HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:23 PM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
New Product
Synchronized GPS and Video/Image data logging for Aerial Videography and Photography.

Dear all,

I could not find a better area to post this article, hence please forgive me if this section is not the best choice

I have been working on a "rc helicopter flight video & data logger" project over the past two years and I finally got to the stage of near completion of the project.

Basically what we did is to combine high resolution video and image capturing with various synchronized data logging options, such as GPS position tracking or other environmental data such as temperature, flight height or motor rpm just to name some. But the interesting part is that all these collected data are synchronized with the video data and stored in one file which is saved onto an SD card.

To get some idea what this is all about just check out the latest video I uploaded onto YouTube or follow on old thread on Helifreak.Com where I have started a thread about this topic some month back in March this year.

RC Logger Viewer 1.5 Introduction. (12 min 49 sec) (12 min 49 sec)

Cheers,
MatLi.

- Align Trex 450 SEv2 / Sport / Pro
- Mikado Logo 400 vbar
- My YouTube Heli Log | Find me on Facebook
- My personal Domain (German)
RCLogger.Com is offline Find More Posts by RCLogger.Com
Last edited by RCLogger.Com; Sep 18, 2010 at 12:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:43 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Enjoyable tutorial, nicely put together.

So with regards to the Hardware itself (that is essentially logging GPS + Temp sensors), are all these features combined onto one PCB, or as individual hardware modules that have to be purchased seperately?

Also, how does ones existing Video gear connect to your data logging hardware mounted on the Heli?
Or do you actually supply the video gear that works with the data logging module(s) too?

From what I can see, this essentially appears to be a very basic flight logger (similar concept to commercial OSD's / Data Recorders), however those come PACKED with masses of cool features.

All features/data logged by yours, can only be viewed and manipulated within your own software, we see in the video, is this correct?
For example, what if I wanted to export the GPS track of my flight from your software, to a kml file, is that possible?

Im obviously interested to learn more about your product, hence the additional questions, that didnt appear to be stated in the Tutorial.
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:15 AM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
Hi SkyEyes!

Thanks for your feedback. I have put together some answers for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyEyes View Post
Enjoyable tutorial, nicely put together.

So with regards to the Hardware itself (that is essentially logging GPS + Temp sensors), are all these features combined onto one PCB, or as individual hardware modules that have to be purchased seperately?
The main unit is an HD camera with an robust light weight housing and a 800 mAh battery included. The main unit has a data port as well as a trigger port. The data port allows to connect external modules. The trigger port can be used to power the main unit and external modules via the receiver and of course allow manual triggering if needed (I actually like the triggering part very much).

The add-on modules are all separated from the main unit, for a simple reason, first of all it will allow the user to just mount what is needed onto the helicopter or airplane, since weight is a concern to most users. So to say, if a user just needs to capture some crystal clear HD still image or video material he will not need to "drag around" the system sensor.

But yes, I understand your concern, and thats why we packed as much as possible into each add-on module, but always keeping size and weight in mind, because size does matter.

There are currently three add-on modules available and the most exciting 4th module is about to be released.

Quote:
Also, how does ones existing Video gear connect to your data logging hardware mounted on the Heli?
Or do you actually supply the video gear that works with the data logging module(s) too?
Yes, you will need the main unit in any case. Other video gear cant be used because such gear does not have a common communication protocol nor standard data port, hence we had no other choice but to develop our own HD vibration fee but yet light weight robust camera.

Our approach always was -> Synchronizing data with image or video in real time and not just creating another boring camera or data logger.

Quote:
From what I can see, this essentially appears to be a very basic flight logger (similar concept to commercial OSD's / Data Recorders), however those come PACKED with masses of cool features.
I believe our approach is "old" and "new", because we combine logging and HD video capturing into one simple solution and I sincerely believe the free software we provide stands out from the rest. Our list of upcoming features is still long and in fact, just after releasing the video today I already got a new updated version on my desk. If I feel lucky I might just record another new tutorial tomorrow and try to show you even more of what can be done.

