SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:04 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3,962 Posts
There were reports earlier about the canopy conversion changing the traits of the t28. Some thought it was putting more weight higher above the wing and raising the center of gravity vertically.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2011, 10:30 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Mine had the canopy conversion on it when I bought it.

On the maden, I just put a battery in it and flew it. I found it super easy to fly and way more forgiving than a Mustang. I landed and took out all of the expo and dual rates I had put in for the maiden.

The Canopy can't do too much to the flight characteristics, because I can't imagine a low wing 4-channel plane being easier to fly.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Jan 15, 2011, 03:04 AM
But often down to earth
Oklahoma, USA
Joined Sep 2010
736 Posts
Here are some of the pics transformed to be more circular, better centered and remove the prop. I printed between 1.22-1.25" wide depending on how you trim them. They look great.

I do worry about motor getting hot. Does anyone know if it gets hot? Small brushed motors don't last long. I wouldn't think heat would help any. I don't understand why HH doesn't use brushless. A few more bucks would be worth it.

Steve
Floater73 is offline Find More Posts by Floater73
Last edited by Floater73; Jan 15, 2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 04:07 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floater73 View Post
Here are some of the pics transformed to be more circular, better centered and remove the prop. I printed between 1.22-1.25" wide depending on how you trim them. They look great.

I do worry about motor getting hot. Does anyone know if it gets hot? Small brushed motors don't last long. I wouldn't think heat would help any. I don't understand why HH doesn't use brushless. A few more bucks would be worth it.

Steve
Someone has done a brushless conversion. Hobbycity has a 1S brushless motor and ESC. The AR6400 has an option to connect a brushless ESC to the brushless motor plug. I haven't one the conversion myself but it is mentioned in the UM t-28 thread (the big one). I think the motor and ESC are about $15. Don't know the the weights are.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:57 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
Someone has done a brushless conversion. Hobbycity has a 1S brushless motor and ESC. The AR6400 has an option to connect a brushless ESC to the brushless motor plug. I haven't one the conversion myself but it is mentioned in the UM t-28 thread (the big one). I think the motor and ESC are about $15. Don't know the the weights are.

Glen
Would you have the link to the 1s motor? I did a search for what you mention up here, but I don't know enough to know which motor that could be. How do you determine that the kv is adequate?
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:06 AM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
Would you have the link to the 1s motor? I did a search for what you mention up here, but I don't know enough to know which motor that could be. How do you determine that the kv is adequate?
I knew I should have taken more time on my other post but it was early and I was half asleep. But here they are.

Motor: http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9663

ESC's (2):
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7184

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9667

Glen
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:20 PM
Joined Oct 2007
702 Posts
Very cool Glen, thanks for posting the links!

If anyone attempts the brushless conversion, please post pics and procedures for the project!
MinneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by MinneFlyer
Old Jan 15, 2011, 02:42 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
The users guide for the AR6400L is at:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...0-L-Manual.pdf

Refer to page 7 (middle of the page) for instructions on connecting a brushless ESC.

There is also an AR6400LBL which is a brushless Rx/ESC/ Servo combination. It costs about $70. Saves the cost and weight of an additional ESC. However this unit requires a 2S LiPo. I would guess this is the unit that goes into the Beast.

Glen
Last edited by ggcrandall1; Jan 15, 2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: added additional information.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:28 AM
caveo hun in sol solis
USA, NY, Levittown
Joined Jul 2010
143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airlinerlover View Post
I was thinking about that canopy. Heard that it added weight but never really heard how much weight. Did it change your flight times enemyace? If so how much? And Just out of pure curiosity, could it be the same canopy out of guillow's balsa T-28 kit? I believe the guillows model and the parkzone model are similar in size. Just curious. Could buy guillows kit for ten bucks at my LHS and not have to wait for it.
Havent flown it yet.It will be my first time with the plane lol I dont think it adds much weight.I think its worth it for the detail.
enemyace19 is offline Find More Posts by enemyace19
Old Jan 16, 2011, 05:51 PM
Can we lift the embargo?
menands flats, NY
Joined Dec 2006
1,615 Posts
subscrd. Havn't gotten this bird (yet ) but I will be and if you don't stay on top of these threads you can miss alot!
kenstogie is online now Find More Posts by kenstogie
Old Jan 16, 2011, 06:19 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post

There is also an AR6400LBL which is a brushless Rx/ESC/ Servo combination. It costs about $70. Saves the cost and weight of an additional ESC. However this unit requires a 2S LiPo. I would guess this is the unit that goes into the Beast.

Glen
That is correct. It seems like that the foam could be trimmed to use a 2S. Might be actually feasible to up the whole motor/esc & battery.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jan 16, 2011, 09:03 PM
3D, 1D at a time!
United States, TX, Plano
Joined Aug 2010
4,028 Posts
Don't know if y'all have seen this... but....

Parkzone UM T-28 Trojan Tail Hook Mod (0 min 54 sec)
Park_aviator is offline Find More Posts by Park_aviator
Old Jan 17, 2011, 05:59 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,548 Posts
About the canopy

The canopy I make for this model is original. I did the tooling directly from the Parkzone fuselage.
That is why it fits as well as it does.

Yes It does add a small amount of weight but is reduced when you remove the foam canopy .
I tried to measure the difference but my scale wouldn't pick it up.

If you use some common sense and don't go overboard with the epoxy and paint you will not notice a difference in the way it flies.

I have no idea how much glue the guys are using That have reported problems but that is the only thing I can think of that would cause it.
I only wish they would have let me know so we could look into it.
sparks is online now Find More Posts by sparks
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:59 AM
Airplane Dope
USA, WI, Rio
Joined Nov 2009
329 Posts
My mods are: Removable Canopy(It has Notches and a rubberband to hold it on.), and insulation for battery on bottom. I'm planning on converting it to brushless, and I want to keep it cheap. Would these work?
Motor http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7230
ESC http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10573

EDIT: Most Importantly, I changed the location of the battery to inside the plane, so I can open the canopy to put it in and take it out, so I don't have to insulate the battery place, and so hopefully it will have longer flight times.
AddictedToRC is offline Find More Posts by AddictedToRC
Last edited by AddictedToRC; Jan 18, 2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:42 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcplanekid View Post
My mods are: Removable Canopy(complete with notches and super-simple but not so good latch.), and insulation for battery on bottom. I'm planning on converting it to brushless, and I want to keep it cheap. Would these work?
Motor http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...idProduct=7230
ESC http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...dProduct=10573
The motor might be OK but the ESC is way to big. Refer back in this thread for a better choice of ESC.

Glen