HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2010, 03:27 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Build Log
Radical RC Stick 400 Prototype Build Log

Well, I have a Radical RC Stick 400 prototype. This is a pre-release version with no instructions. Mostly complete and they match up to the Stick 600 instructions closely enough to work out.

The wing is 35 x 8.5 inch and the plane will be 600 to 700g with 175 to 200 watts. I have seen one flown like this. It's wild yet tames down like an E-Starter. The low aspect ratio allows high alpha maneuvers without stalling.

This plane will get a 15 to 20 minute wild flight on a 3S 1300 25 - 30 C. A 1200 KV Himax will take it vertical from realease and straight up at about 30 mph without a run. Get level and build up some speed, it will really shoot up there out of sight fast.

Not bad at all about excessive speed build up in a 400 feet to 40 feet dive. I watched it.

The background fuselage is a Laser Stik 10 for size comparison.
Chophop is online now Find More Posts by Chophop
Last edited by Chophop; Sep 16, 2010 at 07:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 05:38 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
This one looks like a wing in one night, the fuselage the next, then covering the third. energetic ones can do it all in a long day. I'll put some better photos up when the sun goes down.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:58 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Man this thing goes together quickly and easy. The hardest part is the cowl curve. Maybe need to wet and rubber band it first, it's a fairly sharp bend. The ailerons are below the wing, not installed yet. Deciding on piano hinge or CA hinge. Piano hinge will win as usual.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 09:12 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Here's the wing mount system. It is genius in function and simplicity. You'll never want to fool with rubber bands or screws again. Just push the wing in , it latches. To remove, push the latch lever, give the wing a little pat backwards, (it wedges in pretty good), and it's off. Takes a few seconds for each operation.

Finally, after all these years, a wing mount I truly like.

I have seen it on several of his planes and they hold just fine in flight.

There is the sacrificial block on the latch lever. It saves the wing on impact by breaking off and letting the wing come loose. That is probably in some but not all cases.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:33 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Now I'm working on the substitute power system. 1200 kv, APC 9x4.5E, and 3S 1300. Don't stick a heavy 3S 2200 30C in it, that will ruin the whole idea behind this plane. It needs a 100 to 110g battery, your choice of cell count. I hear a 680kv and 4S 900 will get a 20 minute flight.
This plane is totally awesome when close to 600g and 150 to 200 watts. Build it right and it won't rip apart in flight. I watched the test pilot do things I thought would rip the wing off for sure. And it takes gusty 10+ mph wind just fine, more than I would fly in and it didn't seem to show much buffeting.
Old Sep 18, 2010, 09:32 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Here's a few photos of both completed round and square tail options. It's cheap on the servos. It only needs 3 or 4 (optional) HS-55's. I really think after the second build, this plane could go together minus covering, in about 4 hours.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:26 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
A little more progress done. Install the control rods/horns, landing gear, electronics then cover, it's done.

Look at that aspect ratio. That wide wing and huge horizontal stabilizer must surely make a very fun handling plane. I have seen it fly, it's no mystery, it's probably going to be my favorite plane. It is pretty fast, about 50 mph, but can slow down, creep along inverted, push over upright, suddenly climb straight up to 400 feet then spin down to 40. And much more.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 10:53 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
About these plywood control horns. On the lasercut board, they seem flimsy and too flexible. But that is an illusion. Cut them off and you will find they are very stiff and strong. I am thinking of soaking some thin CA in to make them stronger, but that could make them stiff and brittle. Not sure, but I do think at least soak some thin CA around the clevis pin hole then rebore it. That should help keep the hole from wearing.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 03:23 PM
Joined Apr 2010
79 Posts
Looks like a blast to fly, have fun.

Beaver,
beaverchips95 is offline Find More Posts by beaverchips95
Old Sep 22, 2010, 03:26 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
Wait till a few people get ahold of these with a 120g or less battery. They'll be calling this one.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:11 PM
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Jun 2002
1,181 Posts
for some reason I love that type of plane..I had a proto Hangover from Paul and I loved that plane
mlehman is offline Find More Posts by mlehman
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:21 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
I think it's about two weeks from flying, in case of curiosity. Better get all the flying in you can up north here. Those 3 week winds will be along soon.

Finally bent the landing gear out. Goofed one set up and the 2nd try was good. I'll probably buy a few sets from Radical so I won't bend the landing gear up in a situation. That's the way I do it, keep a spare and I won't need it. No spare and surely I will.
Last edited by Chophop; Sep 22, 2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:28 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Looking at the pix in Msg. 7. Are you sure you've got the ailerons on right? In any plane I've owned, if they're tapered in width, the wider part is near the wing root. I think it has to do with not stalling the wing-tip.

FWIW, the construction has many similarities to the other Dave Thacker plane that I've built.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chophop View Post
There is the sacrificial block on the latch lever. It saves the wing on impact by breaking off and letting the wing come loose. That is probably in some but not all cases.
That's the theory. Didn't quite work out that way on my Intern-66.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,885 Posts
No way to install them backwards, the control horn cutouts are on the inside and I have seen two other prototypes. The wing mount gives more chance of damage prevention than bolts, they will rip. Probably rubber bands also.

I have seen it fly, and no complaint. 15 minute wild flights on a $12 battery ? I'll take it.