AUX2: 3P SW
FLAP: SYSTEM
FLAPERON: OFF
D/R COM ELEV

D/R: YOUR CHOICE
REVERSING: AS NEEDED
SUB TRIM: ALL 0
TRAVEL ADJUST: ALL 150% EXCEPT THROTTLE
ELEV>FLAP MIX (ALSO KNOWN AS SNAP-FLAP) SW:MIX (THIS WILL BE THE RUDD D/R SW)
U: 20%
D: 0%

When you pull up elevator, you want *some* down flap. When you push down elevator, you want no flap travel.

AILE>RUDD: 50% SW: MIX

Again, this will be on the RUDD D/R switch. Some rudder will be added to the ailerons to tighten up turning. *Very* useful on a poly ship like the Radian.

FLAP SYS: ALL 0% FOR NOW

DIFFERENTIAL: ALL 0% (THE RADIAN PRO HAS AILE DIFF BUILT INTO THE SYSTEM)

Now, go to the MONITOR screen and toggle the 3-position switch. You should see no movement on the FLAP channel.

At this point, go back to the FLAP SYS menu and plug in the airplane. Move the toggle to NORM (look at the upper-right corner) and then adjust the NORM values until the flaps are where you want them.

On NORM, you usually want a touch of reflex, maybe 3mm up flap.
On MID, you want a touch of down, maybe 3mm down flap.
On LAND, you want as much as you can get.

The ELEV setting helps to stop balooning. You want a touch of up elevator in NORM, a touch of down in MID, and a lot of down in LAND.
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:39 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I have seen a lot of posts describing climb or lack thereof and seen videos of them gliding and motoring around, but has anyone caught a thermal with the Radian Pro? With the rudder mix to ailerons does the glider make and hold thermal turns well both wide and small?
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:46 AM
Sic transit gloria
Rushmore Academy
Joined Sep 2008
161 Posts
I've been thinking about buying a 9CAP in order to add more functionality for my radian. I wanted to get camber, reflex, full trailing edge control and was wondering if you all thought it was worth it?
Thanks
MAX FISCHER is offline Find More Posts by MAX FISCHER
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:49 AM
Your user title is suggestive,
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
I have seen a lot of posts describing climb or lack thereof and seen videos of them gliding and motoring around, but has anyone caught a thermal with the Radian Pro? With the rudder mix to ailerons does the glider make and hold thermal turns well both wide and small?
I have yet to hit a thermal with my Pro. I have hit a number of thermals with my DLGs however.

The radian does, indeed, climb like a drunken monkey. It seems like they equipped the Radian like any sport trainer. But in a sailplane, I would expect almost vertical climbs of 30 seconds to get to altitude. I think 1000' per minute would be reasonable. I think I see more like 600' per minute with the stock setup.

As for slaving rudder to the ailerons, this won't help you hold in a thermal. Most of the thermals I have hit require rudder and aileron to start the turn, then elevator and *some* rudder to maintain the turn. On a well-honed DLG, you are using almost pure elevator once the turn is established.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 08:58 AM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX FISCHER View Post
I've been thinking about buying a 9CAP in order to add more functionality for my radian. I wanted to get camber, reflex, full trailing edge control and was wondering if you all thought it was worth it?
Thanks
Not for the Radian. I use an 11X and my friend used a DX7. The only mix I have that he wants is CROW. And I think you can hack CROW onto a DX7 as long as you have a *real* receiver.

http://www.rc-soar.com/spektrum/index.htm

One thing I love about the X11 over the DX7 is that I can use my throttle stick as a mode-dependent device. In LAUNCH, the throttle stick operates the throttle. In LAND, the throttle stick operates CROW.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:51 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
23,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX FISCHER View Post
Thanks
The 9C is the earlier version. The 9C super is the updated version.

9CH is the Heli verson. 9CA is the airplane version. I had a pair of 9CHs. When the Super came out I upgraded to a pair of 9CA Supers. I like the switch placement better on the H , but it is not a big deal. If I were to do it again I would get 9CH supers.

Both 9Cs are legitimate sailplane radios, but the super has some additional features. For the sport pilot either is fine. If you are looking toward competition I would point you toward the Super.

Setting up a full house glider on the 9C or super is pretty easy. All the mixes are pre defined. I don't use any user mixes at all and there are plenty available. It is just a little easier and a little more flexible in the super.

The Futaba 9C/super are no longer made, so you are buying used. However because they were so popular there are a lot out there. They are very inexpensive for what you get. I have seen them for under $200 for the basic radio and packages that had all kinds of stuff in it for $300.

Because I am a competition pilot I have a matched pair so if anything goes wrong with one I can switch to the other. I dropped one down the stairs during a two day contest. I would have been out if I did not have the back-up radio. I continued to fly while one was at Futaba being fixed. Also having two radios makes is VERY easy to eliminate the radio itself as the cause of a problem. Switch radios. If the problem goes away, it is the radio, if not, it is not the radio.

