angle of attacks. I also use the dual rates for landing so as not to munch it in... Most of the time I leave them in the high rate mode... More fun! Your SU-37 looks good! Wish I had a Phlatprinter... Are you going to sell yours as kits or just release the codes for the Phlatprinter? Your paint scheme... you had made mention of after the crash replacing the decals... Do you have these available for purchase? Mudman1959
mudman1959 is offline Find More Posts by mudman1959
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The "Bloody Wonder"
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:18 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
No plans to 'kit' them. I've been selling them to locals mostly for the cost of foam and cut time. I don't have enough hobby time as it is, let alone to properly support a business. Besides, there's so many cheap ARF options that are of such incredibly high quality, unless you really offer something unique, I think it would be difficult to make a living out of this hobby.

Here's a pic of my old Eufi canard system. Worked well and was lightweight and simple.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:10 PM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Toxic Toast - Glad to see some pics and videos of these SU-37's! I feel fortunate to have met you recently and bought one of your foam templates. I've killed about 4 hours this week gluing and attached my equipment to the plane. Just need to paint and maiden this bad boy!

Thought you guys might like the following link I found recently. It has some cool history on the SU-35's and SU-37's in existence, including full paint schematics if you click on the profile images. I might have to go with the Russian Knights aerobatic team colors...
http://www.mars.slupsk.pl/fort/sukhoi/su-30-ru-m.htm

I'll post some pictures and video of my new Toxic Toast SU-37 within the week!

Cheers,

Pedar
pbruce09 is offline Find More Posts by pbruce09
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:26 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,551 Posts
Hey man! Don't forget to bring me a kit next time we are out at "Mac Field"! We are planning on flying on Saturday! Shoot me a PM if you can make it!
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:33 AM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Just got done with my hack paint job tonight. Now for the maiden flight. TT, I'd love to get this in the air with your plane for some shots. Maybe soon at the Mac Field with bighead93!
Last edited by pbruce09; Sep 23, 2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:18 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
I'll be there! That looks sexy, Pedar!
Old Sep 23, 2010, 08:22 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Here's a set of decals I made for mine, feel free to plunder.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:10 AM
USA, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2010
160 Posts
Maiden Flight

Wow...
I had about 45 minutes to go fly this plane today while our little squirt was napping. I hit the local soccer field with my neighbor and got some footage too. TT - this thing is an absolute ROCKET! Other than still tweaking with the cg, I think I completely forgot to setup any exponential on the ailerons too. Also, I think you mentioned something about the motor needing to be mounted at an angle? I didn't do that at all. Remind me of your setup on the motor and any expo %'s when you have a chance. I had a blast flying this thing and can't wait to hit the sky again soon!

Maiden Flight...shakin' in my flip flops
Skyburners SU-37 Terminator - maiden flight at the soccer field (3 min 7 sec)

Just found this sweet video of you (TT) flying your SU-37 recently. I aspire to fly mine with this control!
Skyburners SU-37 Terminator - low flyby at Mac Field (0 min 21 sec)

Thanks again for the sweet depron kit!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:09 AM
Phlathead
Roseville, CA
Joined Aug 2006
624 Posts
Nice maiden! You'll get the hang of the speed and handling real quick. It looks as if you might be a tad tail heavy and a bit over-controlled. Both things can be fixed pretty easily after a few flights.

I run about 30% expo on low rates and ~45 on high rates. My elevator travels about 80 degrees (YES, 80!) on the high rates, and I do have a mix that helps manage ballooning with a little (~2% down elevator) mixed to the throttle on a switch. Also, I've got enough down thrust in the motor (means the plane of the front of the motor is lower than the back where the prop is). I'll be honest, I've played with thrust angles quite a bit with this plane and it still seems to have a throttle-coupled climbing issue. I think it has to do with the huge v-stabs, and compression of the air into the faux-intakes.

Looking forward to seeing you out at the field!