Quote:
All features/data logged by yours, can only be viewed and manipulated within your own software, we see in the video, is this correct?
For example, what if I wanted to export the GPS track of my flight from your software, to a kml file, is that possible?
Yes, export is already possible. Currently we support .TXT and .CSV export but KML is top of the list and will make it into one of the next 1.5 betas. I will share this information as soon as it is available. And our software (which is 100% free) will support some GARMIN devices too. As soon we are ready with this feature GARMIN owners with compatible devices can enjoy this software completely free including ad free.

There are some exciting features coming up and if you allow me too I will continue to share them here just as I have done it and will continue to do it over at Helifreak.Com.

Quote:
Im obviously interested to learn more about your product, hence the additional questions, that didnt appear to be stated in the Tutorial.

Feedback, questions, concerns - well - this is what makes a product better and delivers what the community actually wants and not just what we think it may need. So just keep them coming and don't you worry about my time to answer them

Cheers,
MatLi.

- Mikado Logo 400 vbar
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:57 PM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
Latest beta release video explaining new graph features + new field test results:

Old Oct 02, 2010, 07:50 AM
Joined Sep 2010
30 Posts
Hello,
You should contact Peter Wimmer, to perhaps access and integrate the "stereoscopic player" http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx. Integration using a left and right video stream would allow for on-screen stereoscopic playback, or display of an image stereo model. This would be extremely useful for forestry applications. I am currently trying to find a decent logger interface, and I am very impressed with what you have achieved so far. Thank you. Can we start a dialogue around working with your application in forestry applications?
Gerard.
PreciseEco is offline Find More Posts by PreciseEco
Old Oct 02, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciseEco View Post
Hello,
You should contact Peter Wimmer, to perhaps access and integrate the "stereoscopic player" http://www.3dtv.at/Index_en.aspx. Integration using a left and right video stream would allow for on-screen stereoscopic playback, or display of an image stereo model. This would be extremely useful for forestry applications. I am currently trying to find a decent logger interface, and I am very impressed with what you have achieved so far. Thank you. Can we start a dialogue around working with your application in forestry applications?
Gerard.
Hi and thanks for your feedback. Sure why not look into various possible applications - specific sensor requirements etc. We will also try to get in touch with Peter as per your suggestion.

Just share your thoughts and we will see how we could implement such ideas.

- Mikado Logo 400 vbar
Old Oct 02, 2010, 10:22 AM
what goes up must be good
Joined Feb 2009
61 Posts
wow this looks really interesting, i may have to get this. interesting to compare the camera view with the first person, google earth "virtual view".

incedentally, what camera is that? looks like a flycamone2 but isn't????
onelastflight is offline Find More Posts by onelastflight
Old Oct 02, 2010, 06:19 PM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
Yes, I also like the combination between Google Earth 3D view and the actual video view. Its fun to play and try around with it.

No, the camera is not the "FlycamOne". In some way it looks similar in its shape, but the "inside" is what counts This camera "The RC Logger" is HD ready and has the inbuilt data-bus collecting and writing the data onto the SD card.

The camera has an input connector where the various sensor add-on modules can be connected together in a serial bus. Video is recorded by default in HD and the data files (independently for each add-on module) are stored together on the SD card.

I attached an imgage with the "camera ship" using a prototype camera mount for 450 helicopters. This was used during the test flight. We are going to optimize its construction, material and weight now and provide an updated video.

As you can see from the picture, there are two sensor modules mounted in front and the back of the mount and the RC Logger is connected to a servo, controlling the auto triggering as well as the lens position.

