HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:19 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
Discussion
First experience with Hobbypartz.com, not good at all!

I ordered a 2040 inrunner and matching cooling jacket from them on August 27th, the order shipped on the 30th and just arrived yesterday (September 15th). I was a little put off already, since I placed an order from overseas after this one shipped, and it arrived a full week earlier. To be fair, I do live in Canada so I was expecting a couple extra days, but 2.5 weeks is too long IMO.

I opened up the motor, slid on the cooling jacket and put on the coupler (it's going in a boat) just to make sure it fit the shaft. Next I hooked it up to an ESC, and gave it just a tiny bit of throttle (around 1/8th, just enough to get it turning). Almost instantly the shaft sheared off right at the bearing.

I called the support line, waited a few minutes. I could barely hear the person on the other end, and all I got was an email with RMA instructions (requiring me to ship the defective motor back at my cost!), and the computer voice saying "good bye". To top it all off, it could take 5-10 business days AFTER they receive it before they action it, and then ship a replacement out. Even if I get it to them overnight, that still means A MONTH before I have my replacement, seriously?

It's not worth it to me to pay another ~$10 to ship the motor back when it was only $13 in the first place. I was hoping this would work out so I have a north american source, but it's just not worth it if this is how it works out. I'll just continue to order from overseas since it's cheaper, gets here faster and I haven't had a quality issue with anything yet.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
to remove ads between posts