SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:36 PM
Registered User
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
Discussion
Boom vang

Hello,

I see that all RC boats used rigid boom vang. Why? Why not use a boom vang as laser or similar?
DiasDePlaya is offline Find More Posts by DiasDePlaya
Last edited by DiasDePlaya; Sep 16, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:44 PM
Registered User
Dick L.'s Avatar
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,323 Posts
I usually use a "string" vang with bowsie for adjustment. While it is much faster to adjust dockside, there is a difficulty in repeating the adjustments each time.

But ..... it is faster, and no locking nuts to worry about with cold, wet fingers.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 10:27 PM
Registered User
thorsail's Avatar
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
928 Posts
one opinion would be that in really super light air conditions the rigid boom
vang will hold the boom UP when the boom is near the centerline , so that
the weight of the boom itself and the sail will not allow the shape of the
leech of the main to be affected . ie: the leech will not be over trimmed
because the boom cannot pull down the main closing off the aft edge of the main.
it keeps the leech open .
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Last edited by thorsail; Sep 16, 2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: ?
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:09 AM
Registered User
tbarjohn's Avatar
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
219 Posts
The EC 12 guys have a good vang idea, a spring loaded vang, so it will hold up the boom in light air and you can still sheet vang when you want to
http://www.ec12.info/Vang%20Build.htm
Dick I have not used a lock nut on my vangs in years, I use turnbuckle type vangs, with a slight amount of interference fit on the threads, just bring it in, turn the the wheel and your done.
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 03:06 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2005
2,723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarjohn View Post
The EC 12 guys have a good vang idea, a spring loaded vang, so it will hold up the boom in light air and you can still sheet vang when you want to
http://www.ec12.info/Vang%20Build.htm
Dick I have not used a lock nut on my vangs in years, I use turnbuckle type vangs, with a slight amount of interference fit on the threads, just bring it in, turn the the wheel and your done.
John R.
That's very clever John!
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:07 AM
Rick Lange
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Joined Apr 2010
56 Posts
For the Soling 1 M, only a rigid vang assures the correct twist in main sail.
Blue Heron is offline Find More Posts by Blue Heron
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:14 AM
Registered User
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Heron View Post
For the Soling 1 M, only a rigid vang assures the correct twist in main sail.
If a rope vang can assures the correct twist in a Laser (7 sq. mt. of sail) I don't see why not in a 1M Soling!
DiasDePlaya is offline Find More Posts by DiasDePlaya
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 10:27 AM
Registered User
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
one opinion would be that in really super light air conditions the rigid boom
vang will hold the boom UP when the boom is near the centerline , so that
the weight of the boom itself and the sail will not allow the shape of the
leech of the main to be affected . ie: the leech will not be over trimmed
because the boom cannot pull down the main closing off the aft edge of the main.
it keeps the leech open .
This is why I don't like rigid vangs. In super light conditions the wind is very variable, sometimes died completely and just few second after you find some wind, I prefer to use the natural shape of the main. When wind died completely I release completely the sheet tension, that is the same that I do when onboard a 40' sailboat. When the wind start again I prefer to work with the sheet to control the twist in super light conditions, this way I can adapt the twist for every blow.
DiasDePlaya is offline Find More Posts by DiasDePlaya
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 01:00 PM
Registered User
Dick L.'s Avatar
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,323 Posts
Also (big boat) when you have an 11 foot wide traveller, you can travel out, sheet in and remove twist and tighten leech - or vice versa. Travel in, sheet out and add twist.

Unfortunately so many r/c classes are restricted to only 2 channel radios by class rules.
Dick L. is online now Find More Posts by Dick L.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2007
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post
If a rope vang can assures the correct twist in a Laser (7 sq. mt. of sail) I don't see why not in a 1M Soling!
The soling have flat, single panel sails. The kit vang is a rope-vang, every skipper that wants to compete has changed it.

Ultimately is just a matter of preference/taste/looks, every system has his advantages/disadvantages, you just have to figure out where your balance lies.
gio06226 is offline Find More Posts by gio06226
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 04:50 PM
Registered User
poltergeist's Avatar
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
698 Posts
I prefer the consistant mainsail leech profile that a rigid boom vang affords....
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:05 PM
Registered User
Santiago, Chile
Joined Oct 2007
77 Posts
In my Victoria I made a 8:1 rope vang, and it is very precise, and sure is lighter than a metallic vang.
DiasDePlaya is offline Find More Posts by DiasDePlaya
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Homemade gooseneck and vang? Guz Sailboats 9 Sep 17, 2010 12:19 AM
Discussion Noob V32K vang install question stubobb Sailboats 1 Mar 24, 2008 06:03 PM
Question difference in keels and boom vang? machine Sailboats 1 Sep 05, 2006 05:25 PM
boom vang question tfbowen Sailboats 4 Jul 28, 2005 02:48 PM
Vang!?! We don't need no stinkin Vang! Do I? lost&confused Sailboats 8 Sep 19, 2004 12:43 PM