Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:58 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Which is what I meant when I said flaperons... full span ailerons = 7ch
I see. what you mean. Did not catch the flapperons reference. Sorry.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 12, 2013 at 10:03 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:53 AM
A geriatric flier
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchitagain View Post
..............AAfter 3 inexplicable and rather spectacular crashes with the Spektrum products,.............
Bash Spectrum as much as you like with FACTS, "Inexplicable" means you do not know what caused the crashes. It might well have been dumb thumbs.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:03 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,552 Posts
The fact is that the DX5e has/had a problem with the power switch. Mine has it Don't touch the power switch during a flight a the RF may go out even though the power light stays on.

I doubt the current ones do it but mine is over 3 years old and I just discovered the problem. Explains a few incidents.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 24, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
Radian ready for receiver install question

Ok I have put together new fuse, wings and stab. Servos are back in as is the motor. Now I have an Airtronics recvr which is rather large (larger than the 72 MHz I was using) It being 2.4 GHz has two antennas where to install. Right now I am thinking of removing some foam right in front of the two fuse servos this leaves the antennas under the recvr but towards the top of the fuse. My problem is routing them. Any problem with servo noise on 2.4? I am thinking of putting a hole down the fuse (inside ) and running one towards the tail the other I will go toward the top of the fuse right behind the canopy provided there is no "noise" from the servos. This gives the 90 degree separation with one vertical and one horizontal. Any other suggestions?
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Feb 24, 2013, 01:44 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Apr 2012
34 Posts
How the $#@# do I setup my Radian Pro... ?

Let me start by saying that "YES, I have read through probably 50 different threads and posts" and I now I am even more confused ...

I have a Radian Pro with the stock AR600 and a DX8. My ailerons are both connected to the AR600 on a Y-plug in the AIL channel. My flaps are also both connected to the AR600 on a Y-plug in the AUX1 channel. I am using the SPM file from the Spektrum website - the one named "Radian Pro", not the "Sailplane..." SPM file. Under the model setup in the Rx, my wing type is set to "2 ailerons, 1 flap" and tail is "normal". After importing the SPM file into my Tx, I have not changed anything but something is definately wrong. Ailerons move the correct direction and seem to work. Flaps are not working nor are crow or any other advanced functions like camber or reflex. My flaps start in a slightly down position and stay there until I move the ailerons, then the flaps drop some any time I move an aileron, then come back up to their neutral position (slightly dropped) when I return ailerons to neutral.

I have read through all the threads but I am new to programming and have no idea exactly what is wrong here. Can someone please enlighten me to a few things here:

1.) If I am using the "Radian Pro" SPM file from the Spektrum site, how should my flaps and aileron leads be connected to the AR600? Wyes, no-wyes, which channel/plug?
2.) Can I use the SPM file from Spektrum as-is or do I need to modify it?
3.) What programming/features can I expect from the Radiam by using the Spektrum SPM file - flaperons? crow? relex? camber?

Even if I cannot get the more advanced features such as reflex and camber, I would like to just get the basics going so that I can fly the darn thing!

Any help is much appreciated. I'm about ready to tear my hair out

Thanks,

Lance
lancew is offline Find More Posts by lancew
Old Feb 24, 2013, 02:42 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,761 Posts
The .SPM file has mixes built into it for reflex/camber etc.
Unfortunately to use these you need a channel for each servo so you will need a 7ch Rx.

You say that you are using Y leads. This is fine, but you have to tell the Tx that you are using a 1 aileron servo wing otherwise it looks for the second aileron and finds the flaps.

Try changing to a 1A 1F wing. It should work as normal, just obviously without the mixes...

I'm using mine with an R617 and my 10CG because the Futaba has better sailplane mixes. Unfortunately the 617 is a very tight fit, too tight in fact, so I'm changing to an Orange 7ch endpin Rx and will try the .SPM file myself.

Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Old Feb 24, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Apr 2012
34 Posts
SilenPilot,

Thanks for the 1A,1F wing suggestion but no go. When I did that, the flaps no longer moved with the ailerons and the flaps now seem to work properly on the Gear switch. Plus, the flaps work downwards on the three position flap switch. What doesn not work is the right aileron. No movement at all.

The more I think about it I wonder if I either have the wing type set wrong or I don't have the servos plugged into the the Rx in the right place...

Help.....

Thanks,

Lance
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:11 AM
Joined Apr 2012
34 Posts
Radian Pro - AR600 - DX8 - RadianPro.SPM

So I finally figured it out.

To recap - I'm using the AR600 that came with the RP, a DX8 Tx, and the "RadianPro.SPM" file from the Spektrum website.

I had had the wing type wrong and I also had the servos plugged in wrong.

As for the servos, I initial had both the flaps AND the ailerons on wyes and the Wing Type set to "1 AIL, 1 FLP" but that combo was screwy. So I removed the aileron wye and plugged one aileron into AIL and the other into AX1 (can't remember which aileron went where - if it ends up backwards, then reverse them). For the wing type, after changing the aileron plug placement in the Rx, I had to switch the Wing Type to "2 AIL, 1 FLP". After using Tx Sub Trim and clevis movement to line up things, now all works as it should for basic functions. I now have good ailerons, 3 position flaps on the flaps switch, and Crow on the Gear switch when in full flaps position.

Wow! That took some screwing around

I still want to program a couple things if I can, but I am not sure if the AR600 will do it or if I need a Rx with more channels:
1.) I want to program in Reflex and Camber functions.
2.) I want to setup a mix for down elevator to throttle up (the more throttle, the more elevator I want). I am hoping that this fixes the RP's tendancy to nose up considerably when throttle is applied.

If anyone can help accomplish these goals, I would be grateful

Thanks for the help everyone.

