HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:29 AM
Registered User
stoke on trent UK
Joined Feb 2010
105 Posts
Discussion
600 size heli tail servo

Hi Guys,

I have an HK600GT and was wondering what servo's you guys are using on the tail of your 600 size helis please. i use 4x BMS-661DMG+HS Super Fast Digital Servo but the tail does not lock. i am using an HK401b gyro. thanks in advance. i dont do 3d!!
roger200 is offline Find More Posts by roger200
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:42 PM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,571 Posts
A few things can come in to factor like which hole the ball is mounted, belt tightness and a few other factors....
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:02 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,515 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizziks View Post
A few things can come in to factor like which hole the ball is mounted, belt tightness and a few other factors....
I either use a Futaba BLS251 or from HK a BLS980.

In my opinion he HK401b is crap (unfortunately I have 2 of them that I donít use). Get a Spartan gyro and you will never have any more problems.

The HK401b is not compatible with BLS rudder servos.



RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:54 PM
Eek! I see RC People!
Utah
Joined Oct 2009
664 Posts
I think your problem lies with your gyro. The HK401b is most definitely crap. Spend the money on the more expensive gyros. You won't regret it.

I know several people who have used BMS servos to great affect, but they are flying airplanes. Can't vouch for them in a heli. The other servos mentioned here are pretty expensive. If you can't afford them, then consider the Turnigy HV-787 Digital HV-2S Servo. It's a rebranded MKS servo. MKS servos are great with lots of people using them.
--
oicufly12
OICUFly12 is offline Find More Posts by OICUFly12
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:23 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I either use a Futaba BLS251 or from HK a BLS980.

In my opinion he HK401b is crap (unfortunately I have 2 of them that I donít use). Get a Spartan gyro and you will never have any more problems.

The HK401b is not compatible with BLS rudder servos.



While I can appreciate quality, let's be realistic... if he was going to use electronics like the BLS251 and Spartan gyro then he probably wouldn't have gotten the HK600 to begin with...

My suggestion would be to look for some decent used gyros and tail servos in the used section. I would rather buy good quality used electronics than new poor quality ones... just my opinion though but really, consider whether you want to fly a heli that size with a $12 gyro...
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:58 AM
that's gonna leave a scar
KCinNC's Avatar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,454 Posts
i'm using the Futaba GY401 gyro/ 9254 tail servo....works perfect for me. just some really fast sport flying !!!

flyin' tomorrow....cannot wait....GOOD TIMES!!!

i tried of the HK401B gyros awhile back on a 450.....ehh not so good !!! don't be cheap on the electronics !!!
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Last edited by KCinNC; Sep 19, 2010 at 02:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:33 AM
Registered User
stoke on trent UK
Joined Feb 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCinNC View Post
i'm using the Futaba GY401 gyro/ 9254 tail servo....works perfect for me. just some really fast sport flying !!!

flyin' tomorrow....cannot wait....GOOD TIMES!!!

i tried of the HK401B gyros awhile back on a 450.....ehh not so good !!! don't be cheap on the electronics !!!

i eplaced the servos with a cheap s9250 from hk just to try and it works a treat. not fantastic but ok to fly. i am going to invest in a futaba set up this week you will all be glad to hear! unfortunatly i am a bit of a skinflint and cant restist the cheap stuff from HK. but i am learning very quickly that i need decent stuff to fly a big heli. thanks as always guys for your replies.
roger200 is offline Find More Posts by roger200
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:03 PM
Got Helis
choppersrule's Avatar
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Hey Roger,

Good luck to ya on the 600. I'm a skinflint too, but it's always best to buy good quality electronics, all through the heli. Just stay away from the 10 and 15 dollar stuff.

One thing I can never stress enough to anyone is the Heil Set-Up. If you have it set-up right it makes it so much more pleasurable to fly. When you think you have it right, go over it again.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 03:07 AM
Registered User
stoke on trent UK
Joined Feb 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Hey Roger,

Good luck to ya on the 600. I'm a skinflint too, but it's always best to buy good quality electronics, all through the heli. Just stay away from the 10 and 15 dollar stuff.

One thing I can never stress enough to anyone is the Heil Set-Up. If you have it set-up right it makes it so much more pleasurable to fly. When you think you have it right, go over it again.

Dave
thanks dave. just out of interest what is your electronics setup? esc, servos, tail servo and gyro? thanks rog
roger200 is offline Find More Posts by roger200
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:22 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
I know your question was to Dave but I'll tell you what I have on mine.

Cyclic: Futaba BLS451
Gyro: Curtis Youngblood Solid G
Tail Servo: JR 8900G
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:47 PM
Registered User
stoke on trent UK
Joined Feb 2010
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
I know your question was to Dave but I'll tell you what I have on mine.

Cyclic: Futaba BLS451
Gyro: Curtis Youngblood Solid G
Tail Servo: JR 8900G
Thanks man! cough cough splutter splutter. dont have that much cash! i'm bidding on an align ds620 servo and gp750 gyro. what do'u think?
roger200 is offline Find More Posts by roger200
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 12:55 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger200 View Post
Thanks man! cough cough splutter splutter. dont have that much cash! i'm bidding on an align ds620 servo and gp750 gyro. what do'u think?
They should work fine and the tail servo is the one in the super combo, it comes with the one step up gyro the 780 though. In the end the 750 will be fine for your needs.

You see a lot of the 750/780 on sale as some people prefer gyros like the spartan, Futaba... etc. but that doesn't make them bad gyros. They may not hold as well as some of the "top" gyros but for sport flying they'll do the job.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:00 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
KCinNC's Avatar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,454 Posts
check the classifieds here....i've bought my last 2 GY401's from somebody here in the forums....saved alot of $$
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:09 PM
Registered User
USA, WI, Wauwatosa
Joined Nov 2007
230 Posts
how much did you really pay? I think you can get a used Spartan for around $100...it's really not even in the same ballpark as the 401
sk8teradam2003 is offline Find More Posts by sk8teradam2003
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:17 PM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
I see most 401s going for about $60-$70 which isn't a bad price. The cheapest I've seen a spartan 760 is $110 myself.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Futaba GY401 gyro and Futaba S9257 tail servo for 250-500 size helis ClayH Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 11 Sep 02, 2010 11:36 AM
For Sale 500 size heli cf tail boom etc anton831 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Aug 29, 2010 05:34 PM
Wanted Mini size heli tail servo wanted ck986 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Jul 16, 2010 06:29 PM
Question Falcon 600 tail size? rdeis Sailplane Talk 2 Apr 20, 2010 05:01 PM
Discussion Best tail servo for 300 size heli? johnnychimpo Micro Helis 2 Mar 02, 2007 08:30 PM