SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:02 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
United Kingdom, England, Milton Keynes
Joined Sep 2003
6,263 Posts
Discussion
MULTIPLEX CULARIS for FPV ?

I was impressed with Bob's Cularis on 3rd person. I flew it twice and I liked the rate of climb, the stability and how easy I caught thermals. then, when things got a bit scary, I deployed the spoilers (flaps up really ) and it came down without a fuss and without picking terminal speed.

Flaps down did not seem to make things better but I did not expect much to be fair...

So I had to get myself one and try it for FPV.

This glider seems to be great for thermalling, and there is a feeling of "solid" platform to it. It was a very windy day for trying but I knew it would cope.
I stuck a 3s4000mAh battery, let one of my friends launch it and fly it for a bit while I was putting my goggles on.

Unfortunately the motor somehow got burnt out and one of the flap/spoiler servos was very weak with very little torque. I had a good flight though.
It is all fixed and rearing to go again

Cularis maiden (6 min 13 sec)

I heard very few mentions of the Cularis as an FPV platform...I wonder why ? I think it beats the pants off the easy glider ! I have yet to do a SKY OFF with my beloved Radian but I think it might be a close contest performance -wise.
What experiences and opinions you have on the subject ? If you do have one please post images and videos of your plane. I need good ideas for the video installation on mine

Thanks
rcmonster99 is offline Find More Posts by rcmonster99
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:16 PM
FPV addict
Giske, Norway
Joined Aug 2009
521 Posts
Nice video and good landing at the end.
Too bad the bad motor ruined your flight.

I've often seen the Cularis on sale at my LHS and always thought about it for FPV flights.
Maybe I'll add it to my hangar this winter

Keep us update on the flights and performance.

Kristian
KristianS is offline Find More Posts by KristianS
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:08 PM
fpv addict
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2007
921 Posts
I just finished building mine hopefully I'll maiden it this w/e. Un fortunately I didnt take pics of the gear placement before sealing it up but it has rvosd g4, tlrs Rx, lawmate 1watt 1.2ghz tx, hacker a30-14l, 4s 3000, and a hd25 cam from foxtech Fpv which I believe is a sn555, I'll take pics for u later
mrleenagle is offline Find More Posts by mrleenagle
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:09 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,813 Posts
I have a cularis and ez glider pro (which has flaps.)

Both set up for fpv but have also been flown regular rc orrigionally.

They are two different airplanes which are difficult to compare.

One big difference is that the cularis if faster than the ez, but the ez is more agile.

Setting up the planes with full channel to servo control, independant from one another, is for sure worth it. Landing with butterfly, mixing in aileron to flap mix, calibrating before takeoff, etc.

I think the EZ Glider rocks big time because of its sportyness and crash resistance.

The cularis gives a nice ride and is nice and large.

Transport is cool with both

Really slow speeds useing gliders, out in the open pan and tilts, don't really matter IMHO

But for speed or flight characteristics, it is IMHO to make the camera setups as aerodynamic as possable. Like for long range or thermaling etc.

Both planes IMHO need some mods. durring builds.
here are a few vids.

EZ Glider
Multiplex easy glider 4 cell and 3 cell fpv 360 pan and 180 tilt, two fpv landings (3 min 10 sec)

ez glider video(Pan and tilt) setup, as in video
360 degree pan and tilt testing (0 min 50 sec)

Cularis fpv maiden with flpv landings
Cularis maiden FPV with single servo pan and tilt (2 min 9 sec)

cularis set up for video, designed for long range
Cularis FPV set up single servo Pan and Tilt (0 min 50 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmonster99 View Post
I was impressed with Bob's Cularis on 3rd person. I flew it twice and I liked the rate of climb, the stability and how easy I caught thermals. then, when things got a bit scary, I deployed the spoilers (flaps up really ) and it came down without a fuss and without picking terminal speed.

Flaps down did not seem to make things better but I did not expect much to be fair...

So I had to get myself one and try it for FPV.

This glider seems to be great for thermalling, and there is a feeling of "solid" platform to it. It was a very windy day for trying but I knew it would cope.
I stuck a 3s4000mAh battery, let one of my friends launch it and fly it for a bit while I was putting my goggles on.

