HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2010, 02:54 PM
Why kamikaze pilot wear helmet
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Jul 2010
1,098 Posts
Discussion
.60 size war birds, wich flys the best?

Im looking at getting a big .60 war bird, Im currently flying a parkzone Corsair, and I love it!

I have a big 55in foame spitfire, that dose not love me as much as I love it. LOL

So lets hear it, Im thinking Corsair, Love the look, and seems stable in foam, but what about balsa?

Thanks mIke
mikes68charger is offline Find More Posts by mikes68charger
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:05 PM
WarClouds Online Dogfights
Joined Jan 2008
262 Posts
I presume you're looking for a fuel warbird, given that you posed the question here. But if you're possibly going after a bigger electric plane, you might want to consider the H&M performance corsair. They are out of business now, but the kits still appear in the listings from time to time. I converted mine to glow, but I have a second one NIB that I intend to sell off at some point. Let me know if you're interested in it. The kit comes with a nice set of mechanical retracts preinstalled. I fly from grass without problems.

Also, at a higher cost and current availability, is the very similar hangar-9 corsair.
IL2windhawk is offline Find More Posts by IL2windhawk
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:03 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes68charger View Post
Im looking at getting a big .60 war bird, Im currently flying a parkzone Corsair, and I love it!

I have a big 55in foame spitfire, that dose not love me as much as I love it. LOL

So lets hear it, Im thinking Corsair, Love the look, and seems stable in foam, but what about balsa?

Thanks mIke
My 2c would be Hangar 9, One thing that you might want to consider is parts especially the cowl on warbirds.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:30 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
8,487 Posts
Hanger 9 is the easiest to fly , and so is the new 55" airfield line
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:34 AM
Joined Jul 2010
1,098 Posts
I think i just got a great deal on a .60 Top Flite Corsair. It is already put togeather, and he fiberglassed/primered the whole body to make her slick! He has a Serria Air Rotating Retrac set up, futaba servios, Flaps installed, for $300

Im excited, Now I need to pick a power plant. I have a sweet running .91 ASP 2 stroke, that sounds good with a pitts muffler. But I was told to use a 4 stroke, But except for the sound Im still trying to find out why spend $200 more for a 4 stroke vs a 2 stroke.

Dose anyone know what size gas motor would work with this plane?

Thanks Mike
Old Sep 18, 2010, 02:41 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Please be aware that a TF .60 size Corsair that has been fiberglassed is going to be a lot heavier then any hangar 9 arf corsair. The wingloading is going to be pretty high.
Ur new plane is going to be a handful to fly compared to the PZ corsair and even more so relative to teh 55" foamy Spitfire.
It wont float in for landing, will more then likely need to be landed pretty fast and will stall and drop a wing rather abruptly without much warning...even with flaps.

If you've never flown anything larger then that foamy Spitfire....I highly recommend u shelve that TF corsair until you get adequate stick time on something not made of foam.
Im not being mean here at all. Im trying to save ur plane from disaster.

The H&M or the Hangar 9 corsair would have been a much better move.
Dont get me wrong...$300 for the TF Corsair with servos and retracts sounds like an awesome deal....but then...why is he selling it so cheap? The gear itself would cost $250.

Now as far as 4 stroke over a 2 stroke....yes the sound obviously, but a 4 stroke generally can spin a much larger prop because it has more torque, especially if one is wanting to use a scaleish 3 or 4 blade prop. But at the same time, wont rev up as high rpm wise.....so there is a trade off. If you want all out speed then a 2 stroke is better....but if you want a larger prop to create more air movement.....advantage for slower flight such like landings....then a 4 stroke is better IMO.
Also..you can usually cowl a 4stroke better then a 2 stroke since 2 strokes, even with a pitts muffler use much larger mufflers then a 4 stroke needs.

Your .91 2stroke example would be the same basic power output of a 1.25 4 stroke and should be fine power wise.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:40 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1,098 Posts
Thanks for the input that is what I was looking for. I think I'm going to make it work. And get a nice 1.20 4 stroke or gas motor so I don't have to add dead weight up front.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 05:10 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,487 Posts
Kahlog is giving you great advice , there are two versions of each Top Flight warbird , Gold edition and orinal redbox/yellow box .Dont know witch one you have but the gold will handle the wing loading better then the red box /yellow but the red box is typically easier to fly (when built light ).
The ASP /magnum 4 strokes are very budget minded but ... you will tinker forever with them , OS and Saito are much more reliable but more expensive .

