HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:13 PM
Your user title is suggestive,
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
In post 1595 Xptical says he uses a 11X and his friend uses a DX7.
I used a DX7 for quite a while, upgraded to a 9303 (which I loved), and now have a 11x that I'm trying not to hate.

Anyway, use the setup posted here:

http://www.rc-soar.com/spektrum/index.htm

You *will* need a 7 channel RX to do these setups. And you will have to make some trade-offs between CROW and flap/aileron mixing. IMHO, you are better off with CROW vice flap/aileron mixing.

Also, move those control horn positions. You guys should be able to get 50+ degrees on the flaps. The Radian dropping at 1500 feet per minute while slowing down is a thing of beauty. Now if I could just get her to climb at 1500 f/m.
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:24 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Sep 2008
3,329 Posts
Just got my radian pro today from the hobby shop. Anyone care to tell me again how to take the warp out of ailerons? Hot water or something.
twistedgrim is offline Find More Posts by twistedgrim
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:50 PM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Hot water works. I just taped mine into a kinda counter-warp and left it for the weekend. It was crappy weather so it's not like I was going to fly anyway.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:54 PM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
[ You should also set up snap-flap on the same switch. Look for elev > flap mixing. Up elevator should give down flaps. You want maybe 1/4" of down flap at full up elevator. ]

Xptical: You went right over my head on that one!
Snap flap drops the flaps a bit when you apply up elevator. The theory is that increasing the camber of the wing increases the lift. This means you need less elevator travel to hold a turn. Less elevator travel means less drag and less angle of attack on the wings.

Anyways, it's a good thing. Snap flaps are totally wizzard...

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Xptical: I am totally confused; I dont want to be a PITA; just need some correction from a pro. As you stated in post 1606:

"Anyway, use the setup posted here:"http://www.rc-soar.com/spektrum/index.htm

"STEP 2: Connect the Servos"
The table below shows the servo assignments. The wing servos are shown in purple - chs 2 and 6 are assigned to the inner surfaces ('flaps'), while chs 5 and 7 are assigned to the outer surfaces ('ailerons').

Rx Channel Connect this Servo
1 THRO Throttle
2 AILE Right Inner (flap)
3 ELE Elevator
4 RUDD Rudder
5 GEAR Left Outer (aileron)
6 FLAP Left Inner (flap)
7 AUX2 Right Outer (aileron)

Note that on my DX7 the screen when you press the select button for servo plug connections, the sequence is:

1. Thro
2. Aileron (I assume right side?)
3. Elev
4. Rudd
5. Gear ( I think this is for FLAP which the r-c.com reference above STATES left AIL) I dont know if this is right or left FLAP.......or AIL ???
6. Flap ( Same as indicated in the r-c.com reference above); Is this right or left?
7. Aux 2 ( r-c.com indicates above that this position is right aileron...should this be right or left aileron????

My AR7000 rx has these positions printed above each connection:

1. Thro
2. Ail
3. Elev
4. Rudd
5. Gear
6. Aux 1
7. Aux 2

This has me completely confused. On top of that, Horizon told me that GEAR is right wing flap, AUX 1 is the left wing flap and AUX 2 is the left wing aileron.

If anyone has correctly completed these connections and they work as they should, could you label the correct connections (left or right) for the AR7000 rx above.

I sincerely appreciate your kind assistance.......
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:21 AM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
Xptical: I am totally confused; I dont want to be a PITA; just need some correction from a pro. As you stated in post 1606:

"Anyway, use the setup posted here:"http://www.rc-soar.com/spektrum/index.htm

"STEP 2: Connect the Servos"
The table below shows the servo assignments. The wing servos are shown in purple - chs 2 and 6 are assigned to the inner surfaces ('flaps'), while chs 5 and 7 are assigned to the outer surfaces ('ailerons').

Rx Channel Connect this Servo
1 THRO Throttle
2 AILE Right Inner (flap)
3 ELE Elevator
4 RUDD Rudder
5 GEAR Left Outer (aileron)
6 FLAP Left Inner (flap)
7 AUX2 Right Outer (aileron)

Note that on my DX7 the screen when you press the select button for servo plug connections, the sequence is:

1. Thro
2. Aileron (I assume right side?)
3. Elev
4. Rudd
5. Gear ( I think this is for FLAP which the r-c.com reference above STATES left AIL) I dont know if this is right or left FLAP.......or AIL ???
6. Flap ( Same as indicated in the r-c.com reference above); Is this right or left?
7. Aux 2 ( r-c.com indicates above that this position is right aileron...should this be right or left aileron????

