HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:14 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
yea 20 bucks USD is alittle steep for 1 Prop.But maybe worth it if you get a few things...But i only want 2 props...
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2010, 08:17 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
lol just went there and even there replacment Motor is the V1 Motor...
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/search/PKZ4716.html
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:46 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
How to make your own servo covers.

Place a sheet of 3/8" balsa on the wing and draw the outline of the covers. Cut out the blanks and round the top. Just straight lines with a rounded top are the easiest.

My aileron cover is a straight taper.
My flap cover is straight from the flap horn to the servo, then a straight taper to the wing surface.

To accommodate the bend in the flap cover I did a single cut in from each side and left a 3/8" join at the top.
When the flap servo cover is complete, the front tapered section overlaps the rear section slightly.

The plastic used in this set of covers was from an ice-cream container. I have also made them from clear plastic.

Rest the plastic on top of the blank and soften it with a heat gun. When the plastic sags press it down over the blank with a piece of wood each side.

If you are not satisfied with your initial result, reheat the plastic and try again. It takes about a minute to cool down. You must keep it in the shape you want until it has completely set.

Trim the edges leaving a lip all round. Use sticky tape to attach to your model. Now go and show your friends.
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:13 PM
R/C is a SICKNESS
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2009
80 Posts
Very cool...They look GREAT. Covers look quick and easy to make…the pics help too. How thick is the plastic? (I think our ice-cream containers are thicker)

Thanks
Duncandiver is offline Find More Posts by Duncandiver
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:17 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Is this the right prop?

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...h/PKZ1017.html

I went to the Radian Pro PNP page and looked under parts and brought up the prop. Don't know if it is the right one. They say it is.

http://secure.hobbyzone.com/PKZ5475.html?listType=parts
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:20 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
Graeme Marion thaks for the Pics. That looks awesome.A must do..Prob get that done tomorrow night after the Maiden tomorrow.;0)
Winds tomorrow are calling for 10-15knots/25km..Should be a great soaring day.:0)
I may even put on my Hat cam and record it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:24 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
Is this the right prop?

I went to the Radian Pro PNP page and looked under parts and brought up the prop. Don't know if it is the right one. They say it is.

Yea thats the right one It has the _1 at the end,its the new Improved Prop.
have a read at the Bulletin
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=PKZ1017
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:27 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
I got a feeling its the Prop...Not the motor at all.

If anyone with the original CF Spar from V1,could give me a Weight would be great.
Yes and no.

I put both an original Radian prop (the one that breaks all by itself) and the new one off my Pro side by side and they look identical in diameter and pitch.

BUT, if you were planning to upgrade the prop anyway, OR you don't mind doing so, IMO you're better off sticking with the new motor. (As long as it's just low kv and not defective in some way.) Just going by the bare weight of the motor (3.5ozs) it should be capable of providing equal, or better performance to its 'replacement' with an appropriate sized prop. The metal bell isn't gonna crack, the larger cooling holes should, well, keep it cooler, and a larger diameter slower spinning prop is more efficient, which translates to longer run time.

So speaking for myself, I just want to hear someone from Horizon say there's nothing wrong with the new motor, it's just the wrong one.

The original spar weighs 21 grams. (I put a piece of fiberglass tent pole inside mine which brings it up to 64.5 grams.)

The new Pro spar weighs 45 grams. (And is beefy enough I don't feel the need to reinforce it.)

.......Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:49 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,621 Posts
thanks, im just going too use the Stock Prop for now.And order a replacement Prop.They may look the same but it don't take much of a Pitch Difference too change the Amps?
After some more research i may find a Graupner CAM 10 x 8 6mm for less then 20 bucks Shipping lol.All in all that around 35 bucks for a Prop lmao.
If it was hooked up too a Watt meter you could really see if the Pros Prop is the issue.By putting the Stcok Replacment Prop on.Or just taking it for a flight..
And see if there's any difference in power.We know the Graupner 10x8 brings the Amps up.

How much of a Pitch Difference you you need too loose 5-6 Amps
No one has put a tach on it either too see what the RPMs are.Ill do that tomorrow

Thanks for the Weights on the Spars...I was thinking of cutting 3 pieces of tubing 3/6/9 oz to fit in the Spar for different wind conditions.

Thanks
Mike 2
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:15 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
After some more research i may find a Graupner CAM 10 x 8 6mm for less then 20 bucks Shipping lol.All in all that around 35 bucks for a Prop lmao.
Tell me about it. I replaced the Radian, and now the Pro, props with Aeronaut stuff from the motor shaft out. Collet adapter, yoke, spinner, and blades. Doing it that way runs about $50 before shipping, I think.

I run an Aeronaut 10x7 on the original Radian and get more than enough power. I never use full throttle for more than a couple seconds. Just gets too tricky to keep it on a steady course at that speed.

.....Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY
Old Dec 14, 2010, 11:44 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncandiver View Post
Very cool...They look GREAT. Covers look quick and easy to make…the pics help too. How thick is the plastic? (I think our ice-cream containers are thicker)

Thanks
Duncan,

The advantage of ice-cream containers is they come in many different colours and can be readily obtained. The ice-cream container I used today was 0.71mm or 0.028ins thick.

The clear plastic I had used previously was 0.44mm or 0.017ins thick and was easier to mould.

My clear plastic came as the packaging for a circular saw blade.
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Dec 15, 2010, 02:48 AM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
What is the shape of the motors being returned?

Of the people checking their motors and finding that they are under performing (ie. Amp reading less then 12-13)

How many of you have a motor shaped the same as in this picture?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3620385

The listed Radian/Pro 960Kv replacement part motor (PKZ4716) is not shaped like this motor (nor is my original Radian's motor) but my Radian Pro's motor sure is?

What is the part number of this different motor..shipped with my Radian Pro?

The motor that was shipped with my Radian Pro reminds me of a reversed version of the 950Kv Parkzone Extra 300 motor....as seen below:
http://c0456141.cdn.cloudfiles.racks...kz/pkz5116.jpg

-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:58 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
Is this the right prop?

They are the same prop. Look at the Parkzone part number in the description of the second link and you will find the same PKZ1017 number. This is the prop HH sent to me for my Radian Pro.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Dec 15, 2010, 09:29 AM
Lakeville Minnesota
Lakeville MN
Joined Oct 2008
514 Posts
Nice pics for the servo covers Just reading how it was accomplished left me clueless Now, I have to find an ice cream bucket

As far as the prop goes, I would have changed to a 10 x 7 or 8 regardless. I happen to have an extra spinner and prop for my Radian that I will use. I prefer the graupner or cam series. They just seem more solid.

Prop adaptor size for motor shaft: 4mm
Spinner size: 54mm

Steve
SailingAlong is offline Find More Posts by SailingAlong
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:37 PM
Survival is Attitude!
Hallsville Texas
Joined Aug 2005
2,235 Posts
Well, I am in on the Parkzone Radian! I am mounting a Turnigy motor to the plane, and some special effects lighting I will refer back to later.
I am postponing the video plane to just have a fun bird, and I feel I came to the right place!!
Parts cost for the bare-bones airframe is very affordable.

BTW, I am impressed with the aileron covers!
Skonk
Skonkworkstexas is offline Find More Posts by Skonkworkstexas