HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2010, 01:41 PM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Discussion
Has anyone tried this camera, Sony Alpha NEX-5

Has anyone tried the Sony Alpha NEX-5. I think it has SLR size sensor, a nice big lens and weighs around 260g. Its low light, high ISO capabilities are supposed to be great. I want to buy one but would love to get some feedback. It also does HD video
talkthetorque is offline Find More Posts by talkthetorque
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:33 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
It is a four thirds or maybe APS-C size sensor, probably pretty decent but I have not looked at it yet.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Sep 16, 2010, 02:52 PM
Oregon Coast
Joined Jul 2008
513 Posts
Hear are some reviews.
http://www.dphotojournal.com/sony-al...sample-photos/
-E
Ellis108 is offline Find More Posts by Ellis108
Old Sep 16, 2010, 04:33 PM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Thanks guys. I'd also like reviews from guys who have tried it on AP platforms or are from an AP back round to know if there are any issues in this area.
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:45 AM
Linköping, Sweden
Joined Dec 2002
26 Posts
No experience myself but check out this guys review. He is very much a hands on photographer that have some thoughts of the user interface of the camera. Image quality seems very good though.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...ony-nex5.shtml

Anders
anspe is offline Find More Posts by anspe
Old Sep 17, 2010, 11:59 AM
Frogman
Stoughton, WI
Joined Jun 2009
1,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkthetorque View Post
Has anyone tried the Sony Alpha NEX-5. I think it has SLR size sensor, a nice big lens and weighs around 260g. Its low light, high ISO capabilities are supposed to be great. I want to buy one but would love to get some feedback. It also does HD video
It's still so new very few people have them in their possession yet. It's hard to know how it will do on an AP/AV setup till more have tried them. I will say I have seen a number of images and videos from the Canon T2i and 5D/7D setup on a AV platform and if you get the vibes out the quality is stunning. It's essentially the same kind of setup so I assume it will be pretty good.

I have a videographer colleague that was a pre-release tester of the cams and made a few Sony promo videos with it that were very very nice. If you had the funds and wanted to give it a whirl we will be glad to critique it for you. Keep in mind that if you did try it out and it didn't work well or wasn't what you hoped those kinds of camera hold their value really well and you will be most of your investment out of it on resale. Just something to think about.

I would love to try one.
frogman1206 is offline Find More Posts by frogman1206
Old Sep 17, 2010, 12:24 PM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
Thanks guys. Yeah I will probably still buy one and put it on my camera ship. I'm have 3 Nikon P5100's that I have on my quad and 2 planes and I think this would be a nice camera to replace them. Dark shadow noise is still a bit high with the P5100's and I think this camera will do well there. Specially when you need a good dynamic range and have to do shoots into the sun with bright sky and dark shadows
Old Sep 17, 2010, 08:35 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,688 Posts
I'll just add that Sony knows how to make sensors and that I was considering buying a NEX 3 or 5 for my self (but not for AP). Bought my mom a new camera to take on a vacation instead.
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:36 PM
Brighton, England
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
One of the main disadvantages of that camera for AP is that it only has HDMI output so you would be able to have any live feed

Denham
DENHAMDULAKE is offline Find More Posts by DENHAMDULAKE
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:31 PM
Joined Nov 2007
547 Posts
I didnt know that but that said I used to use the live feed from my other cameras until I started doing some FPV during the photo run. Because the camera goes off while the data is stored to the card I had to use a separate camera anyway
Old Sep 20, 2010, 10:48 AM
Brighton, England
Joined Mar 2009
385 Posts
It does look like a great camera certainly video wise. In a few comparisons and reviews though there are complaints of colour fringing and barrelling on the lens and results not as sharp as the GF1 even though the pixel count is higher. Also the menu and camera setting are very software and menu driven and are supposed to be fiddly. It maybe better to wait for the updated version of this as this is sony's first generation.

Even though this camera seem great I would look at the GF1 as an alternative. I think you'd maybe get better stills although the video should be superior on the NEX-5

Denham
DENHAMDULAKE is offline Find More Posts by DENHAMDULAKE