Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:32 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccessna View Post
does any one have a setup with 2 aileron servos for flap-erons?
~tucker
What is your goal in adding flaps? I ask because I added a second aileron servo to my first Sukhoi 26m a few years ago with the intent of slowing it down for indoor flying. I was unsucessful as flying with full width flaps added instability via tip stalling (as others have shared). I still fly this Sukhoi and indoors I now fly it higher-alpha using the ailerons as spoilers (reflex) with added up-elevator to hold the angle. Basically I added a switch that when on deflects to ailerons into spoilers at about 30 degrees, and adds up elevator about 50%. To fly I need to reduce throttle and basically cruise around using more prop then wing. Actually is quite stable even this close to the stall speed. When I am right on the edge of a stall the wings rock side to side as an indicator.

FYI I still do use flaps on this Sukhoi but now only in another mix that is defeatable. I like my snap flaps that couple elevator-flaps at 100% for some insamely tight loops!
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2012, 01:47 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Motherwell
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
hey guys im new to this but ive been told to upgrade it to brushless system but i got a limited budget lol something around 20 a think thats $31 lol not to sure but thats what a got to spend and i heard miniaviation 1s lipos are good lol i think i would probably buy from hk any ideas ? and links ? has anyone had a good esc and bl motor from hk? 2bh i really dont want to spend much on this plane because i dont want to spend more than what i bought it for lol 50 lol
Paramanic is offline Find More Posts by Paramanic
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:12 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
For me i did not need to upgrade to brushless at all i just put a 25C lipo in and i was fine i use thunder power 160mah 25c and i can get 6 min out of them with full throttle the whole flight. MA's i heard are also nice and are 190mah 25 but i have never used them just buy either thunder power 25c of horizonhobby.com or buy MA's 25c. thats all you really need. The stock batterys are 12-14C and so if you double that power it makes such a difference.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
thanks mate aye a will try that btw heres a good website a guy told me he gets 26mins out of this battery with scale type flying http://miniaviation.com/KM_190P.html
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:25 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paramanic View Post
thanks mate aye a will try that btw heres a good website a guy told me he gets 26mins out of this battery with scale type flying http://miniaviation.com/KM_190P.html
yes that is the website. Im sure you can get over 15 min thats if your 1/4 throttle the whole time. But i always do rolls and stuff like that so i usally always on the throttle.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:29 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,786 Posts
Anything longer than ten minutes is going to start burning the motor. Not a problem if you can afford motors. I fly for about 7 to 10 minutes. Let it rest while I fly something else. Then repeat. I have the MA batts, and IMHO they ROCK!!! You may wanna consider getting a GWS 5043 prop with MA batts. No need to go BL then. Lee
leethetreeguy is online now Find More Posts by leethetreeguy
Old Jan 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Anything longer than ten minutes is going to start burning the motor. Not a problem if you can afford motors. I fly for about 7 to 10 minutes. Let it rest while I fly something else. Then repeat. I have the MA batts, and IMHO they ROCK!!! You may wanna consider getting a GWS 5043 prop with MA batts. No need to go BL then. Lee
thats why i just went with the 160mah TP they have plenty of time for me.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:17 PM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,786 Posts
Yea, but the MA's have more kick. whoot hoo
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:30 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
haha we have had this thunder power vs. MA disscussion already lol.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
209 Posts
nice man a was looking at that cockpit mod looks nice with a new cockpit :P http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=524
lol so much to do lol i actualy got this little plane for just mucking around with and now i really like it my pz p51d mustang is good but scared to crash lol but gonna change the total look of my p-51d mustang and now that i really like my little plane a might change the look of it too :P
Old Jan 22, 2012, 01:25 AM
Less Work More Play
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
I have just decided to get back into RC (after 15 years and never actually succeeding at a solo flight). I took a gamble and bought the T-28 instead of the Champ as my LHS was out of Champs and I have put many hours into the Phoenix sim so felt confident! I am soooo glad I did as it is seriously fun to fly!!!!! I have only had it for 2 days but am totally addicted.

Anyway a couple of questions.
1. I tried to add some glue to the front of the fuselage for extra strength but it ate the foam. What type of glue can I use and also what paint can I use? Would normal hobby paint work? I don't want to eat any more of my plane away!
2. I've read that the Lipo's need special attention, What temperature should I store them at, and at what temp should they be just before use?
3. Is there some special way I am supposed to 'break' the Lipo's in? I think I read this somewhere but all the battery forums seem to talk about multi cell's and balance chargers. I just have the stock PZ charger.

Many thanks for any advice. Cheers Dan
LWMP is offline Find More Posts by LWMP
Old Jan 22, 2012, 08:02 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,817 Posts
1. I did that, too starting out. Use foam safe CA, Gorilla glue or hot glue.

2. They can be stored any temp below "hot". They work best if they are not "cold."

3. See Lipo Basics.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:53 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Winder Ga
Joined Sep 2008
11,786 Posts
Welcome Dan. In my opinion, it is best to leave the trojan as close to stock as possible. Very light and floaty. A real winner from HH. You will be repairing it enough and every time adds weight. Even if it is just a small piece for clear tape to repair a rip. Good luck and happy Flyin. Lee
Old Jan 23, 2012, 02:28 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy View Post
Welcome Dan. In my opinion, it is best to leave the trojan as close to stock as possible. Very light and floaty. A real winner from HH. You will be repairing it enough and every time adds weight. Even if it is just a small piece for clear tape to repair a rip. Good luck and happy Flyin. Lee
Ditto on this. The only real upgrade worth doing short of conversion to 2S is buying the punchiest 1S lipo battery in appropriate sizes.

Example, with no/little wind, I use 125mah 25C Thunderpower 1S lipos. MUCH better than stock Eflite 120mah. For more wind, the 250mah Eflite 20C lipos are pretty good.

Most other mods add too much mass and rob the mod of the expected improvement.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
Old Jan 23, 2012, 04:01 PM
Less Work More Play
Australia, VIC, Ferntree Gully
Joined Jan 2012
88 Posts
Thanks Guys and thanks for the link saxguy this is the sort of info I was after.

I'm not looking at modifying so much as fixing/reinforcing the front end. Also the reason I ask about the paint is to rapir the now missing paint on the front. I just bought 4 x 160mah nano-tech batteries from Hobby King so that I can rotate them and stay at my local oval for longer. However, now I am concerned that if I was to run 5-6 batteries one after the other it might burn out the motor or ESC. Is that true? I am in Melbourne and the temp is 91 today (33celcius)

It really is a great plane, I was flying around inverted yesterday until I forgot that the controls were reversed and dove straight into the ground! opps. But the plane is still fine. I think it has plenty of power for my level of experience at the momnet but I might look at getting some of those thunder power batteries down the track or if I get the pole cat one day.
LWMP is offline Find More Posts by LWMP