Normally I have one set up on 72 MHz and one is set-up with a Spektrum 2.4 GHz module. I have a mix of receivers. I can switch back and forth with ease.

The radio has a removeable model memory card so I can take models from one radio and transfer to the other easily. Model memories are virutally unlimited. You just buy another memory card. I have plenty of room to grow. I have several 8 and one 24 model memory cards. They are available in 64 and 200+ sizes too.

Overall I like the 9C. I think the JR 9303/9503 has more features and is an overall better competition radio, but as an advanced sport radio, or entry level competition radio I think the 9Cs are great! I have no plans to replace them.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 05, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:33 AM
Joined Aug 2010
359 Posts
internal resistance

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
How are you measuring the resisitance of your lipos?
It would have to be calculated and to be accurate you would have to have some good resistance standards. Not really a useful measurement to make but usefull for explaining what happens inside a battery.

While I am here. My wife wants the lipos out of the house...she has read some fire warnings on this sight and others. My only storage area is an unheated barn what happens to them at sub freezing temps and at temps eceeding 100 degrees?
tlar633 is offline Find More Posts by tlar633
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:56 AM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
TKing2097: Tom, is the proper way to mix aileron/rudder on my DX7 with the normal ail-rudder mix, or Aux 2, or ?. There are so many instructions on the setup that I do not want undesirable rudder movements with the aileron inputs in crow/reflex/camber. I think only about 15% rudder with aileron movement for coordinated turns when the Pro is so high that I cannot see the efficiency of the coordinated turn with normal rudder/aileron input without guessing...or what do you recommend?
Thanks for all your kind assistance.
1911tex is offline Find More Posts by 1911tex
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:00 PM
'Sky' King
Watauga, Texas
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911tex View Post
TKing2097: Tom, is the proper way to mix aileron/rudder on my DX7 with the normal ail-rudder mix, or Aux 2, or ?. There are so many instructions on the setup that I do not want undesirable rudder movements with the aileron inputs in crow/reflex/camber. I think only about 15% rudder with aileron movement for coordinated turns when the Pro is so high that I cannot see the efficiency of the coordinated turn with normal rudder/aileron input without guessing...or what do you recommend?
Thanks for all your kind assistance.
I do not use mixing for aileron to rudder at all, so I can't be of much help with this question.

The AILE -> RUDD menu appears to me to be the best choice to use for aileron to rudder mixing, and the 15% rate you propose also seems quite reasonable to me. Perhaps someone who has used the AILE -> RUDD setting on the DX7 can share what they use. The next time I am out with the Radian, I will give this a try, just so I know what it does.

When you are ready, I highly recommend learning manual aileron and rudder control, since it will provide you with a much wider range of control for thermal hunting, and even routine flying tasks than a single mix can provide.

- Tom
tking2097 is offline Find More Posts by tking2097
Old Jan 05, 2011, 02:08 PM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
@1911tex

I think if you use the AILE>RUDD mixing, you can set it as a toggle on the RUDD D/R switch. It should be called SW: MIX and you can see it toggle on and off as you flip the switch.

As you go into CROW, if the rudder moves as a slave of the AILE channel (which is what I'd expect), just remember to toggle off the A>R mixing.

As always, the MONITOR screen is your friend. Look at what moves and adjust accordingly.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:47 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
Thanks Tking and Xptical. I set it (DX7) up at 15% as per Xptical's suggestion above and will only use the mix when the Pro is at high altitude and I cannot see the coordinated manual rudder input; otherwise I will switch "off" the RUDD D/R switch for manual operation as I am used to. Seems like a good option. Thanks again!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:51 PM
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
You should also set up snap-flap on the same switch. Look for elev > flap mixing. Up elevator should give down flaps. You want maybe 1/4" of down flap at full up elevator.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:16 PM
Joined Nov 2010
287 Posts
[ You should also set up snap-flap on the same switch. Look for elev > flap mixing. Up elevator should give down flaps. You want maybe 1/4" of down flap at full up elevator. ]

Xptical: You went right over my head on that one!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 04:21 PM
Never enough time to fly!
SLC, UT
Joined Sep 2006
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xptical View Post
Here's my setup:

ACRO
AUX2: 3P SW...
Xptical, Is your setup for the DX7? If not, then I have my answer.
There are major differences between your setup and the one most of us are using for the DX7. I see that the flaps are very different. Does your setup allow for the use of Crow?
Thanks
ecase is offline Find More Posts by ecase
Old Jan 05, 2011, 06:03 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
In post 1595 Xptical says he uses a 11X and his friend uses a DX7.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull