HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:11 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Gallery
My first Scratch built Balsa model

Hi Peers,
I just finished a home brew bala model last night. This has a 18 inch WS and the airframe weight is 7.6 grams. I am planning to power this using KP00 geared motor with GWS prop. Radio gear will be either Plantraco or RFFS-100.

Cheers,
Harsha
mrexcel is offline Find More Posts by mrexcel
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:22 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
It reminds me of the wide bodied little marvel that some fellow posted a couple of months ago. Nautical link somewhere...but was a great aircraft of short length high wing design.

Looking forward to progress reports
Slider2732 is offline Find More Posts by Slider2732
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:28 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Hi Slider,
We have restrictions in importing radios here. Do you know of a way I can bring them down as parts and assemble on my own. Or do you know a radio which will look like a computer game pad?

Cheers,
Harsha
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:37 PM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
I'm surprised you got the Plantraco gear in, but wasn't going to say !
What could be hoped, is that someone puts the electronics for say a Plantraco transmitter in an alarm clock and sends you it like that....you have such resolve and I admire that, remembering discussions on the Free Flight section about troubles with electronics. This is a great design and we'll have to find a way of sorting this one out.
If anything with an aerial for R/C is illegal, then there's no point flouting laws..but if it's just the importing side or customs etc and no actual laws on flying, then things are different.
Would have to say that 2.4GHz would be the option for short aerials, or should we say, not looking like traditional R/C, but again gotta stay within laws that could land you in trouble.
Which radio's are allowed ? was it just I/R ?
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:51 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Hi Slider,
From last week Sri Lanka opened its sky. But our officials at customs are still playing fool. They say we can bring in model planes (RTF) but not Transmitters alone. I am not trying to do anything illegal. Its just trying to get them down without much hassle.

I managed to got down the Plantraco gear with someone who hand carried it to me.

By the way I have built couple of Bit Car (Char) based planes and they fly great. Also I have started a small hobby store here..

www.hobbytechlk.net

Cheers,
Harsha
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:19 AM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Great site and best wishes for it. You'll also be able to claim you are the longest running R/C supplies website for the country too !

OK, so, you need a Carbon Butterfly, or something. Wonder what's the cheapest RTF Plantraco ? Classroom fighter ? You'd have 2 receivers then for experimentation.
Can you order a PZ Vapor perhaps and use it to further flight, if not your lightest aircraft ?
I'm just thinking that your Plantraco receiver has to wait for a transmitter and yet there are probably the eRC/PZ birds and other great value full packages with respectable weight and performance innards that would 'do', til you could acquire a transmitter.

Great news about the relaxing of what is head scratching for most
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:27 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
I have the plantraco HXF 900 transmitter as well
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:32 AM
Storm Runner guy
USA, OK, Muskogee
Joined Nov 2008
3,581 Posts
Oh, well throw Plantraco gear in it LOL
Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Still, for transmitters of other types, a PCB is a PCB and if you can wire up to a heli transmitter controls or something, the circuitboard itself should be easy enough to order in
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:36 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Yes. But I am more interested in a generic transmistter which will support cheap receivers from HongKong.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 02:43 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
920 Posts
wouldn't buying a cheapoplane and the radiogear from HobbyCity make it a RTF since its in the same package??
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:09 AM
Joined Jul 2009
1,313 Posts
Good Idea. You know any good one from HobbyCity? Do they sell Airhogs models?