HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 01, 2012, 05:26 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
This book sound like a must have but the best price I can find for it delivered to Australia is $80. For a $16 paperback this is a bit much. Shame.
Sounds like you need better friends State-side
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2012, 10:06 AM
Registered User
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2004
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watdazit View Post
This book sound like a must have but the best price I can find for it delivered to Australia is $80. For a $16 paperback this is a bit much. Shame.
Watdazit

Just ordered this book http://carstensbookstore.
com/oldbusobobyd.html

Price was USD$33.95 shipped to New Zealand.
Shouldn't be more to you.
Leohoy is offline Find More Posts by Leohoy
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:49 PM
A geriatric flier
Watdazit's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leohoy View Post
Watdazit

Just ordered this book http://carstensbookstore.
com/oldbusobobyd.html

Price was USD$33.95 shipped to New Zealand.
Shouldn't be more to you.
Thanks for that. It was the same cost for shipping to Oz. They must know New Zealand is a state of Australia. Funnily I added the other soaring book and the shipping cost doubled????
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 02, 2012, 05:53 PM
A geriatric flier
Watdazit's Avatar
Australia, NSW, Braidwood
Joined Nov 2008
939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Sounds like you need better friends State-side
I have thousands of friends Stateside and New Zealand. They are all on RCGroups.com.
Watdazit is offline Find More Posts by Watdazit
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2010
308 Posts
I was kite boarding a while back, and Lost my Right leg and knee-brace.
Another kite-boarder, put on his diving tanks and retrieved it for me.

I want to teach him to fly a glider and have all the JR trainer cord
equipment to with.

Would this be an OK glider to teach with ? The leg he retrieved was
worth a Lot of money so i Don't want to buy him a (POS) ! I also don't
mind spending the time to teach him as long as he ends up with a decent
glider that he can enjoy for a while.

Thanks Bille
BilleFly is offline Find More Posts by BilleFly
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:07 PM
Registered User
United States, PA, Meadville
Joined Feb 2011
190 Posts
New Owner's buying advice: hindsight is 20/20

I have always been told and had done the math to demonstrate that when it comes to Parkzone the BNF was the better deal than the PNP because you basically got the battery and charger for very little cost.
So this is the way I went when buying my new Radian Pro.
The reason why I now wish I had gone a different route is that
I discovered that the AR600 receiver included in the BNF does not offer a preset failsafe option.
For the other new guys out there, preset failsafe allows you to set up what you want to happen when you lose connection with the receiver. For example, crow braking with some rudder and no throttle. So hopefully the plane will circle and slow and lose altitude rather than thermal away into the sunset.

The Radian manual blithely gives instructions for exactly how to achieve this programming leaving the new owner completely in the dark as to why it wont implement with the provided equipment.
Pardon me please if I feel that Parkzone dropped the ball here, I would have never hesitated to spend the extra money for a BNF with an appropriate receiver.
So my advice to other new guys who are on the fence about PNP vs. BNF:
do some more research before you pull the trigger, perhaps getting the PNP with an AR7000 receiver would be the best for you.

I think the decision to include the AR600 was probably made with the assumption that the buyer would not have the capabilities offered by a computerized radio for crow,camber and reflex even though they make a pretty big deal of it on the box cover.
If this helps one person I'll be happy.
davovinch is offline Find More Posts by davovinch
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:43 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
It also would have been nice to have 7ch instead of 6ch so you could take full advantage with full wing camber changing/flaperons. I wanted a PnP but they were backordered so I took the BnF the LHS had. The battery and charger remain in the box with the original ESC

Quote:
Originally Posted by davovinch View Post
I have always been told and had done the math to demonstrate that when it comes to Parkzone the BNF was the better deal than the PNP because you basically got the battery and charger for very little cost.
So this is the way I went when buying my new Radian Pro.
The reason why I now wish I had gone a different route is that
I discovered that the AR600 receiver included in the BNF does not offer a preset failsafe option.
For the other new guys out there, preset failsafe allows you to set up what you want to happen when you lose connection with the receiver. For example, crow braking with some rudder and no throttle. So hopefully the plane will circle and slow and lose altitude rather than thermal away into the sunset.

The Radian manual blithely gives instructions for exactly how to achieve this programming leaving the new owner completely in the dark as to why it wont implement with the provided equipment.
Pardon me please if I feel that Parkzone dropped the ball here, I would have never hesitated to spend the extra money for a BNF with an appropriate receiver.
So my advice to other new guys who are on the fence about PNP vs. BNF:
do some more research before you pull the trigger, perhaps getting the PNP with an AR7000 receiver would be the best for you.