Remember wiing loading is one of the insights to knowing how a plane will fly --that is why the original Hanger 9 warbirds fly like sport planes yet look like warbirds .
Many a pilot crashed the new Hanger 9 mustang because they thought it would fly like the original ---not the case , just because they look the same --one is a sport plane with a warbird look , one is a warbird with a warbird look and feel in the air
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:19 PM
Joined Jul 2010
1,098 Posts
OK, so if I want to keep things light, running my .91 ASP 2 stoke with tons of power, and I have yet to have any issues, wouldn't be to bad? It fly my 540T Edge great, but this plane is a little heavier, and not so slick in the air.

Thanks
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:08 PM
Ldm
Joined Jun 2006
8,487 Posts
yes , keep it light , that is key
Old Oct 10, 2010, 03:23 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,562 Posts
Have you flown the TF Corsair yet? Waiting on a report...
Mine is built heavy, around 11 lbs, and flies just fine. It really has a lot of lift with the flaps down. Just keep the engine running your landing approach and don't throttle back until your wheels are spinning on the ground. The trick is to keep the airplane flying while the main wheels come into gentle contact with the ground, and then throttle back and let the tail wheel slowly settle down. This is very different than the PZ Corsair (which I have also flown). With the PZ Corsair, you just kill the motor way up high and then let the plane float down to the ground. If you try that with the TF Corsair, you won't get to try it again another day.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Oct 11, 2010, 07:21 PM
Lansing, MI
Joined May 2002
214 Posts
The TF 60 size P-47 is a very good flyer and a slow lander to boot.
JLLayton is offline Find More Posts by JLLayton
Old Oct 11, 2010, 08:34 PM
Put a bigger motor on it!
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Feb 2007
1,562 Posts
I got to see the TF 60 size P-47 ARF this weekend for the first time. I was impressed. It looked great with all the built-in detail. I took my Corsair up in the air at the same time with it and it did a good 20 MPH more than my plane. It was electric and running on 8 cells and I'm running on 6.
gtfreeflyer is offline Find More Posts by gtfreeflyer
Old Oct 14, 2010, 02:00 PM
ELECTRIC R/C
INNERKIP,ONTARIO,CANADA
Joined Feb 2006
352 Posts
Quick build ARF or Balsa Kit or Fibreglass & Foam ?

Most of the bigger war birds can be built to fly good. There are lots out there, and RTF ones in standoff scale as well. (H9 P-51 PTS) eg..46 size.
I also have a TF P-47 .60-.91 balsa kit to build this winter, and I have seen both the balsa and ARF kits fly, and they are nice scale flyers. I also like the Spitfire and the Corsair, and hope to build them some day. Some of the older balsa kits are getting hard to find, if you like to build that type, but more and more good ARF scale kits are for sale every day.

Good luck on your choice of warbird.......
Jsutherland8 is offline Find More Posts by Jsutherland8
Old Oct 15, 2010, 01:05 PM
United States, IL, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2004
246 Posts
I will add my 2 cents... I have flown all Hanger 9 birds except the new blue nose P-51, as well as most of the Top Flite kits. IMO the best first warbird (i.e. most forgiving and easy to take off, fly, and land) would be the Hanger 9 P-47. It really is a sweet flier and will tolerate alot without biting back. Mine is overloaded with on-board glow, light system, full cockpit, big rx battery and 3 drop tanks and it still floats around the sky and looks good, too. It's has many scale inconsistancies, but looks tons better in person than in pictures. The only real difficulty I had was with all of the extra weight I has to install beefier struts, as the stock ones were too wobbly. I just bent thicker 3/16" music wire to match the stock strut and drilled out the retract to accept it. No problems since.

Now I also have the Top Flite P-47 60 ARF which I haven't flown yet. It will fly great I am sure, so It might be a toss-up!

Not the gospel, just my opinion...
Reehoe is offline Find More Posts by Reehoe