My AR7000 rx has these positions printed above each connection:

1. Thro
2. Ail
3. Elev
4. Rudd
5. Gear
6. Aux 1
7. Aux 2

This has me completely confused. On top of that, Horizon told me that GEAR is right wing flap, AUX 1 is the left wing flap and AUX 2 is the left wing aileron.

If anyone has correctly completed these connections and they work as they should, could you label the correct connections (left or right) for the AR7000 rx above.

I sincerely appreciate your kind assistance.......
First off, admit that Horizon, JR, and Spektrum are a bunch of idiots.

The throttle channel should be labeled CH1 and that goes on down the line through CH7.

Hey, Spektrum/JR: DON'T EVER LABEL A RX WITH GOSH-DARN SURFACE NAMES! It just confuses people.

Anyway, just completely abandon the stuff from JR/Spektrum and go solely on the link I provided. CH1 is *usually* labeled THRO down through AUX2 which is CH7.

Just to show you how meaningless the RX names are, on my 9303 and 11x, you use THRO and AILE for the two outboard ailerons. The actual ESC plugs into GEAR or AUX3.

Now, where's my Sharpie so I can correct Spektrum/JR's dumbness?
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:25 AM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Oh, in answer to your question, it seems they RC Soar has this:

2 AILE Right FLAP
5 GEAR Left AILERON
6 FLAP Left FLAP
7 AUX2 Right AILERON

I'll grab my buddies' DX7 this afternoon and confirm that it works as RC-Soar says it does. But at this point, I have no reason to doubt RC-Soar and every reason to doubt anything JR/Spektrum says.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 07:36 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xptical View Post
@1911tex

I think if you use the AILE>RUDD mixing, you can set it as a toggle on the RUDD D/R switch. It should be called SW: MIX and you can see it toggle on and off as you flip the switch.

As you go into CROW, if the rudder moves as a slave of the AILE channel (which is what I'd expect), just remember to toggle off the A>R mixing.

As always, the MONITOR screen is your friend. Look at what moves and adjust accordingly.
Xptical, what radio are you talking about? I think you are discussing DX7, but your posts are not clear about this. Are you saying that activating crow will move the rudder to follow one of the ailerons? I would find this highly surprising and somewhat dangerous.

I would doubt this would be the case but I don't have a Spektrum radio or a JR radio. But I think you are incorrect. I would not want new glider pilots confused by this.

Can anyone who has one of these radios comment on this? I don't think this is true.

Normally the master is an input device. We may speak of ailerons as master, but what we really mean is the maser is the aileron input device which controls a channel. The right stick channel is master and the slave is the channel that has the rudder. So master is a device, not a surface.

So aileron-rudder mixing is driven from the right stick only. It is actually channel slaved to channel, not surface to surface.

In Crow, ailerons are not master, they are slaved to a master input device, in this case a switch. The switch has a number of slave channels including the 2 aileron channels and the flaps and perhaps the elevator too. If the ailerons are the slave, as they would be in crow, then the rudder channel should not be affected at all.

Can someone verify this is how it works on the Spektrum radios?

BTW, I do use A-R mixing on my full house sailplanes and I do have it on a switch, but that is so I can turn it on and off for convenience. Normally I have A-R mxing on when I am cruising. But I sometimes like to turn it off when I am working a thermal so I can have better control of the rudder rather than having it working at a fixed %. And I have never had to turn it off in order to activate crow.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 06, 2011 at 07:54 AM.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 08:11 AM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Xptical, what radio are you talking about? I think you are discussing DX7, but your posts are not clear about this. Are you saying that activating crow will move the rudder to follow one of the ailerons? I would find this highly surprising and somewhat dangerous.

I would doubt this would be the case but I don't have a Spektrum radio or a JR radio. But I think you are incorrect. I would not want new glider pilots confused by this.

