Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:25 AM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Oct 2009
58 Posts
Radian Thermal Pro next..

The actual Radian Pro is one edition which will be launched.

There will be as well a "Radian Thermal Pro" coming soon:

- Increased wingspan (app. 3m that's what we want ))
- Lightweight wing design with less flex
- New fuselage
- Etc.

Looking forward to see it.
RECORDCAP is offline Find More Posts by RECORDCAP
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:27 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca View Post
Sure would be great if someone who has a Pro would post a pic of the fuselage reinforcement(s)! That's one mod sorely needed, and one I'd like to do, on the now-lowly "plain" Radian.

Aeronca
Great idea! Yes, I'd like to implement the factory solution as well.

David at HH > please provide your core enthusiasts (best marketing gurus you have) with the factory details, photos and solutions. Of course it might mean that I have to buy a Radian Pro fuselage and convert my existing wings (or another set) to fit, but let's have it!

Also, [while I'm asking] Any possibility of the new fuselage design improvements making their way into the Radian first gen? wing mountings, reinforcements, control fittings? TIA.
studioRS is online now Find More Posts by studioRS
Old Sep 24, 2010, 11:58 AM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
DO YOU NEED A SAILPLANE RADIO?

You can fly the Radian Pro on a Dx5e and an AR500 receiver.
Your wrong there i believe. If you eman it comes with an Ar500, that would be wrong as the BNF has a new AR600. If you mean it is possilbe to use and AR500 in it if you buy the PNP, then yes you are right there. And to get the proper crowing etc, you need a DX6i which is what it is flown with in the promo video.
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:01 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowerz View Post
Your wrong there i believe. If you eman it comes with an Ar500, that would be wrong as the BNF has a new AR600. If you mean it is possilbe to use and AR500 in it if you buy the PNP, then yes you are right there. And to get the proper crowing etc, you need a DX6i which is what it is flown with in the promo video.
That is what I meant. I was talking primarily about the minimum that could be used to fly a full house e-glider. This is not the set-up I would recommend, but it should work.

And, I would expect the DX5e would work with an AR600 as well. The specs say you need "A 5+ Channel DSM2 compatible Transmitter" to fly the plane. I read that as 5 or more channels. Well the DX5e is the only 5 channel radio that Spekturm and Horizon sell, that I know of, so that tells me that the DX5e will work with the BnF package too.

Have you changed DSM2 in some way so this combo will not work? Can you clarify?

As to the video, I was not aware that a DX6i was used in the video. There is no indication of that. Frankly I assumed it was a DX7.

Getting this mixing working with a DX6i is outstanding! I would not have thought that would be possible with a DX6i. I have read reports that DX7 users have difficulty doing this.

I hope that Horizon/Spektrum/Parkzone will publish the settings for crow mixing, reflex and camber as well as landing mixes for the for DX6i users to make it easy for them to program their set-ups. And I would like to share that with others who have felt the DX6i just could not do this.

This is very exciting.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:29 PM
No, I dont work for HH ;)
Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2009
3,685 Posts
Hi Aeajr,

No you are right there, but just remember that some of the useful programmes/functions are not present in the DX5e so i personally wouldn't recommend flying with that radio, how ever it is possible even with the AR600 as like you say, they are both DSM2.

Just after 55 seconds in as well you see the guy hand launch it, looks to be a DX6i to me? OR possibly a DX8

Liam
Bowerz is offline Find More Posts by Bowerz
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:32 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,007 Posts
We are in complete agreement. What is possible ( DX5e ) may not be preferable. Clearly a computer radio would be preferable.

Can you or someone else publish the program set-up for the DX6i that was used?
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:41 PM
The SteamRoller
USA, CA, Fort Bragg
Joined Oct 2009
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
The PnP version doesn't have an RX installed. So you would need to install the RX of your choice.

Diggs
So the servos are installed, just no Rx?

Thanks again Diggs!
thesteam is offline Find More Posts by thesteam
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:47 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
Too bad it's so heavy. Wings are 10% longer than EZ Glider, but Radian Pro weighs 20% more. What is the Radian pro's wing loading?
I own a EZ Star and have been waiting for a radian with ailerons...

