HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:59 PM
Joined Dec 2000
36 Posts
Discussion
DX 8 No sailplane programing?

I just looked at the new DX 8 manual and it doesn't show any sailplane menus.

Can this be right no sailplanes in the new DX 8
dougind is offline Find More Posts by dougind
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:48 PM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,607 Posts
Yep.

Must be afraid to challenge Airtronics for the glider guider market.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:43 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
JR 9503 is their primary sailplane radio.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 17, 2010, 04:40 PM
globemaster
USA, CA, Cypress
Joined Jun 2008
1,462 Posts
bummer
Well, I'll have to "stick to" my x9503 (and proud of it)
nicoyenny is offline Find More Posts by nicoyenny
Old Sep 17, 2010, 05:00 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Just breezed through the manual:

Applications
Full range up to 8-channel aircraft including:
• All types and sizes of glow, gas and electric powered airplanes
• All types and sizes of no-powered gliders• All types and sizes of glow, gas and electric powered helicopters

Preset Failsafe
If the signal is lost, all channels are driven to their failsafe position set during binding.
Preset Failsafe is ideal for sailplanes, as spoliers can be deployed during loss of signal, preventing a flyaway.

Those are the only two references to glider or sailplane in the manual.

I find nothing about airbrake, crow, camber or thermal mentioned in the manual.

Doesn't mean you could not set up a glider on this radio. Certainly plenty of people use the DX7 for gliders. But yes, there seem to be no special provisions made for gliders or sailplanes so I probably would not consider it a glider/sailplane radio. But it could work.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:24 AM
Joined Nov 2005
3,547 Posts
Since the 8 is the first telemtry radio, it is set up more for machines with things that go around and around on some part of their frame. Like Sherman said, you can fly a sailplane with it, but others are maybe better suited for all out sailplanes.

Marc
R.M. Gellart is online now Find More Posts by R.M. Gellart
Old Sep 20, 2010, 04:27 AM
JART Builder/flyer :)
Oslo, Norway
Joined Feb 2005
229 Posts
AFAIK the sailplane programming will be released as a firmware uppgrade for the DX8 when the DX10t is ready for shipping. This is due to the fact that the DX8 and DX10t share the same software platform and Spektrum want to complete the sailplane program before releasing it.
That is the info we got from Horizon in Germany when we asked about this.
Leif is offline Find More Posts by Leif
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2003
1,788 Posts
It is unlikely that the 8 will have dedicated sailplane software any time soon in the US. Look for a future Spektrum system to have full competition sailplane software. And if you have been living in a cave lately you might want to check out an 11X that will match up favorably with any Airtronics offering. LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:46 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
AFAIK the sailplane programming will be released as a firmware uppgrade for the DX8 when the DX10t is ready for shipping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
It is unlikely that the 8 will have dedicated sailplane software any time soon in the US.
So far, that makes two flat statements about this issue with zero evidence. I hope we'll start seeing some information that's backed up with authoritative links because this an important issue to me.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Sep 20, 2010, 11:07 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
soaring programs..

Leif may be commenting on the European versions. I'm sure Larry know about what we'll see in the good ole' USA.. Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:41 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Until I actually sailplane SW for the DX8, it is not a sailpalne radio and I would not recommend it to someone who wants a serious sailplane radio.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 12:38 AM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,657 Posts
So we have the 11x radio which was a step forward in programming ease but a step backward in ergonomics. Then they release the DX8 which lacks a critical sailplane programming mode as well as sliders. So we await the DX10 that supposedly adds in sailplane mode but is likely to fall short in some other area. To top it off, the 9505 is not available with modules in the US. All in all, I see no reason to upgrade from the 9303 with modules. I hope these radio designers will take a deep breath and offer 1 or 2 really good radios instead of bunch of half-baked choices that entail major compromises. Not griping, just pointing out the obvious here. I think if you take the cost of the DX7, the ergonomics and flexibility of the 9303, the programming of the 11x and roll that into a single unit you would have a winner. Why can't there be a 6ch/9ch/12ch radio family based on proven ergonomics and centered around a common programming interface, where each level of radio has maxed out software and just varies in channels and price?

That said, you can get rudimentary sailplane programming with the DX8 but you have to limit what functions you employ and go without modes. Maybe if the e-crowd starting using modes then all radios would have them? It seems the electric crowd drives the market now.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:08 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,244 Posts
Spektrum has not, to date, gone after the sailplane market, so the fact that the DX8 has no sailplane features is not really a surprise.

JR has long been in the sailplane market with some of the most popular sailplane radios.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:40 AM
Germany
Joined Jul 2009
994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Just breezed through the manual:

Applications
Full range up to 8-channel aircraft including:
All types and sizes of glow, gas and electric powered airplanes
All types and sizes of no-powered gliders All types and sizes of glow, gas and electric powered helicopters

Preset Failsafe
If the signal is lost, all channels are driven to their failsafe position set during binding.
Preset Failsafe is ideal for sailplanes, as spoliers can be deployed during loss of signal, preventing a flyaway.

Those are the only two references to glider or sailplane in the manual.

I find nothing about airbrake, crow, camber or thermal mentioned in the manual.

Doesn't mean you could not set up a glider on this radio. Certainly plenty of people use the DX7 for gliders. But yes, there seem to be no special provisions made for gliders or sailplanes so I probably would not consider it a glider/sailplane radio. But it could work.
According to the Horizon guy (Andy I believe) on the DX8 thread, it will NOT have sailplane programming, however the DX10 will.
Mcdyvie is offline Find More Posts by Mcdyvie
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:20 PM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
I just ordered a new Airtronics radio because I am tired of figuring out how to get my new full house sailplane programmed on my dx7se.
Bud Morrison is offline Find More Posts by Bud Morrison