HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2010, 07:50 AM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Build Log
MiG-15 in 1/10th scale for PSS: A Scratch-Build

This is a re-cap on a MiG-15 slope-soaring glider, a 1/10th scale home-design & scratch-build that I began with a lot of fanfare in 2006 but never finished. I got lost in unnecessary complexities when what was needed was to keep things simple; eventually I set the whole thing aside.

Modifications to "scale" outlines: Slight area increase for wings and horizontal stab, stretching the span and chord, and a very slight decrease in LE sweep. Very slight stretch to the fuselage to maintain some "it looks near-scale" proportionality with the enlarged wing & stab. An art, not a science? Yes!

Airfoil: MH-32 <~~~efficient for slope-soaring model gliders

In the above sketch, purple shows proposed modifications to scale outline for the wings and tail.

Controls: Ailerons and elevator; no landing gear.

Construction: Foam wings and tail with spruce and balsa stiffeners, fiberglass fuselage from a carved foam plug.

Above: Laying fiberglass on the fuselage plug.

Wings plug-in for easier transpo.
John Rood is offline Find More Posts by John Rood
Last edited by John Rood; Oct 31, 2013 at 05:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:21 AM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Where We Left Off

To recap: I tried making a fiberglass fuselage via the "lost foam" approach: shaping a foam "core", glassing it, and then dissolving the foam core. Well, my glassing job turned out wayyy too HEAVY , I decided not to dissolve the foam and miraculously I was able to reclaim the fragile pink foam core without wrecking it, so I can try that approach again, and hopefully do a better job glassing it this time.

But my buddies here challenged me to instead consider fine-tuning the heavy fiberglass shells into a quality plug, so I could then make a female mold around it and then lay up fiberglass fuselage shells inside the mold.

If I go that route I'll add a vertical fin, canopy and tailcone to the plug. And of those, really I should've added at least the vertical fin from the get-go.

So what you see here is as far as I got with the fuselage.

The wing became its own fiasco by me being lazy: Instead of cutting foam cores like everybody else does, I figured I'd just slam-bang a ready-made EPP foam wing (RG-14 airfoil section from L.E.G.) into shape for the MiG. So, you can see all my fussing there with spars and plug-in CF tubes, and I now have a strange bird that's not sure whether it is a EPP "foamie" or a fiberglassed "crunchy"!

I had begun the horizontal stab & elevator: plan was for a foam core with 1/64 ply sheeting, then add a hard balsa LE and TE.

Last edited by John Rood; Oct 31, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:56 AM
Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jan 2010
243 Posts
Niceeeee ...! i love PSS stuff ...
JosePain is offline Find More Posts by JosePain
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:46 PM
Delusional Wanna-Be
Joined Mar 2004
1,178 Posts
Jose, I just saw all your PSS builds on your blog here! Excelente! And who'd a thunk you could fly slope down in Florida! Very cool planes, man.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 09:41 PM
Fort Lauderdale
Joined Jan 2010
243 Posts
Thank you John , i'm very lucky to have a local slope which is actually a landfill and we can fly always upwind . Your project looks great too ..!

Jose
JosePain is offline Find More Posts by JosePain