Radian Pro Specifications:
Wingspan: 78.5in (2000mm)
Overall Length: 45.0 in (1140mm)
Flying Weight: 34.6oz (980g)

EZ Glider Pro:
SPECS: Wingspan: 71" (180.3cm)
Length: 43.7" (112.3cm)
Flying Weight: 28.5oz (810g) with standard power system
Wing Loading: 6.5 oz sq ft (20 g sq/dm) with standard power system
Wing Area: FAI approx. 226 sq in (41.6g/sq dm)
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
Old Sep 24, 2010, 12:54 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block View Post
Too bad it's so heavy. Wings are 10% longer than EZ Glider, but Radian Pro weighs 20% more. What is the Radian pro's wing loading?
I own a EZ Star and have been waiting for a radian with ailerons...

Radian Pro Specifications:
Wingspan: 78.5in (2000mm)
Overall Length: 45.0 in (1140mm)
Flying Weight: 34.6oz (980g)

EZ Glider Pro:
SPECS: Wingspan: 71" (180.3cm)
Length: 43.7" (112.3cm)
Flying Weight: 28.5oz (810g) with standard power system
Wing Loading: 6.5 oz sq ft (20 g sq/dm) with standard power system
Wing Area: FAI approx. 226 sq in (41.6g/sq dm)
Remember the Radian has a larger wing, almost 79 inches and larger wing area as compared to the EG Pro. It also has flaps which the EG does not.

My EGE weighs 32 ounces with a 2 cell Lipo. I would be surprised to see many under 30 ounces. But I guess it is possible. We have several in the club and none are under 32 ounces.

I would expect the Radian Pro to have a comparable or ligher wing loading to the Easy Glider Pro electric with the standard power set-up. Of course very few EG pilots use the standard power set-up shown in the specs. Tower Hobbies doesn't even carry that power set-up.

I think 34 ounces is an excellen weight for a 2M full house e-glider.
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 24, 2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:22 PM
Balsa + glue + bluesky= fun
Phoenix AZ USA
Joined Jan 2009
815 Posts
I programmed a 6 servo sailplane with a DX7. What a hassle. Took a few tries and some head scratching to get it to work. If you do it don't be afraid to create several new models in memory till you get one that works pretty good. Got a 400 dollar Tx now, so much easier. Having each servo on it's own channel makes fine tuning/trimming easy too. The down side to a bona fide sailplane Tx is that learning a new radio can be a challenge.

The Pro looks to be a hit. Thanks HH.
leaktech is offline Find More Posts by leaktech
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:43 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RECORDCAP View Post
The actual Radian Pro is one edition which will be launched.

There will be as well a "Radian Thermal Pro" coming soon:

- Increased wingspan (app. 3m that's what we want ))
- Lightweight wing design with less flex
- New fuselage
- Etc.

Looking forward to see it.
And this info on the Thermal Pro comes from.....?
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:50 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,007 Posts
I doubt you will see a 3M Radian in Zfoam EVER.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 01:59 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Oct 2009
58 Posts
You will see,
sure not solely made out of foam it will flex but the combination with structural elements will give the strength at low weight be surprised soon...
RECORDCAP is offline Find More Posts by RECORDCAP
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:07 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Block View Post
What is the Radian pro's wing loading?
Not published or can't find it.

I wondered also. Using the simple minded approach I estimated the wing loading at just over 7 oz 7.37 (vs apprx 6.3 oz/sqft for the stock Rad) and the wing area to be slightly larger at .436 sq meters (vs .400)

Details below:
I think the RadPro wing chord is larger based on pics and also the published CG of the new plane wrt to the Radian.
Rad CG 63 mm
RadPro CG 70 mm
The Rad chord is 0.196 m. or close to that.
Both have the same airfoil according to reports. Assuming roughly the same ratio of CG location to chord as in the Radian (! probably a bad assumption, but that's all I got), the RadPro would have a chord of:
(70*0.196)/63 = 0.218 m. Close to an inch?
So the wing area would be .218 times 2 meters = 0.436 sq meters
The Radian is approximately(!) .408 sq meters
So the wing loading is 980 grams/.436 sq meters = 2248 grams/sq meter = 79.3 oz/10.76 sq ft = 7.37 oz/sq ft.
The Radian at 27 oz stock weight has approx 1 oz/sq ft less than that.
(assuming my math and assumptions are correct!!)
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman
Old Sep 24, 2010, 02:16 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Jul 2009
140 Posts
Got one on pre-order through my LHS.
Loved my Gentle Lady...Love my Radian
Never flown more than 3 channels and excited to get into it with one of those modern computer radio thingies and this lovely transition floater/sloper/plane.

FANTASTICALLY helpful articles and refences in this thread already on a whole new field with new terms. My thanks.

Boy do I feel like a target market and I'm loving it...

Fred
Metman is offline Find More Posts by Metman