I think the decision to include the AR600 was probably made with the assumption that the buyer would not have the capabilities offered by a computerized radio for crow,camber and reflex even though they make a pretty big deal of it on the box cover.
If this helps one person I'll be happy.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:17 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
I got the PnP version myself and use a Futaba Rx.
The mixes offered by my 10CG are far better than the DX8...

Had a nice half hour flight with it last night which barely tickled the battery!
Very nice to have her flying again after the Rudder repair.

Has anyone flown the RP with the Spektrum .spm file? The R617 is too big really so I might try an AR8000.


Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:50 AM
NE Texas, USA
Joined Jan 2011
314 Posts
Why don't you try the Orange branded RXs with remote? After 3 inexplicable and rather spectacular crashes with the Spektrum products, I finally got smart and replaced them.. Now, after more than a year of flying with the Orange 8 channel in a full house configuration with nary an issue, I finally sold the rest of my Spektrum RXs..
I know I will be thrashed for bashing a Spektrum but, for me they just didn't live up to their hype..
Patchitagain is offline Find More Posts by Patchitagain
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:01 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
I use Orange myself but only have the 6ch versions.

The RP needs 7 if I am to keep the 2 flap configuration. That said though, I may put the flaps on a Y lead. The Cularis that I had needed the flaps to act as full span ailerons or it was a complete pig to fly. This RP on the other hand can be flown with the flap/aileron mix off quite nicely.


Tony
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:26 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
It also would have been nice to have 7ch instead of 6ch so you could take full advantage with full wing camber changing/flaperons. I wanted a PnP but they were backordered so I took the BnF the LHS had. The battery and charger remain in the box with the original ESC
I presume that is a limitation of your radio. Some radios can do full wing camber on a 6 channel receiver. I can put the second aileron on ch5 on my Futaba 9C. Perhaps your radio has a similar ability that you have not explored.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Feb 12, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:35 AM
BMFA 190658
SilentPilot's Avatar
United Kingdom, Yeadon
Joined Mar 2007
4,665 Posts
You need a 7ch Rx so there is room for all the servos.
(6 servos & ESC)
SilentPilot is offline Find More Posts by SilentPilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone Ka8 telemetry install
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:42 AM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
I presume that is a limitation of your radio. Some radios can do full wing camber on a 6 channel receiver.
I can do full camber with the flaps on the Y (check out my crow deploy video) but I can't do full span ailerons. That takes splitting the flap channels. My 8103 has done them in other models over the years. The limitation is the 6ch Rx provided in the BnF packaging (throttle, rudder, elevator, left aileron, right aileron, flaps on Y)

I've just been too lazy to wedge my other Spektrum Rx and satellite in there. It would be a tight fit and with the season winding down I focused on getting the camera work I rushed the purchase for done and doing the prop testing. My CF replacement wing tube arrived after the season ended. I reworked the wing hinges to get full crow and don't have a problem with the aileron roll rate for what I plan on doing with the plane

FYI: I competed in thermal duration during the 80s and early 90s culminating in the 1992 Nats. Work and life drifted me away from dragging winches and retrievers out to the field. one of my competition buddies I had lost touch with showed up at a non-glider contest and flew a RP before the start and I knew I needed to get one
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:43 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot View Post
You need a 7ch Rx so there is room for all the servos.
(6 servos & ESC)
No you don't. Not if the flaps are on a Y cable. With flaps on a Y you can do everything but full span ailerons, which you don't really need. Camber, reflex, crow if you like, are all possible with a Y cable on the flaps.

Ail - 2
Rud - 1
Ele - 1
Flaps - 1
Motor - 1

6 channels is all you need.

If one of the servos needs to be reversed you use a reversing Y cable
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAFN1&P=ML

If flap only camber and reflex are OK, you can do it on 5.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:51 AM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
It also would have been nice to have 7ch instead of 6ch so you could take full advantage with full wing camber changing/flaperons. I wanted a PnP but they were backordered so I took the BnF the LHS had. The battery and charger remain in the box with the original ESC
Which is what I meant when I said flaperons... full span ailerons = 7ch
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Radian Pro, rumours, leaks and new info! Bowerz Electric Sailplanes 27 Nov 23, 2010 03:18 PM
For Sale Parkzone Radian PNP like new with batt $125 jzanutto Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Sep 28, 2010 03:25 PM
Discussion ParkZone's P-51 Gunfighter Discussion Thread [NOT the PZ P-51 Complaints Thread] dabesq Electric Warbirds 184 Jan 19, 2010 11:21 AM
Discussion Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post Discussion Large Cabin Cruser buil Jolly Roger 1 Scale Boats 0 Jan 06, 2010 12:43 PM
Wanted Multiplex EasyGlider Pro/Cularis PNP/BNF or Parkzone Radian Sid3ways Aircraft - Sailplanes (FS/W) 6 Jul 21, 2009 09:36 PM