Unfortunately the motor somehow got burnt out and one of the flap/spoiler servos was very weak with very little torque. I had a good flight though.
It is all fixed and rearing to go again

http://vimeo.com/15031457

I heard very few mentions of the Cularis as an FPV platform...I wonder why ? I think it beats the pants off the easy glider ! I have yet to do a SKY OFF with my beloved Radian but I think it might be a close contest performance -wise.
What experiences and opinions you have on the subject ? If you do have one please post images and videos of your plane. I need good ideas for the video installation on mine

Thanks
David22 is online now Find More Posts by David22
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:24 AM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,404 Posts
Nice one Bernhart
The Cularis is defo my next fpv ship, liked how you said in the vid that it was like a rolls, how much different is it to the BWEZ*
Will defo get one unless you want to give me yours

Simon
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:42 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignose13 View Post
Nice one Bernhart
The Cularis is defo my next fpv ship, liked how you said in the vid that it was like a rolls, how much different is it to the BWEZ*
Will defo get one unless you want to give me yours

Simon
Fat chance ! get your own !!!

This thing seems to ignore the wind conditions and remain calm ... where the EASYs would get bashed and buffeted, the Cularis seems to be undisturbed. I am hoping the weather tomorrow will be more favourable, Sunday does not look too nice.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:44 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,263 Posts
David22 From what I see you managed to make a 360degree servo out of a mini servo. I am using a GWS125 winch servo for mine which is nice and bulky.

Would you be kind enough to describe how you did yours ?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:38 PM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,813 Posts
Its a continuous bi dirrectional servo mod. my hobby guy does with almost any servo.
A big heavy servo when not needed is a bad thing.

I put a mechanical stop just off rear center so i could look straight back.

360 pan is not my deal anymore

putting the camera in plain view is way simpler, with either a pan or just a tilt servo

It is really cool looking around 360 and up and down, especially when you are looking at yourself from above

here is another vid. just useing a light weight 360 pan servo on a corsair

360 degree pan in action FPV for old guys, with a young heart (6 min 54 sec)

Quote:
David22 From what I see you managed to make a 360degree servo out of a mini servo. I am using a GWS125 winch servo for mine which is nice and bulky.

Would you be kind enough to describe how you did yours ?
Old Sep 18, 2010, 08:00 PM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
Its a continuous bi dirrectional servo mod. my hobby guy does with almost any servo.
A big heavy servo when not needed is a bad thing.
I totally agree with you regarding the 360 degree pan.
Any ideas on how he does it?
I know about adding resistors to the feedback potentiometer to make a 180 degree servo...
but 360? it would be great if you could dig some info for me. Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:08 AM
BEOWULF
Joined Apr 2008
18,813 Posts
sorry my days of 360 are over

I never actually did the mod myself but someone else did it for me

It takes him very few minutes but I have no idea really how he does it even though he does it right in front of me
Old Sep 19, 2010, 12:38 AM
Yeah Baby
Joined Apr 2006
1,404 Posts
Bernhart
I got one of these servos http://www.lowpricerc.com/product_in...roducts_id=745, continuous rotation though and dont return to center when you let the stick go on the TX, not used it yet in a plane but works well,
Simon
bignose13 is offline Find More Posts by bignose13
Old Sep 19, 2010, 02:41 AM
Houba ! Houba !!
Joined Sep 2003
6,263 Posts
mmm interesting concept...
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:22 AM
Resistance is Futile
United States, FL, Panama City Beach
Joined Oct 2001
2,680 Posts
Quote:
I totally agree with you regarding the 360 degree pan.
Any ideas on how he does it?
I know about adding resistors to the feedback potentiometer to make a 180 degree servo...
but 360? it would be great if you could dig some info for me. Thanks
There are a couple of ways to do it. If it takes only a minute or two it is basically "lobotomizing"the servo position potentiometer.

The way I make a true 360+ is finding a multi-turn potentiometer that fits the application value wise and replace the stock one with it. More often than not I wind-up with an external potentiometer for lack of a mechanically compatible one to fit internally.

Here is a example for larger cameras.

360 Pan/Tilt

Good luck,

Rob
camship is offline Find More Posts by camship
Old Sep 19, 2010, 09:41 PM
fpv addict
Sydney, Australia
Joined Nov 2007
921 Posts
Hey guys I maidened my cularis yesterday and there seems to be only one word for it, BRILLIANT!!! It flys so smooth and rock solid, with the autopilot on it's simply amazing.
mrleenagle is offline Find More Posts by mrleenagle
Old Sep 20, 2010, 01:40 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,645 Posts
Good on ya mrleenagle.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au