SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:26 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,865 Posts
Discussion
Best CA glue?

I'm going to build a balsa plane this winter, and I'm curious if anyone has used the "Murcury" CA brand, and if they think its better or worse than Zap and the Pacer products.

Thanks,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:55 AM
Challenge is rewarding
San Diego, CA
Joined Aug 2004
5,528 Posts
I love Murcury stuff. I however don't think CA is ever better than another brand. Bottles are better, and CA can be fresher.
djklein21 is offline Find More Posts by djklein21
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:32 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,580 Posts
Only 2 or 3 commercial manufactures of CA, and hobby use is a pretty minor player in the marketplace. The differences I have seen are due to the repackager adn how much care they take.

That said, I have used the Mercury line at times and find it to be excellent.

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Sep 18, 2010, 01:22 PM
Huntington Beach
Joined Aug 2000
728 Posts
I don't use much CA in my builds, but have found freshness is key; freshness and applicator.

I was in a bind once during a build and went to the hardware store for some CA. I got Lock-Tite brand and it worked as good as any others that I've used.
Buran is online now Find More Posts by Buran
Old Sep 18, 2010, 01:27 PM
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jan 2008
119 Posts
I have used both brands and here is South Africa the Mercury is far better value for money than the ZAP. Personally I think there is no difference in quality between the two CA's.
snarf007 is offline Find More Posts by snarf007
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:59 PM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,146 Posts
As others have said, just about any CA will work- even SuperGlue. I like the Mercury stuff because the nozzles on the bottles are very resistant to clogging.

Rick
2400RDR is online now Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Sep 18, 2010, 06:34 PM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by target View Post
I'm going to build a balsa plane this winter,

Thanks,
Target
Have you got a white hat to go with it too?

Why use CA? It stinks, it's bad for your health and is hard to clean up. White wood glue doesn't dry as fast, but spills are easy to deal with, your wife won't spend all day complaining about the smell and you won't end up with a massive headache.

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,865 Posts
I know, I know... I don't use CA much anymore for balsa abshing either; hence my question....

Steve-
My wife NEVER complains about smells; I'm in a separate house that my shop is in. I'm not that patient, so CA is the way to go for me. Plus I think the way the thin stuff wicks into tight joints is an attribute....
Thanks for the input from the others... I'll see how hard it is to get the Mercury brand and default to the Pacer products.

R,
Target
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:59 PM
agony sweetns the victory
Any Flying Field Across America
Joined Jul 2005
3,515 Posts
a little tip: go buy a small piece of tupperware tall enough to hold the bottles of CA upright (or mostly so). Then put a couple of those silica gel water absorbing packets that you find in shoe boxes in the tupperware, and the CA will last much much longer.
atjurhs is offline Find More Posts by atjurhs
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:02 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,865 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines, but lower tech, more ghetto, with just a ziplock bag.

Thanks, bud.

Target
Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:44 AM
Jim C Patrick
Shenandoah County
Joined Jan 2008
883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by atjurhs View Post
a little tip: go buy a small piece of tupperware tall enough to hold the bottles of CA upright (or mostly so). Then put a couple of those silica gel water absorbing packets that you find in shoe boxes in the tupperware, and the CA will last much much longer.
The advice about silica gel is great, but the photo shows CA accelerator stored inside the box along with the CA glue. Insta-Set® —the type of accelerator shown— says right on the label " STORE AWAY FROM CA'S " It's printed on that middle silver band on the back.

Just the vapors or smell from these accelerators starts cyanoacrylics' hardening process, and having a bottle next to a bottle of CA will shorten the glue's shelf-life. Since accelerators don't (seem to) go bad even after years in temperature extremes, you can just leave the Insta-Set® outside the box on the shelf by itself.
jcpatrick is offline Find More Posts by jcpatrick
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:14 AM
Dragons, WindMills, all Same
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
4,389 Posts
The Best does cost more;
Loctite
Mcmaster Carr
http://www.mcmaster.com/#loctite-super-glue/=8wxq5x

I remeber when an old friend and I were making Mut DLG's from parts. I used normal hobby grade CA and he used the high grade Loctite for bonding the teflon tubes to the CF booms. His were much stronger and never came off and with less prep.

And yes it is a big no-no to store the accelerator with the CA.

Also, CA is an Anerobic, or without O2. The containers of CA allow air to pass within the walls but not the CA. So if one were to store their CA in a small airtight container, what could happen when the O2 runs out?

Personally I only buy enough to last a couple of months or so. If I am not using much then I will buy a smaller and much more expensive per Oz but really does save a lot of money in avoiding waste from a larger unit that gells up and is no longer valid.

IMnsHO

Jared
jcstalls is online now Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:18 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,865 Posts
That's very interesting, Jared.
I do always buy the smallest bottle of CA I can find.

R,
Target
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:20 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,865 Posts
And storing the accelerator away from the glue is obviously a good idea, one not to be overlooked.
It can have it's own separate ziplock bag!

R,
Target
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:26 PM
Joined Oct 2004
75 Posts
store it in the fridge just remember to take it out and get it to room temp. My ca is about 2 yrs old and still working, just remeber to put it back in the fridge.
slims is offline Find More Posts by slims