Can anyone who has one of these radios comment on this? I don't think this is true.

Normally the master is an input device. We may speak of ailerons as master, but what we really mean is the maser is the aileron input device which controls a channel. The right stick channel is master and the slave is the channel that has the rudder. So master is a device, not a surface.

So aileron-rudder mixing is driven from the right stick only. It is actually channel slaved to channel, not surface to surface.

In Crow, ailerons are not master, they are slaved to a master input device, in this case a switch. The switch has a number of slave channels including the 2 aileron channels and the flaps and perhaps the elevator too. If the ailerons are the slave, as they would be in crow, then the rudder channel should not be affected at all.

Can someone verify this is how it works on the Spektrum radios?

BTW, I do use A-R mixing on my full house sailplanes and I do have it on a switch, but that is so I can turn it on and off for convenience. Normally I have A-R mxing on when I am cruising. But I sometimes like to turn it off when I am working a thermal so I can have better control of the rudder rather than having it working at a fixed %. And I have never had to turn it off in order to activate crow.
Sorry. I must have been off my rocker when I wrote that.

As you stated, the slave happens off the stick input, not the channel output.

So, there is really no need to disable A>R mixing when you enter CROW.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:14 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
aeajr:
It is nice to have a streamer like the 72 mhz radios had. It is useful to see wind direction and in detecting thermals. Now that I have 2.4 radios, what would be a good way to put a streamer on the radio? A 72 mhz antenna or a CF rod could be taped or velcroed on to the side of the radio, but maybe that would interfere with the signal. Do others use a wood dowel or plastic rod? How do they fasten it to the radio? I see other at the AMA field looking around to see the wind sock, but it seemed a lot better with the streamer on the antenna. No need to take the eyes off the model to see the streamer.
egull
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:18 AM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
aeajr:
It is nice to have a streamer like the 72 mhz radios had. It is useful to see wind direction and in detecting thermals. Now that I have 2.4 radios, what would be a good way to put a streamer on the radio? A 72 mhz antenna or a CF rod could be taped or velcroed on to the side of the radio, but maybe that would interfere with the signal. Do others use a wood dowel or plastic rod? How do they fasten it to the radio?
egull
Some DLG guys tear apart old VCR tapes and place 20' or so on the end of 5' poles. The poles are placed around the flying field.

By looking at the streamers, you can visualize thermal activity.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:22 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,333 Posts
Quote:
aeajr:
It is nice to have a streamer like the 72 mhz radios had. It is useful to see wind direction and in detecting thermals. Now that I have 2.4 radios, what would be a good way to put a streamer on the radio? A 72 mhz antenna or a CF rod could be taped or velcroed on to the side of the radio, but maybe that would interfere with the signal. Do others use a wood dowel or plastic rod? How do they fasten it to the radio? I see other at the AMA field looking around to see the wind sock, but it seemed a lot better with the streamer on the antenna. No need to take the eyes off the model to see the streamer.
egull
Any of the methods you mention would be fine.

For those 72 MHz guys who converted, tape the antenna to the side or back of the radio but out of the "view" of the 2.4 antenna. Stretch it up and put on the streamer.

Your 2.4 GHz antenna should be turned flat so the side of it faces the plane. That is your best signal configuration. The 72 MHz antenna, or dowel or whatever, will be in the blind spot at the bottom of the 2.4 antennna and shouldn't bother anything.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:25 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Thanks Xptical and aeajr.

egull
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:44 AM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,078 Posts
Quote:
aeajr:
egull
There was a product that I cant seem to find. It attached a mount to the back of the radio, ran a rod that was long as the 72mhz antennas and put a flag on the end. But I cant seem to find it.
verticalspark is online now Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Trinidad Scorpion
Old Jan 06, 2011, 01:30 PM
Joined Oct 2009
553 Posts
I like a windsock or two placed around the field so I can see what the wind is doing 'over there'. But I can't believe people are actually comtemplating ADDING a long antenna to their 2.4 TXs just for a wind streamer. I can sense the direction of wind flowing past my body without any visual aids. A streamer on the TX isn't gonna give you any more info than that.

To each their own of course.

........Mike
MS_in_NY is offline Find More Posts by MS_in_NY