HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:58 PM
United States, GA, Snellville
Joined Nov 2005
853 Posts
Discussion
Hobby lobby F9F Panther EPO Jet Receiver Ready ARF

hey guys guess what i just saw in my email, a EPO F9F Panther.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f9f_panth...derseptember10
FROM HL SITE:
F9F Panther EPO Jet Receiver Ready ARF

The Grumman F9F Panther saw extensive combat in the Korean War flying over 78,000 sorties. It was one of the U.S. Navy's first successful carrier-based jet aircraft. They remained in front line service until 1958.

Our F9F Panther has a 27" wingspan and is 28-3/4" long with a 19.5 oz. flying weight. This receiver-ready, EPO jet is pre-painted and assembles in about an hour. Designed for simple everyday flying, the model is hand launched and lands on its belly or can be used with the optional landing gear (sold separately HLI6916). Included is a 64mm ducted fan with a 4300Kv Outrunner brushless motor and 30 amp controller with BEC. A 1600mAh 3-cell Lipo battery supplies power with genuine Deans Ultra connectors. Three 9-gram servos are pre-installed and ready to plug into your radio equipment (a minimum of 3 channels are required).

The large battery hatch is held in place by magnets, making battery swaps quick and easy. The F9F has plenty of power for hand launching and handles easily with a solid feel in the air. The roll rate is crisp and the speed range will satisfy both intermediate and advanced pilots. Landings are low anxiety events due to the slow approach speed and the tough airframe.

F9F Panther Highlights:
64mm EDF
4300Kv outrunner brushless motor
3-cell, 11.1V, 1600 mAh 20C LiPo battery with genuine Deans Ultra connector
30A speed control with BEC and genuine Deans Ultra connector
3 - 9 gram servos
Wing reinforced with 3mm carbon tube
Optional landing gear with nose wheel steering (HLI6916)

Looks like a winner to me.
smasher41 is offline Find More Posts by smasher41
Last edited by smasher41; Sep 18, 2010 at 12:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:12 PM
United States, VA, Woodbridge
Joined May 2009
1,158 Posts
Looks pretty cool. Could make a nice home for a leftover Squall fan/motor if it's available as an AF.
kevinb120 is offline Find More Posts by kevinb120
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:21 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
Just checked my email this morning and saw H-L's email on this jet. Rushed to start a thread but was beaten to it

I was really on the edge with this line's F-86 and Mig-15 and have been waiting for JPower to release the 50mm version so this is another option. Then again, I can get 2 JPower (airframe+fan+motor) for the price of one of these with similar set up...

The paint scheme on this one is pretty cool. It'll come down to which ever one has a better paint scheme probably.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Sep 18, 2010, 12:59 PM
The Earth got in the way!
United States, OH, Canal Winchester
Joined Feb 2007
6,294 Posts
I wanted to start this thread last night but, I had to many Bud Lights.
kuczy is offline Find More Posts by kuczy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 92" Edge
Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:07 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,796 Posts
I would have started it but I was busy checking in at a Holiday Inn.

ME likey! A very nice candidate for a hotter power system.
Bajora is offline Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2010, 03:11 PM
Joined Nov 2005
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora View Post
I would have started it but I was busy checking in at a Holiday Inn.

ME likey! A very nice candidate for a hotter power system.
Agreed, im thinking a 2815 motor 4800kv on 3 cell or a 3500kv motor with a a smaller 4 cell pack. Either should be quite fun

I'm thinking the airframe only will be listed shortly after the first batch arrive and follow the trend of $89.99
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:13 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Glad to see it's back at HL although I doubt it is EPO. This plane is EPS. Anyway, it is good HL finally figured out it needed to buy the V2 with the 4300 KV outrunner and the 30A ESC. V1 with the crispy critter inrunner and 25 amp esc was always on the ragged edge of melting the fan from the inrunner heating up too much.

You can easily open up the battery box and use a 2200 3s. It also helps to add some CF to the wings and horizontal stab. The EPS is very easy to break on the early version and EPO will take a set if it sits around and every time you fly you have to re-trim it.
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 18, 2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:40 PM
Joined Nov 2005
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
Glad to see it's back at HL although I doubt it is EPO. This plane is EPS. Anyway, it is good HL finally figured out it needed to buy the V2 with the 4300 KV outrunner and the 30A ESC. V1 with the crispy critter inrunner and 25 amp esc was always on the ragged edge of melting the fan from the inrunner heating up too much.