Details about the system at RCLogger.Com

- Mikado Logo 400 vbar
Old Oct 03, 2010, 04:28 AM
Joined Oct 2008
118 Posts
What about a quality stills camera module with a good lens and minimum 8Mp output?
datapolo is offline Find More Posts by datapolo
Old Oct 06, 2010, 05:01 AM
Reinventing Innovation.
Hong Kong
Joined Mar 2009
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datapolo View Post
What about a quality stills camera module with a good lens and minimum 8Mp output?
Hi!

The current version supports 1600 x 1200 pixel in still image mode. We will be releasing a 2nd generation late 2011 and will consider to look into increasing the still image number of pixels.

Regards,
MatLi.
MatLi is online now Find More Posts by MatLi
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2010, 06:46 AM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
New "Add-On Module" photos posted at http://www.facebook.com/pages/RC-Logger/158020790889291

Regards,
MatLi.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 12:27 AM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
Dear all,

I have some news for you today, for those who want to test the latest beta version of our RC logger Viewer 1.5 Beta (Release 101016). We have uploaded three files for you as following:

/BETA_SOFTWARE/RCLoggerViewer-V1.5-beta-101016.zip
/SAMPLE_DATA/field-test-data-for-beta1.5-101016.zip
/TUTORIAL/rc-logger-viewer-1.5-5-intro.wmv (also to be found at our vimeo and facebook pages)

To access these 3 files go to ftp://rclogger.com/101016

User: rclogger
Pass: rclogger

- Make sure you have at least version 1.4d full installer installed before you execute the beta version, otherwise you may have required codec files missing!

- Extract the beta software into a folder as you prefer but keep the folder structure intact. DO NOT overwrite your existing installed version!

- Extract the field-test-data-for-beta1.5-101016.zip in any folder you like (all files within this zip file must be located in the same folder). This file includes data of all three sensors which are now ready (GPS, Environmental and System Module).

- Execute the RCLoggerViewer.exe located inside the newly created folder where you have extracted the beta files.

- Click on "File -> "Import Video" and load the video and data files which are located inside the folder where you previously extracted the field-test data.

You are ready to test the new features! Enjoy!

Note: This is a beta release. It may only work for a limited time. Please read the software disclaimer located inside the FTP server or on RCLogger.Com. Let me know if you need any further help.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/RC-Logger/158020790889291

- Mikado Logo 400 vbar
Old Nov 25, 2010, 06:50 AM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
Version 1.5.2 has been released - Enjoy!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/RC-Logger/158020790889291

- Mikado Logo 400 vbar
Old Apr 01, 2011, 08:28 PM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
RC Logger Pro revealed! Now with AV-Out + 30fps Video Mode and 5 Mega Photo Mode!

Its finally here and ready for field-testing today. The new RC Logger Pro with AV-Out and other cool enhancements including an IR port to remote control the RC Logger Pro via infrared remote control.

The RC Logger Pro now records at 30fps with optimized image/video performance. Photo mode now supports astonishing 5 Mega Pixel. We are getting excited to test the 5.8 GHz video transmission this coming Monday! Connect up-to 8 external telemetry modules at the same time.

Stay tuned for our first video release of the new version on our Facebook page. Work is still in progress but we are getting closer to releasing the product with a number of firmware upgrades and video recording capabilities.

-MatLi!
Old Jul 15, 2011, 05:25 AM
Hong Kong, China
Joined Sep 2010
51 Posts
RC Logger PRO video! Test flight with first pre-release firmware "T12"

This is the first video we are releasing with the "almost" final firmware version of RC Logger PRO!

The camera responds very fast to white / dark backgrounds.
Image is stable and free of vibration. There is virtually no vibration even in hover flight.
Sound and color will be adjusted with next firmware release. This is a raw uncut video footage.

RC Logger PRO, Test flight, FWT 12, 9th July 2011. (9 min 40 sec)

During this test the RC Logger PRO was secured with one cable tie and Velcro tape.

- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/rclogger
- Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/rclogger
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/rclogger
Last edited by RCLogger.Com; Jul 15, 2011 at 05:48 AM.