Lance
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:25 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,761 Posts
That should be possible. You should be able to get everything except full span ailerons (flapperons).

Have you looked at the description of the .SPM file on the Spektrum Community site? All the features should work, except maybe the transmitter needs telling where the Flaps are in the switch select menu. I would imagine it thinks they are separate...

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined Apr 2012
34 Posts
SilentPilot,

When you say "that should be possible", what are you referring to? The reflex/camber question or the thr/ele mix question?

I hear you on the flapperons. I'm assuming this is due to both my flap servos being together on a wye and sharing a single Rx port?

Ps- i screwed around with the thr/ele
Mix this am but still don't have it quite right as i'm not sure what each mix parameter field does so i am really just plugging in numbers and seeing what happens. As for the SPM file, i looked at the sailplane spm but it just confused me further

Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
That should be possible. You should be able to get everything except full span ailerons (flapperons).

Have you looked at the description of the .SPM file on the Spektrum Community site? All the features should work, except maybe the transmitter needs telling where the Flaps are in the switch select menu. I would imagine it thinks they are separate...

Tony
Old Feb 25, 2013, 12:47 PM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,761 Posts
You need to look at the Radian Pro file, not the Sailplane file. The RP file is a lot easier to understand!

IIRC Reflex and Camber only work in Cruise flight mode. It is all explained in the Spektrum Community page

Throttle - Elevator mix is easy but it needs to be done trial and error, there is no way to tell just by crunching numbers how it will respond. I guess it depends on various things but mostly CoG and Thrust Angle.
Mine is quite violent at pitching up under power so I might start at 10% down and work from there...

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:21 PM
Joined Apr 2012
34 Posts
I managed to download the DX8 manual and I think I have a plan to accomplish what I want.

The manual explains the P-Mix screen as follows:
MIX:
mstr>slv
RATE: (field1) dir1, (field2) dir2 (example - up vs down or lft vs rt)
OFFSET: At what point in master travel that the slave mix kicks in.
TRIM: inh (off) or act (on) (whether or not the trim from mstr gets applied to slv)
SWITCH: on or <sw>. Allows you to set mix to on for "always active" or to a <sw> on your Tx (depends on your Tx and what switches it has. Assigning the mix to a switch allows you to enable/disable the mix at will.)

So...

I think mine (always on) will look like:
MIX: thr>ele
RATE: 10%/10% (will have to play with this number through flight testing)
OFFSET: 30% (30-50% but will have to play with this number through flight testing. I believe that I will only need this mix with mid- to upper-throttle ranges.)
TRIM: inh (not sure about this one exactly... thinking inh though)
SW: on (on to start - may or may not put on a switch later...)

Will test later and see if I have this correct (at least the concept, maybe not the values...). I'm really surprised that my Google and RCG searches did not turn up an explanation for this exact mixing. If anyone has this exact mix and you'd like to share the values that you use with the Radian Pro, I'd appreciate it. I'm using the stock power system and the stock Parkzone 1300mah battery.

@silentpilot - 10-4 on your 10% down value. Thanks.

Thanks everyone.

Lance
Last edited by lancew; Feb 25, 2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Apr 2012
34 Posts
Setup my throttle-to-elevator mix and put it on my Flight Mode switch at pos1. Works great with the exception of the Offset value. I couldn't really see the offset working correctly but maybe it's because I'm only asking for a small movement of 10% on the elevator... who knows. Probably works good enough. I also wanted to put it on my AUX3 rotary switch in case I wanted to use the Flight Mode switch later but that switch choice wasn't available in the list under the Mix4 setup screen. Will probably just leave it like it is and test it out tomorrow. Conditions were perfect today but I ran out of time - a decently steady light breeze blowing... darn!

Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancew View Post
I managed to download the DX8 manual and I think I have a plan to accomplish what I want.

The manual explains the P-Mix screen as follows:
MIX:
mstr>slv
RATE: (field1) dir1, (field2) dir2 (example - up vs down or lft vs rt)
OFFSET: At what point in master travel that the slave mix kicks in.
TRIM: inh (off) or act (on) (whether or not the trim from mstr gets applied to slv)
SWITCH: on or <sw>. Allows you to set mix to on for "always active" or to a <sw> on your Tx (depends on your Tx and what switches it has. Assigning the mix to a switch allows you to enable/disable the mix at will.)

So...

I think mine (always on) will look like:
MIX: thr>ele
RATE: 10%/10% (will have to play with this number through flight testing)
OFFSET: 30% (30-50% but will have to play with this number through flight testing. I believe that I will only need this mix with mid- to upper-throttle ranges.)
TRIM: inh (not sure about this one exactly... thinking inh though)
SW: on (on to start - may or may not put on a switch later...)

Will test later and see if I have this correct (at least the concept, maybe not the values...). I'm really surprised that my Google and RCG searches did not turn up an explanation for this exact mixing. If anyone has this exact mix and you'd like to share the values that you use with the Radian Pro, I'd appreciate it. I'm using the stock power system and the stock Parkzone 1300mah battery.

@silentpilot - 10-4 on your 10% down value. Thanks.

Thanks everyone.

Lance
Old Feb 26, 2013, 02:12 AM
BMFA 190658
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,761 Posts
Good luck with the flight tests!

I believe the rotary dial needs to be assigned to a channel in the setup menu. I normally save the dial for landing flap to give precise control, though like I say I've not got round to using my DX8 yet so not sure exactly how to go about that...

Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
34 Posts
Everything is working except reflex, so that's good enough for me! The next step is to go fly it

Thanks for your input Tony.

Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
Good luck with the flight tests!

I believe the rotary dial needs to be assigned to a channel in the setup menu. I normally save the dial for landing flap to give precise control, though like I say I've not got round to using my DX8 yet so not sure exactly how to go about that...

Tony