You can easily open up the battery box and use a 2200 3s. It also helps to add some CF to the wings and horizontal stab. The EPS is very easy to break on the early version and EPO will take a set if it sits around and every time you fly you have to re-trim it.
Prof100, Im positive this is a different Jet, HL is carrying the Freewing line and this is the newest addition. I'm betting my $119.99 This ain't no starmax GARBAGE.
notice the battery hatch on top, and the tubes for wire rods to the split elevator ( servo most likely on a plywood mounting tray) Also the Ducting is part of the fusalage and not the wing.

After getting to know my HL mig 15 it flies nice, but the F9F is one of those "gotta have" jets for me. Only thing that would top this is a F9 Cougar with the swept wings.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:59 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post
Prof100, Im positive this is a different Jet, HL is carrying the Freewing line and this is the newest addition. I'm betting my $119.99 This ain't no starmax GARBAGE.
notice the battery hatch on top, and the tubes for wire rods to the split elevator ( servo most likely on a plywood mounting tray) Also the Ducting is part of the fusalage and not the wing.

After getting to know my HL mig 15 it flies nice, but the F9F is one of those "gotta have" jets for me. Only thing that would top this is a F9 Cougar with the swept wings.
You are right, it is a FREEWING. It's a good package except for the plywood tray that breaks on less than gracious landings. I am pleased they have added in CF or are they going to make that a running change like they did on the F86.

Very cool. I have the HL / Freewing F86 and the Starmax Panther, the Panther is a better flyer from ease of launch to landings.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Sep 18, 2010 at 10:20 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:28 PM
Joined Nov 2005
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof100 View Post
You are right, it is a FREEWING. It's a good package except for the plywood tray that breaks on less than gracious landings. I am pleased they have added in CF or are they going to make that a running change like they did on the F86.

Very cool. I have the HL / Freewing F86 and the Starmax Panther, the Panther is a better flyer from ease of launch to landings.
I cant say I have experience with the saber, but the Mig-15 once trimmed out and balanced right flies very well. and the EPO is super durable. My brother crashed his so many times and after a bit of glue here and there ( and the plywood tray yes) he slapped some new paint on it and from a few feet away I have a hard time telling his beater from mine, which is in almost perfect shape.

Sorry, didnt mean to seem offensive, but I just am so tired of the 1/2 though out crap starmax produces and somehow sells.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 10:48 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher41 View Post
I cant say I have experience with the saber, but the Mig-15 once trimmed out and balanced right flies very well. and the EPO is super durable. My brother crashed his so many times and after a bit of glue here and there ( and the plywood tray yes) he slapped some new paint on it and from a few feet away I have a hard time telling his beater from mine, which is in almost perfect shape.

Sorry, didnt mean to seem offensive, but I just am so tired of the 1/2 though out crap starmax produces and somehow sells.
The Starmax F9F is fine. I do prefer the top loading battery on the Freewing planes. Why aren't all planes that way?

I have one more NIB Starmax / Blitz RC Panther which has the same basic power plant. While I would like another Panther I think 3 of them is pushing it. The Starmax Panther has a thinner wing than the F86 so it flies a bit faster. I like EPO too but ti does need CF so it doesn't take a set or warp when stored.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:40 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
I just don't trust lipo hatch on the bottom. Guy at my field had his lipo bail out mid flight resulting in totaled plane.

I guess Freewing is doing the Korean war series. I'm not much of a historian on this period. What other jets were in action during this period?
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Sep 18, 2010, 11:54 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
I just don't trust lipo hatch on the bottom. Guy at my field had his lipo bail out mid flight resulting in totaled plane.

I guess Freewing is doing the Korean war series. I'm not much of a historian on this period. What other jets were in action during this period?
Hatch on bottom or hatch on top you should always add velcro to the battery and add a velcro battery strap. Although the bottom hatch does have gravity working against you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:01 AM
Oneonta Alabama
Joined Aug 2010
898 Posts
Here is a pic of my PC lander Panther and the battery hatch is on top.
keith b is offline Find More Posts by keith b
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:26 AM
Hold my Beer and watch this!
USA, MA, Brockton
Joined Sep 2007
291 Posts
I saw this jet flying at the neat fair yesterday. I was impressed by it's speed in the air, and by how well it floated in for a landing with no power. it just kept floating down the runway. I stopped by the Hobby Lobby tent a little later to check it out. Light and well built. I am ordering one tomorrow
silent_guru is offline Find More Posts by silent_guru