HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:50 PM
United States, TX, Conroe
Joined Oct 2012
11 Posts
T-28 Halloween Costume

Here's my T-28 dressed up like a F8F Bearcat for halloween.
Loserboy is offline Find More Posts by Loserboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,238 Posts
bearcat looks sweet! nice work.
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:08 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
Very Nice..
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:38 PM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
745 Posts
Added lights to my T-28

Just reading through this forum.
Some really good info on this bird, which I used to learn on (also many hours on Phoenix RC).

Ive been flying for 2 and half years now and own most of the ultra micro fleet from HH.

Anyways, flying the UM T-28 has given me so much joy and confidence that I bought the full sized one by Parkzone.

Recently I added a set of lights to my UM T-28, from SF Design Solutions.
Awesome lights and service, Ill definitely buy some more in the future (thinking about putting them on my UM MIG 15! and Corsair.)

My UM T-28 is pretty old now and the motor really struggles, its time to change the motor over to a new one.

I have a new standard motor spare that I bought for another project, however its yet to be used.

I read that people go brushless in their Trojans. Im kind of leaning to go that way myself - a 2S setup, with a brushless motor.

Im thinking that Ill buy canopy mod (park flyer plastics) and that should allow me to put the 2S battery inside the fuse... Apart from carbon fibre rods down the wings, what is the general consensus about what Im planning?

Will it be worth it? My Trojan has always been my go to plane, always ready in the car boot for a sortie, but since flying the UM Spit and Skyangel Nano Trojan shes looking a bit old and tired.

I had thought of modding her with retracts. (Have them from Yellow Baron, just need the steerable nose gear one that he's built.)
But with the lights taking the Xport cant really see that happening!

Regards,
Nath
Groovechampion is offline Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, KY, Booneville
Joined Jul 2012
407 Posts
She looks good to me upgrade it man
medic45 is offline Find More Posts by medic45
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:31 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
649 Posts
There's a guy on you tube that did his to brushless and it looks awesome. He flies it in his front yard and it really cooks. He starts the video with a list of what he uses.i have a extra fuselage and wing that I bought for spares, but I never crash it hard enough.so I don't think I will ever use them. I just got the spit with as3x and the rudder servo doesn't work. Hobby zone sent me a new brick so I'm thinking of putting the one with no rudder in my spare fuselage with a motor from rcbabbel. I think the lighter t-28 with as3x and a stronger motor might be cool. Should be a good winter project. All I need is a aileron servo and tail assembly. eBay here I come.
dbdukeboy is offline Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:07 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,087 Posts
GC, just add an SX motor from RC Babbel. 2S power is going to be alot of trouble, in case you aren't familiar.
-get the right ESC
-get the right motor
-either use the brushless ESC converter and a diode in the battery wire or plug the esc into the xport and then there's a huge diagram of diodes and wires and connectors that you have to solder to make it all work on 2S
-now you have to mount the motor, with a few degrees down thrust and about 5-10 degrees right thrust.

The canopy mod from parkflyer plastics is beautiful, makes her a little top heavy, but if you use a bigger battery in the battery compartment(like the mini aviation 190 or a hyp 240) it should even it out. The SX motor from RC babbel would add about a 20-30% increase in thrust. However, if you do the brushless 2S, your power could dwarf that!! It all depends, an easy plug n play option for more a power. Or a modeling project that will have its own frustrations and rewards and all the modelling pleasures.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:55 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
745 Posts
Cheers Airpower,
So your recommending that I go for a 1S brushless upgrade?
Which is a SX motor from RC babbel and a ESC that can handle the amp draw?
I like the option of an easy upgrade without too much hassle.
Will I still be able to power the lights that I put in with a 1S brushless?

Nath.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:19 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,087 Posts
The sx motor is actually brushed, which decreases the hassle! The esc will handle the amp draw fine, the lights will work fine.
You will not see much of a power increase unless you use 25c+ batteries.
Also no one has ever had a SX motor wear out, they have extremely long longevity.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:52 PM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
745 Posts
Thanks Airpower, as soon as I get some cash I will go the SX motor, ESC and new batteries. Thanks for the advice.

Regards, Nath.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:39 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,087 Posts
You wont need an ESC for the SX motor. Just the motor, it will plug in exactly like stock and fit in the gearbox exactly like stock.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:13 AM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
745 Posts
Great Airpower, that's good to know, as my soldering skills are terrible and didn't fancy the hassle of installing a ESC aswell.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:15 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,087 Posts
Im the same way, i was not afraid to solder but i had a brain tumor that brought my fine motor skills on par with an old man, so im always looking for the cleanest easiest solution.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Im the same way, i was not afraid to solder but i had a brain tumor that brought my fine motor skills on par with an old man, so im always looking for the cleanest easiest solution.

you know, i have those days too (not as bad as you, im sure, i get hypoglycemic) and i keep tossing around an idea for a arm based on hobby servo to take input from an old school computer joystick and move it really slow. the massive reduction should take out the jitters.

the love tiny machines, i hand solder SMD part. it would be great for that too.
but right now, i have no servos big enough. im shooting for 9g servos. i want a machine the size of a shoebox.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Nov 10, 2012, 07:26 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,087 Posts
That sounds great nemoskull, id be very interested to see how that turns out, if you ever make a build thread show me the link.