Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 16, 2010, 03:57 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Rave
New Parkzone Radian Pro-discussion thread!!!

thought I would start this thread.

so word on the block is that Horizon Hobby is working on a full house 5 channel radian.

It includes: ailerons,flaps etc. with a new red color scheme PLUS new curved wingfoil.

A user here on rcgroups under the username-ozne69
went to a local hobbytown USA and bought a RTF Radian v1. So he thought he bought one but it turns out its a PROTOTYPE model of a new Radian PRO to be released in the next few weeks.

Word has it that the new radian will be released in the weeks ahead and will be in stores in 1-2 months.

Pictures are below
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:34 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
From the pics there seem to be a lot of nice upgrades beyond just the control surfaces. Looks as if PZ/Horizon listened to what the owners of the Radian complained about and made upgrades accordingly. I really like the fact they are using a clevis device instead of the original ez connectors with the cheap thumbscrews. One thing I don't understand is how the wings attach. The wing saddle isn't hollow and the root of the wings appear to be smooth, so they don't interlock.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:48 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
It should be interesting. I wonder if the electronics will be updated also? The 30 amp esc that currently is included is rated for "...5 analog or 4 digital sub-micro servos" so wouldn't be quite enough. Maybe this would require a separate BEC or receiver pack?

Assuming it ships with a Spektrum receiver, I wonder if this plane will encourage "casual" fliers to upgrade to a radio with variable flaps and programming to make use of the 4 servo wing? Would YOU fly a model with a radio that doesn't make full use of it's capabilities? (Plain aileron controls and two position flaps? (Full up or full down.) I don't know if I would. On my DX6i, I could handle the dual ailerons. For flaps I'd likely make the flaps switch move them half way, and try to mix the gear switch to move the flaps the other 50%. I think that's as adjustable as I could make it.

I'll sit back and see what happens.

Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:56 PM
Not your average DiggsyBear
Raleigh, NC
Joined Dec 2006
8,859 Posts
I am going to take a guess that it will come in BNF and PNP flavors only. I doubt they will do a RTF unless they release something better than the DX5e for their RTF planes and helis. I don't think the Micro 4-site had an RTF option because they recommended a TX with Expo.

I don't think the DX8 has levers/sliders on it either. I haven't checked it out that closely, but I don't think it is really geared towards sailplanes.

Diggs
Diggs is offline Find More Posts by Diggs
Old Sep 16, 2010, 05:15 PM
have gun will travel
USA, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Apr 2010
330 Posts
in post 5013 tango juliet talks about the wing being set up for a retaining screw! with the wing not passing all the way thru the fuse should make the fuse allot stronger over the wing. maybe they fixed the stupid plastic motor too. should be pretty cool set up with crow,camber and reflex.
scottrod31 is online now Find More Posts by scottrod31
Old Sep 16, 2010, 05:23 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,096 Posts
Looks nice !
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:16 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
Needs to be bigger! we all need a 3m radian
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:45 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinB View Post
Would YOU fly a model with a radio that doesn't make full use of it's capabilities? (Plain aileron controls and two position flaps?
Colin
I fly my BulleT with this Dx-7 (heli version); all I had last year. PIA to set up 4 servo wing, with the Dx-7. Flap is on three position switch.
I have the Futaba 8FG Tx now, going to FASST now with all my sailplanes and hotliners
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Last edited by 320pilot; Sep 16, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:20 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,665 Posts
Cool, I can't wait for the new version, but the original is still a keeper as well.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:25 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,410 Posts
..... arrrrgh, I just bought another Radian today.....

I hope the Radian PRO comes out very very soon.
Not a few weeks before Xmas ..... I can't wait that long....

:-)
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:30 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,801 Posts
Somebody at Horizon is going to get a royal reaming....seems the last few weeks they can't keep anything under wraps....

Looks like they boxed it up to return over seas, or to take it out for more field testing. Either way, if this proves to be legit, nice improvements to an already great plane.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Last edited by southernmd_man; Sep 16, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:32 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
yea, bad QA control back at china really screwed everything up
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:35 PM
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Oct 2008
4,046 Posts
well horizon denied it of course but we know it exists! And im sure somebody smacked in the head for this one.
verticalspark is offline Find More Posts by verticalspark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Well Traveled Glue
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:45 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by verticalspark View Post
well horizon denied it of course but we know it exists! And im sure somebody smacked in the head for this one.
ahem Chinese workers
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:52 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,801 Posts
Tech support is always outta the loop on things. I called them a few years ago the day the EFlite Sea Fury was released for some info, and they didn't know anything about it or that it was released. When one of the HH chiefs chimes in here, and I'm sure they will, then we'll know something.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man