SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:46 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Which Airtronics did you order? the SD10 I presume.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2010, 09:43 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Morrison View Post
I just ordered a new Airtronics radio because I am tired of figuring out how to get my new full house sailplane programmed on my dx7se.
Amen Brother ... last night at our club meeting I bought a "lightly" used 9303 2.4g native on the cheap from someone who stepped up to a DX8.

I bought a DX7 about 1.5 years ago, but in all honesty I've still been mostly flying my Fut. 8UAPS because I HATE programming 6 or 7 servo's on the DX7 - it'll be in the for sale section for cheap shortly. I've really only used it for BNF stuff ... sad
Alan W is online now Find More Posts by Alan W
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:00 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Spektrum makes some good radios for airplanes and Helis. None of them claim to be sailplane radios.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:03 PM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Which Airtronics did you order? the SD10 I presume.
Actually no, I found that the rds8000 suites my needs fine and I like the look of the all black radio with no chrome to reflect the sun.
Bud Morrison is offline Find More Posts by Bud Morrison
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:53 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Based on my review of the manual, the RDS 8000 looks like a good midrange aircraft and perhaps an entry level sailplane radio as it has some sailplane mixes listed. It would be good for RES sailplanes, aileron sailplanes and does have some flap features as well. It also has two user 2 mixers available if you want to add some extra features.

For the non-competition, or entry level thermal duration sailplane pilot this is probably a good choice.

Some things I can't tell from the manual is:

* Will it handle two flap servos on separate channels? The manual does not seem to indicate that it will. Not a requirement, but a nice to have.

* Flap control seems to be 0, 50% and 100% with no variable option. Is that correct?

* I see no reference to any kind of full trailing edge camber control for a full house glider. Camber control is used to set up a launch mix, a thermal mix and a reflex or speed/penetration mix as well as other settings for the wing. Usually these mixes also add the elevator mixing for trim compenstation while using these mixes. Camber contorl usually implies 4-5 channels being manipulated at once based on one of these mixes.

Are these necessary to fly a sailplane? No! But they are mixes that sailplane pilots use often. I use camber control all the time, on every flight, but I have also flown sailplanes where I did not have camber control.

If you don't have camber contol you may at least be able to set up a launch and thermal mix using your two available user mixers. Or perhaps, if you can adjust your flap% from the standard 50%, 100% settings you can set your middle level flap mix so that it can also be used as a launch mix for hi-start or winch launching.

Enjoy your new radio. Let us know if it lives up to your expectations and what cool things you discover.
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 22, 2010 at 05:04 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:08 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVSS Boss View Post
Since the 8 is the first telemtry radio,

Marc
Nope - Hitec beat them to the punch. Sorta... Not sure when the Hitec module will be out, but should be soon. Today it does voltage out of the box with no add-on's.

So the Aurora 9 has three model types and is cheaper. A great choice to add to the mix.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:17 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Nope - Hitec beat them to the punch. Sorta... Not sure when the Hitec module will be out, but should be soon. Today it does voltage out of the box with no add-on's.

So the Aurora 9 has three model types and is cheaper. A great choice to add to the mix.

Mike
The Aurora does have a nice set of advance sailplane mixes.

Advanced GLIDER Programming

•9 wing Type (6 Main Wings, 3 Flying Wings)
•Five Tail Type (Main Wing: Normal, V-Tail, Ailevator) (Flying Wing: 1 Servo Rudder, 2 Servo Rudders)
•Quick Model Options Select (Motor, Retracts Gear, Airbrake)
•Motor Control (Switch on/off)**
•Airbrake
•Airbrake to Elevator Mix**
•Aileron to Rudder Mix**
•Elevator to Camber Mix**
•Rudder to Aileron Mix**
•Aileron Differential*
•Aileron to Flap Mix**
•Launch (Stick Position Auto Cut Function)**
•Camber Mix**
•Flap Control*
•3 x Gyro Sensitivity (ex: AILE/ELEV/RUDD)*
•Butterfly**
•V-Tail**
•Delta Mix**
•Ailevator**

* Capable of a Maximum of 24 rates by 8 flight conditions and 3 switch positions
** Capable of a Maximum of 8 Rates by 8 Flight Conditions
*** Capable of a Maximum of 3 Rates Using 3-Swicth Positions

Note that it is about double the price of the RDS8000 dicussed in the previous post.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:30 PM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
Here is the article that steered me toward the rds8000
https://sites.google.com/site/speced...ds8000-for-dlg

On my old fm radio I had camber on rotary knob. I sort of like having presets on a switch now days.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:35 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
The Aurora does have a nice set of advance sailplane mixes.

Note that it is about double the price of the RDS8000 dicussed in the previous post.
True Ed.

The A9 is really more comparable to the SD-10 a fine system as well.

I did have a RD8000 and loved it, with a few exceptions, like no rudder expo.

It is so great to have a bunch of choices. But man do I love the touch screen programing on the Aurora 9.
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2010, 05:38 PM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
Individual flap servo RCS8000 setup.

Courtesy of RCGeckoman from RCU post

ok step by step 2 x ailerons and 2 x flaps ...

1. Got to tht etc section of the radio.
2. Choose the 1st C mix.
3. Make the master = AI
4. Make the Slv = 7
5. Make A->7 = 100% for BOTH directions of the arrow that shows above the numbers.
6. Press End

that gives 2 x ailerons, one on channel 2 and one on channel 7

7. Go to channel 7 and set REV = REV ( reverse the aileron on channel 7 (can do either channel 2 otr 7 as long as they move in opposite directions) set to suit your model))
8. Press end.
9. Try it out and see that you have two servos moving together but in opposite directions.

now for the flaps :-

1. Go to etc section of the radio again.
2. Choose the 2nd C mix.
3. Make the Master = FL (Channel 6)
4. Make the Slv = GE (Channel 5 or you could use 8 instead if you wish to have retracts as well, just replace GE with 8 in the instructions)
5. Make F->G = -100% ( that is MINUS 100%)
6. Press End
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:56 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Morrison View Post
Here is the article that steered me toward the rds8000
https://sites.google.com/site/speced...ds8000-for-dlg

On my old fm radio I had camber on rotary knob. I sort of like having presets on a switch now days.
If DLG is your thing, and not full house gliders (flaps and aileorns) then I would think you should be very happy with the RDS8000. DLGs rarely have 4 servo wings.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:03 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
True Ed.

The A9 is really more comparable to the SD-10 a fine system as well.

I did have a RD8000 and loved it, with a few exceptions, like no rudder expo.

It is so great to have a bunch of choices. But man do I love the touch screen programing on the Aurora 9.
+1 for the Aurora 9. The next firmware update (v1.08) may put it equal to or even surpass the SD-10G.

It surprises me that it's not catching on with the sailplane crowd as fast as I thought it would...
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:17 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief View Post
+1 for the Aurora 9. The next firmware update (v1.08) may put it equal to or even surpass the SD-10G.

It surprises me that it's not catching on with the sailplane crowd as fast as I thought it would...
I had trouble early on in Hitec's career with radios that fell apart and were laden with issues. I am hesitant to even look at one now. Times may have changed but Hitec transmitters buried a lot of planes for me. I can't be alone.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Sep 25, 2010, 05:30 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,463 Posts
I have had several Hitec radios over the past 8 years with nothing but success.
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:15 PM
Grayslake, Illinois, United States
Joined Mar 2001
352 Posts
If Hitech had continued producing 53 MHz receivers until 2.4GHz become common I would still be using their products. Jumped to JR and still find my 8103 does all I need, on either band with modules.

The Hitech customer service was, bar none, the best I found among the manufacturers (I've never owned Airtronics but have one each of most other majors).
lenrev is offline Find More Posts by lenrev